N-400, questions about deportation (26 and 27)

dilarossi

Registered Users (C)
I am in the process of filling out N-400 and don't know how to answer two question about deportation proceeding (if I have ever been ordered deported and if I applied for relief from deportation).
I applied for asylum after I overstayed my tourist visa back in 1992. My application for asylum in 1992 resulted in an interview in 1993, upon which I received a letter stating that my case for asylum was not granted and at the time and was referred to an immigration judge to be considered again. I was given a form I-221 called "Order to Show Cause and Notice of Hearing".
So my question is: Does this form constitutes "order to be deported"? Do I answer "yes" on N-400 or "no"?
PS: I was granted asylum by the judge, but that happened later.

Just check NO. Take all the paperwork with you to the interview. Remember that your N400 is NOT complete until you are sworn by an immigration officer, in which you will be given the opportunity to amend the N400. As soon as he/she start going through the form, indicate that you were confused about those items and explain your situation, and I am sure he/she will guide and confirm if your answers are appropriate, if you NOT, then he will change it and make a notation.

Don't worry about it.

I am in the process of filling out N-400 and don't know how to answer two question about deportation proceeding (if I have ever been ordered deported and if I applied for relief from deportation).
I applied for asylum after I overstayed my tourist visa back in 1992. My application for asylum in 1992 resulted in an interview in 1993, upon which I received a letter stating that my case for asylum was not granted and at the time and was referred to an immigration judge to be considered again. I was given a form I-221 called "Order to Show Cause and Notice of Hearing".
So my question is: Does this form constitutes "order to be deported"? Do I answer "yes" on N-400 or "no"?
PS: I was granted asylum by the judge, but that happened later.
You were never ordered deported. An immigration hearing does not automatically equate to a deportation order.

You were never ordered deported. An immigration hearing does not automatically equate to a deportation order.

Ok. So even though the original Notice is part of deportation proceedings, since an immigration judge never ordered me deported, I can state that I was never ordered deported, correct?

Ok. So even though the original Notice is part of deportation proceedings, since an immigration judge never ordered me deported, I can state that I was never ordered deported, correct?

YES. YOU WERE NEVER DEPORTED... The documentation is a general notice which has no bearing on being deported or NOT. You are worrying too much, I can feel your worry here in my home...lol!!! Ouch....

Correct, since the hearing didn't rule for you to be deported. Had the hearing ruled for you to be deported and/or you seeked relief from such a deportation ruling then you would have to answer YES to the questions.