N-400. Request for evidence after interview. 4 year + 1 day rule – my experience.

My GC was issued in 2008 while I was still in college (I won it in DV lottery).
While finishing college my dates in US were:
2008 June-Sept (seasonal job)
2009 June-August (seasonal job)
2010 January-March (didn't work)
2011 Feb-March (didn't work)
2012 Feb-April (seasonal work).
So the last long trip I too was April 2012 - Jan 2013.
As of Jan 2013 the trips I took were for 4-6 weeks per year (visiting my parents).
I filed taxes for the years I had income in US.
Even though mandatory job placement did not leave me much choice, but to fulfill the contract, I was technically employed, and that is not good, and I don't think USCIS would consider this to be exceptional circumstances.

From 2008 when you got your GC to 2013, you were basically visiting the US for two/three months every year to “maintain” your GC. Your reasons for being away for so long without actually establishing permanent residency during those periods, without a re-entry permit, or an approved N-470 may sound reasonable to you, but clearly they’re not legitimate as far as USCIS is concerned.

I am gobsmacked you tried to pull a fast one attempting a 4 yr + 1 day filing with such a questionable residency background as against waiting a couple extra months before filing. No wonder you’re reluctant to respond to the RFE you received and are trying so hard to convince us and them, they shouldn’t be requesting information for dates you consider out of the statutory requirements for your naturalization petition!

By the way, did you even declare the income you earned back in your home country on your US tax filings?

Thank you for all the responses.
Let me give you all the dates so that you have full picture of my case.
I never got in trouble with the law.
My issue is not being much in the US till Jan 2013.

My GC was issued in 2008 while I was still in college (I won it in DV lottery).
While finishing college my dates in US were:
2008 June-Sept (seasonal job)
2009 June-August (seasonal job)
2010 January-March (didn't work)

After graduating, my country practices what is call mandatory job assignment for at least 2 years (imposed by the government, legal obligation). So I was tied for another 2 years in that contract (starting from summer 2010).
My visits to US during that time were:
2011 Feb-March (didn't work)
2012 Feb-April (seasonal work).

So the last long trip I too was April 2012 - Jan 2013. As of Jan 2013 the trips I took were for 4-6 weeks per year (visiting my parents).
I filed taxes for the years I had income in US.
Even though mandatory job placement did not leave me much choice, but to fulfill the contract, I was technically employed, and that is not good, and I don't think USCIS would consider this to be exceptional circumstances.

Thinking about the way the situation developed, I am leaning towards missing the deadline for providing evidence (I have till mid-July) and let my case automatically expire (or should I request withdrawal in writing?).
Meanwhile since my GC is expiring mid-July, while the case is still pending, I have scheduled Infopass appointment to get temporary stamp into my passport. Following that appointment I would file for renewal of the GC - I understand I can do that before I get official notification that naturalization case is abandoned, that shouldn't cause issues.
As far as any further attempts to file form N-400, what are you suggestions about the earliest I should try again if I decide to do so?

Again thank you for you time.

Wow

Merely visiting the US while on a green card with work and extended stays overseas. Boy you're trying to game the system, trying to pull a fast one with the 4yr+1 day rule. Just wow! Forget Naturalization, Permanent resident status could be at play if they decide to dig deeper next time you're dealing with USCIS.