N-400 San Francisco timeline

Civic questions

Can't help but to share this.
I noticed that some questions (and answers) in the sample civic questions at the back of the Guide is misleading. What do you do when you get these types of questions?
For example:
Q:What is the United States Capital?
A:The place where Congress meets
The answer to this should really be Washington, D.C.
The answer in the guide should be for "What is the US Capitol?", which is a repeated question from earlier number/problem.

Not sure whether the question has a typo (should be capitol instead of capital) or the answer in the guide is wrong?

Anyone had this question? What did you answer during the interview??

In addition, there are many typos which lead to different meaning: strips vs stripes...

Just a thought....
Thanks!

i t says I have passed the civics test but A decision cannot yet be made about your application.And I did not received N-14 now .I have write to them to inquir.

Oath letter received

Received my oath letter today. Oath is in San Francisco on Feb 21st.

harpers_ferry said:
My wife and me attended the interview today. Interview was successful. My interview was at 9:10 AM but reached the office around 8:50 AM. After 5 minutes they called us inside. The lady who did the interview is cheerful and courteous. Very quick interview. Interview is done in 10 minutes. First she gone through my N-400 application. Asked all the standard questions.

I mentioned about Traffic violation which I didn't mention in the application. I told that I have the additional documentation like traffic school certificate etc.. She said it is fine and didn't look into it.

She asked 3 questions to me.

1. National Anthem
2. How many stripes in the US flag
3. 13 Original colonies.

She also asked me write a simple sentence.

My wife interviewer asked her 10 questions. All the questions are from standard 100 civic questions.

We both got N-652 and as well as the US Passport application form. Oath might be on Feb 21st. Otherwise it will be on March 21st.

Thanks for everyone in the forum who guided me through the whole process. One more step before the USC.

:)

Time Line:
PD: 10/14/05
FP date: 11/29/05
Interview date: 02/08/06
Oath date: 02/21/06

Did you request them for an earlier Oath

harpers_ferry said:
Received my oath letter today. Oath is in San Francisco on Feb 21st.

Time Line:
PD: 10/14/05
FP date: 11/29/05
Interview date: 02/08/06
Oath date: 02/21/06

Wow ! That's quick ! Did you request them for an earlier Oath or are they processing really fast. My date of Interview was same. Just curious :)

tdesai said:
The other thing was my spouse is having her interview in the second week at Oakland and was wondering if I go along there, would it be possible to inquire about the same there - either by me or by her after her interview is completed.

My spouse after she was done with her interview told the female officer about my case that I had still not received the interview letter and .... The female officer told my spouse to check at the front desk about my case status since she (the officer) would not have any access to the same. I had accompanied my spouse for her interview at the INS office and so after she walked out, she told me to inquire at the front desk. In the beginning, I was hesitant but then we just walked there and told him (clerk at front desk) that my FP was done on 12/27/05 and still not received the interview letter. The clerk at the front desk was very helpful and asked for my greencard. I had taken the greencard with me and showed it to him. He punched in a few numbers and after about 5-6 minutes, he kept on looking at the screen in front of him and asked me if I had changed my address. I told him that I have been staying at the same place all these years and that I got the receipt and FP letters without problem. He then told me that my interview was next month verbally. I then heard the humming sound of the printer next to him, which made me think that he will print me a interview appointment notice letter and I turned out to be right. He handed me the interview appointment notice letter for my interview scheduled in the 3rd week of March. The front desk clerk/officer told me that normally they would receive the letter back but in my case there was no such indication. The letter was posted sometime between 20 and 26th Jan, which matches with my online status missing from 23rd January, 2006.

Anyway, I now have my interview appointment notice.

So, I guess in **MOST** cases, if your online status goes missing after your FP
has been taken, and if you don't receive the interview appt letter even
4 weeks after your online status goes missing, schedule an INFOPASS appt.
and that should help you. In my case, I had already scheduled an Infopass
appointment for INS SFO office tomorrow morning, which I just cancelled,
now that I don't need it.

Also, I was lucky/fortunate enough to get the interview app. letter without
any infopass from the INS Oakland office. Not sure if they help everyone
or I just turned out to be lucky..

Thanks to everyone..

Last edited by a moderator:
CSC/San Francisco DO - Oakland

N-400 Application Send : 11/03/2005
Application Received : 11/05/2005
Checks Cashed : 11/15/2005
Notice Date : 11/30/2005
Priority Date : 11/07/2005
Notice Letter Sent On : 12/01/2005
Notice Letter Rcvd On : 12/03/2005
Online Status Appeared : 12/02/2005
FP Notice Date : 12/14/2005
FP Notice Date Sent On : 12/15/2005
FP Notice Received On : 12/19/2005
FP Appointment Date : 12/28/2005
FP sent to and results returned by FBI: 12/28/2005
Interview Notice Date : ??????
Interview Notice Sent On : ?????? (No letter received in mail, seems lost)
Interview Notice Rcvd On : ??????
Interview Date : 03/17/2006 (INS Oakland, 1301 Clay St, Room 380N)
(Interview Appointment Notice - Given in Person)

In fact, it states that very explicitly on the appt. notice. The notice handed
to me in person does refer to Application Number, PD, Received Date.

In the address space, it says
"XXXX Y ZZZZZ"
Given in Person

And has today's date on it.

==================================================

kdesai said:
Jurisdiction: CSC/San Francisco DO - Oakland
Application Sent : 11/03/2005
Application Received : 11/05/2005
Check Cashed : 11/15/2005
Received Date on Receipt : 11/07/2005
Priority Date on Receipt : 11/07/2005
Notice Date on Receipt : 11/19/2005
Receipt Notice Letter Sent On : 11/21/2005
Received Official Receipt : 11/23/2005
Online Status Appeared : 11/23/2005
FP Notice Date : 11/19/2005
FP Notice Date Sent On : 11/21/2005
FP Notice Received On : 11/23/2005
FP Date (on notice) : 12/09/2005
FP Taken On : 12/03/2005 (out of town on 12/09 and
so went early, request accepted)
FP sent to and results returned by FBI : 12/03/2005
Interview Notice Date: 12/14/2005
Interview Notice Date Sent On: 12/15/2005
Interview Notice Received On: 12/16/2005
Interview Date: 02/16/2006 (Oakland Office - 1301 Clay St)

Interview Done!!!
Got the N-652 with "Congratulations, your application has been recommended for approval...." checked off.

Went to the INS Oakland. My appointment was at 10.45 am.
(BTW, there are 2-3 parking garages on the left side slight ahead near the
intersection of 14th street and Clay). No camera phones allowed and so
put mine in the car before I walked to the building. There was a line of
about 6-8 folks waiting to be screened before allowing to enter. If you
enter the building from Clay St side, then look on the right side entrance
door and take the elevator to the 3rd floor and follow directions for
Room 380N.

I reached Room 380N at 10.18 am. I put the appt. letter in the tray near
the front desk. At about 10.28 am, one female officer called my name.
As soon as I walked in her office the officer had me take the oath to tell the
truth and asked me for my GC, passport and DL Id.

The officer went thru all the entire N-400 form from first page to last.
In the middle name on the application, I had only put the initial, which
the officer corrected and asked me to put the entire middle name.

The officer asked me all the questions which are on N-400 page. I told the
officer about the traffic ticket, which I had listed there. She did not bother to
see or verify anything whatsoever. The only thing which she looked in detail
was about the stamps on the passport after looking at the page wherein I
had listed 2 abroad trips. She asked me about 1-2 date stamps on my
passport and I told her as to when and where I went and the duration
as listed on the N-400 form.

She finally had me sign the n -400 using my full name in cursive (first middle last) in the box on the n-400 form. She did not check or ask for any documents except
for the 1-2 date stamps on my passport. The photos which I had submitted were
1.5 x 1.5 and not 2 x 2. The officer as a result told me that it would be difficult
to sign on that and so asked me to get 2 photos (2x2) and gave me the address
as to where I could have the photos done. She also handed me a form and a fast
pass to use (to enter the building again) and asked me to return the photos and
the form at the front desk.

She handed me a paper with about 10-12 questions and asked me to read out every question and then on answer it as well. I answered all the questions correctly after which the officer asked me to write the sentence - I went to Oakland for the interview today. She ticked mark all the questions after I was done.

She then handed me the N-652 and the passport application (which I noticed were being handed over to other interview folks as well).

I went to the photo studio as indicated on the address handed over to me
by the officer, got the photos and returned the same at the front desk. The front
desk clerk asked me to wait until he showed the photos to the officer. After 2 minutes, the clerk came back and told me that the officer was fine with the new submitted photos and that I could go..I was done at about 11.25 with the whole
thing..

The staff at the INS office was extremely courteous and helpful. The front desk
folks even helped us to check on the status of my spouse's interview letter (which he has yet not received), and told us about his interview next month. When my spouse told the front desk officer, that he had not yet received any letter, the front desk clerk printed out the same and handed him the interview notice letter.

Congratulation!! And thanks for the detailed information.

Did the immigration officer tell you when you should expect the oath letter? Did she tell you anything about backgroud/name check? Is it done?

Thanks again.

supernet said:
Congratulation!! And thanks for the detailed information.

Did the immigration officer tell you when you should expect the oath letter? Did she tell you anything about backgroud/name check? Is it done?

Thanks again.

I didn't ask the officer about the oath letter and neither did she tell me anything.

She didn't tell me about any background/name check as well..

I guess I will just wait for 4-5 weeks since I guess most folks in SFO and
SJC area typically receive their oath letter in the above stipulated
time frame based on the case data posted on the forums here..

kdesai said:
Interview Done!!!
Got the N-652 with "Congratulations, your application has been recommended for approval...." checked off.

Went to the INS Oakland. My appointment was at 10.45 am.
(BTW, there are 2-3 parking garages on the left side slight ahead near the
intersection of 14th street and Clay). No camera phones allowed and so
put mine in the car before I walked to the building. There was a line of
about 6-8 folks waiting to be screened before allowing to enter. If you
enter the building from Clay St side, then look on the right side entrance
door and take the elevator to the 3rd floor and follow directions for
Room 380N.

I reached Room 380N at 10.18 am. I put the appt. letter in the tray near
the front desk. At about 10.28 am, one female officer called my name.
As soon as I walked in her office the officer had me take the oath to tell the
truth and asked me for my GC, passport and DL Id.

The officer went thru all the entire N-400 form from first page to last.
In the middle name on the application, I had only put the initial, which
the officer corrected and asked me to put the entire middle name.

The officer asked me all the questions which are on N-400 page. I told the
officer about the traffic ticket, which I had listed there. She did not bother to
see or verify anything whatsoever. The only thing which she looked in detail
was about the stamps on the passport after looking at the page wherein I
had listed 2 abroad trips. She asked me about 1-2 date stamps on my
passport and I told her as to when and where I went and the duration
as listed on the N-400 form.

She finally had me sign the n -400 using my full name in cursive (first middle last) in the box on the n-400 form. She did not check or ask for any documents except
for the 1-2 date stamps on my passport. The photos which I had submitted were
1.5 x 1.5 and not 2 x 2. The officer as a result told me that it would be difficult
to sign on that and so asked me to get 2 photos (2x2) and gave me the address
as to where I could have the photos done. She also handed me a form and a fast
pass to use (to enter the building again) and asked me to return the photos and
the form at the front desk.

She handed me a paper with about 10-12 questions and asked me to read out every question and then on answer it as well. I answered all the questions correctly after which the officer asked me to write the sentence - I went to Oakland for the interview today. She ticked mark all the questions after I was done.

She then handed me the N-652 and the passport application (which I noticed were being handed over to other interview folks as well).

I went to the photo studio as indicated on the address handed over to me
by the officer, got the photos and returned the same at the front desk. The front
desk clerk asked me to wait until he showed the photos to the officer. After 2 minutes, the clerk came back and told me that the officer was fine with the new submitted photos and that I could go..I was done at about 11.25 with the whole
thing..

The staff at the INS office was extremely courteous and helpful. The front desk
folks even helped us to check on the status of my spouse's interview letter (which he has yet not received), and told us about his interview next month. When my spouse told the front desk officer, that he had not yet received any letter, the front desk clerk printed out the same and handed him the interview notice letter.

Congratulations . Based on my experience, you should receive Oath Letter in 2-3 weeks and most likely you should have a Oath on either March 7th or March 21st. :) :)

helper00 said:
Congratulations . Based on my experience, you should receive Oath Letter in 2-3 weeks and most likely you should have a Oath on either March 7th or March 21st. :) :)

Thanks..did you ask the immigration officer after your interview about the proposed time frame during which the oath letter would be send out or the oath scheduled for.

kindly keep me updated..

kdesai said:
Thanks..did you ask the immigration officer after your interview about the proposed time frame during which the oath letter would be send out or the oath scheduled for.

kindly keep me updated..

She mentioned within a month you should have your Oath. Reading at various post, I think the individuals who got interviewed at Oakland office are getting Oath letter between 2-3 weeks after the interview, about two weeks prior to Oath date.. Although they schdule Oath in the system, they will send the letter (administrative stuff) about two weeks prior to Oath.
I am expecting my Oath for March 07th ceremony at Nob Hill Masonic Center
http://www.masonicauditorium.com/calendar.html :)

Received Oath Letter today

Hello All,

I received my oath letter ( from N-445) today :) . As expected, the Oath is scheduled for March 07, 2006 ( 9:00 AM ) at Masonic Auditorium in San Francisco. The letter was posted from Laguna Niguel on 02/16/08.

update

i just want to update my application status

pd:12/15/2005
FP:1/27/2006 in Okland
2/15/2006 received interview (I-797c)
4/18/2006 for interview.

is interview hard?

m38 said:
i just want to update my application status

pd:12/15/2005
FP:1/27/2006 in Okland
2/15/2006 received interview (I-797c)
4/18/2006 for interview.

is interview hard?

Not sure what do you mean by hard. Please read the interview experiences from other on this thread annd several threads in this forum.

For fairly simple case, they go over your N 400 applications asking and confirming infomation followed by a history/civic test ( 100 standard questions) and simple english test ( I have to write a simple sentance).

Regards :)