N 400 queries

Chuckpat

Hi! I am applying for my naturalization. I have 2 questions. The first one is, Do I need Status information letter from selective service if I immigrated after my 26 th birthday and I am applying before my 31st birthday. The second question is for employment history on n400. I was working for a company for 3 years but every time I travelled to my country I have to resign and rejoin company as because I did not have enough vacation and going to my country for more than a month. I did resign and rejoin 3 times, do I have to show unemployed on n 400 work history whenever I travelled or just show continuous work history for 3 years.

Selective service is only for ages 18 to 26 and that to for men. If you came after you were 26, you don’t need any letter. Your employment status (Or whether you were unemployed) does not really matter for naturalization. They’re technically trying to assess your physical presence. I would just show continuous employment in the same company as 1 month vacation breaks would look more confusing. However, if asked you can clarify in the interview but I doubt they would.

Selective service is only for ages 18 to 26 and that to for men. If you came after you were 26, you don’t need any letter. Your employment status (Or whether you were unemployed) does not really matter for naturalization. They’re technically trying to assess your physical presence. I would just show continuous employment in the same company as 1 month vacation breaks would look more confusing. However, if asked you can clarify in the interview but I doubt they would.
Thanks for the guidance, Fin

Yes I was here from my 18th birthday to 21 st birthday on F 1 visa. Then I moved to US 25 days after my 26 th birthday on immigrant visa

Yes I was here from my 18th birthday to 21 st birthday on F 1 visa. Then I moved to US 25 days after my 26 th birthday on immigrant visa
Were you ever out of status when you were in here between 18 to 21? If not, then you are fine.

Your employment status (Or whether you were unemployed) does not really matter for naturalization. They’re technically trying to assess your physical presence.

This may not be true - depends what your original basis for your green card was - if it was employment based, i.e. through an H1B, then yes, they will most definitely be interested in your employment history after your GC approval - they will want to see a genuine intent to work for the sponsor and similar job classification (they went through mine!)

If however, you applied for your GC on some other basis, then what the person who posted a reply is correct.

Last edited:
This may not be true - depends what your original basis for your green card was - if it was employment based, i.e. through an H1B, then yes, they will most definitely be interested in your employment history after your GC approval - they will want to see a genuine intent to work for the sponsor and similar job classification (they went through mine!)

If however, you applied for your GC on some other basis, then what the person who posted a reply is correct.
It was immigrant based.

Hi! I am applying for my naturalization. I have 2 questions. The first one is, Do I need Status information letter from selective service if I immigrated after my 26 th birthday and I am applying before my 31st birthday. The second question is for employment history on n400. I was working for a company for 3 years but every time I travelled to my country I have to resign and rejoin company as because I did not have enough vacation and going to my country for more than a month. I did resign and rejoin 3 times, do I have to show unemployed on n 400 work history whenever I travelled or just show continuous work history for 3 years.
If you immigrated after 26 but are applying for n400 before you turn 31, is this a 3-year marriage based N400?

No. It is on 5 year family based.

After 26th birthday but before 31st birthday is less than 5 years? (You can file early, if that’s what you mean, but the effective date you can naturalize is no earlier than 5 years.)
Anyway, the math doesn’t make a difference, you don’t need SS letter if you immigrated after age 26.

After 26th birthday but before 31st birthday is less than 5 years? (You can file early, if that’s what you mean, but the effective date you can naturalize is no earlier than 5 years.)
Anyway, the math doesn’t make a difference, you don’t need SS letter if you immigrated after age 26.
Thanks Susie. Yes I am applying 60 days before my 5 years and also I am applying 30days before my 31st birthday because I wanted to save money as the fees are going up on 2nd October 2020 from $725 to $1160. That’s why I am curious about SIL from SS.

This may be true, you are right...I didn’t consider it. I think it’s similar to how the marriage and divorce dates are more important for marriage-based petitioners than in other categories. The form just generically asks for all types of information, and they can focus on what information they need to based on the previous green card petition. Makes sense. Although there is a “removal of conditions”step for marriage, which may make it redundant