N-400 Interview

I would take what you have. I know there are guidelines the IO has to follow but it seems from others post and my experience it sometimes depends on the IO.

I had one traffic ticket which I paid and had documentation, I also had extensive travels, I took my passport and what documentation I could fine on the travels.

Got to the interview and the IO breezed over these two areas did not ask for one piece of documentation, did not even look at my passport.

The funny thing is, he look at the application and said I see you are married, are you still married? I said yes and he ask for my marriage certificate, even though I was not applying based on marriage and this was not one of the documents they requesting, but I had it with me anyway.

I would take what you have. I know there are guidelines the IO has to follow but it seems from others post and my experience it sometimes depends on the IO.

I had one traffic ticket which I paid and had documentation, I also had extensive travels, I took my passport and what documentation I could fine on the travels.

Got to the interview and the IO breezed over these two areas did not ask for one piece of documentation, did not even look at my passport.

The funny thing is, he look at the application and said I see you are married, are you still married? I said yes and he ask for my marriage certificate, even though I was not applying based on marriage and this was not one of the documents they requesting, but I had it with me anyway.

Shazer,

Are you male or female? If female did you change your name due to marriage? If yes, then your M/C serves as a name change document.

Thank you - I got a "True Test Copy" stamp on another copy. I sure hope this is not a problem or that my case is delayed for supervisor approval.

It is interesting that he wanted to see the original marriage certificate. I only have my original divorce decree and merely a copy of my marriage certificate. I am also applying based on the 5 years. Get this, when I applied I was technically married (I noted I was legally separated) but as of a few weeks ago, I am divorced. I am taking a separate updated application instead of hiving the IO write all over the application. We'll see.

Well, my interview is in 1 hour. I'll find out soon. Like many of you, I'll find out soon enough how all these questoins and scenarios play out.

Thank you - I got a "True Test Copy" stamp on another copy. I sure hope this is not a problem or that my case is delayed for supervisor approval.

It is interesting that he wanted to see the original marriage certificate. I only have my original divorce decree and merely a copy of my marriage certificate. I am also applying based on the 5 years. Get this, when I applied I was technically married (I noted I was legally separated) but as of a few weeks ago, I am divorced. I am taking a separate updated application instead of hiving the IO write all over the application. We'll see.

Well, my interview is in 1 hour. I'll find out soon. Like many of you, I'll find out soon enough how all these questoins and scenarios play out.

Finished the interview, here is a summary for all those:

Background: Got Residency based on marriage. Separated for two years (after conditions removed), applied for Citizenship based on 5 years, was still married when I applied. Between fingerprinting and my interview, my divorce was final.

So, as soon as the IO asked if I was "still" married, I said no, I handed a copy of my marriage certificate and divorce decree, simply showed her the original. the IO had serveral questions about when we separated, if we had seen each other, kids, when and where we last lived together, etc. She wanted to see the separation agreement and all court related documents (and I was worried about the arrest record). I didn't have it was I didn't think it was focal based on my 5 year-based application. She asked if I could get it to her (today). I said yes. The IO gave me a note stating I should/could come back the same day with the missing documents to complete my application and possibly be considered for same day Oath.

Traffic tickets and arrest record. She first said, "it looks like you noted some tickets," I handed her first the ticket and proof of payment. Then before she asked, I told her that I had sent my original expungement paperwork, and that I could ONLY get a true test copy stamp. She asked if I had the Original Expungement confirmation, I handed her my copy, which I believed was what I received from the court. Essentially, I told her that's ALL I could get, she said it was fine. She seemed not to know what exactly the courts provide - originals, court certified docs or copies after expungement, but she was satisfied.

Nonetheless, she still made me go home and come back with the separation docs. She took all of it. She approved me but I didn't make it back in time for same day oath.

Lessons:
1.- Traffic tickets, if you list them, just go to the district court to get proof of payment. Remember, there is a chance the IO will ask for them. A computer print out receipt with a stamp was enough.
2.- Arrests, if you can get a certified copy, get it, if expunged, get true test copy stamp at district court and bring EVERYTHING else, even copies, that you received. So you can say, this is everything I could get.
3.- Marriage involved (no necessarily based), bring all records too. Again, even if your application is based on 5 years.

I should get the letter this or next week for an Oath appointment. I've been in this country 11 years now. It's been a journey and I will all of you a similar one. I'll check back to see if you guys have any questions or if something I explained didn't make sense.

For people applying with the 5-year rule after obtaining the GC based on marriage, it appears to be getting more common for them to ask for details and documents related to the marriage (and the divorce or separation, if applicable).

She wanted to see the separation agreement and all court related documents (and I was worried about the arrest record). I didn't have it was I didn't think it was focal based on my 5 year-based application.

3.- Marriage involved (no necessarily based), bring all records too. Again, even if your application is based on 5 years.

just like you i filed based on the 5 year (even though I'm still married) and the IO asked me LOTS of questions about my husband, marriage and other related...

but not like you ( :( ) , its been 127 days since my interview and still waiting for the reply ( as well as waiting for my info pass app).

What you have is all that is expected or possible for a traffic ticket. Even folks who have not yet paid will not be prevented from naturalization by rational USCIS Officers.

thanks BigJoe5.

got to cadman plaza 8 am, once my turn came i mentioned the IO about the tickets, showed my proof of tickets/payment, he said don't sweat about such minor stuff not even worth mentioning.

Sworn in as USC at around 11:30, [lots of waiting]. got the NC document and got out of court by 11:45.

just like you i filed based on the 5 year (even though I'm still married) and the IO asked me LOTS of questions about my husband, marriage and other related...

but not like you ( :( ) , its been 127 days since my interview and still waiting for the reply ( as well as waiting for my info pass app).

That does suck. I was not in your shoes, and I do not intend to play it down, but from reading other's experiences, you have two scenarios, either your file got into a government shuffle to say it nicely, or there is something about your file that requires review. Either way, you will find out. Your info pass is helpful to get eyes on it. I realize it's easy for me to day, but try, I really mean, try not to lose sleep over it but don't sleep on it. The info pass is the right step step. I would even suggest to call again, like credit cards and any other call center, you get a different person and different answer everytime you call. So keep politely pushing. It may take a while for you but don't lose hope or sleep until you know for certain you have to. I wish you the the very best of luck. Sincerely.

That does suck. I was not in your shoes, and I do not intend to play it down, but from reading other's experiences, you have two scenarios, either your file got into a government shuffle to say it nicely, or there is something about your file that requires review. Either way, you will find out. Your info pass is helpful to get eyes on it. I realize it's easy for me to day, but try, I really mean, try not to lose sleep over it but don't sleep on it. The info pass is the right step step. I would even suggest to call again, like credit cards and any other call center, you get a different person and different answer everytime you call. So keep politely pushing. It may take a while for you but don't lose hope or sleep until you know for certain you have to. I wish you the the very best of luck. Sincerely.

QUICK QUESTION: Received my oath date, it's this friday in the Baltimore Office at 11am. I am traveling this day. My question(s): does any one have any knowledge if showing up for the oath on an earlier date would stand a chance if I bring proof of why I can't make it? Second, anyone know where I can find a list of oath times and days for the Baltimore office? Lastly, if I reschedule, what is the average reschedule date (four weeks later, months)?

Many thanks all.