n-400 interview based on asylum (visited COP or renewed passport) ,share you experience ,pls!!!

visting COP

My N-400 interview was not approved because of questions raised by the officer in regard to visiting COP. I informed the officer that the trip was due to an emergency and in response to that the officer told me to send in document supporting my claim. I recently got a letter from the office with instruction on how to send in the documents and the deadline attached to it. It says if I fail to support my claim with documents, my case will be denied. There is also a time limit to produce the documents or else case will be denied. Its amazing there are some applicants that I know who went to COP multiple times but were granted approval, whereas my one visit, which I might add is due to a legitimate emergency, jeopardized my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that.Would you mind asking you how many times did you visit COP? Before got the green card or after? Did you bring any documents with you which can proved you have emergency situation? and what DO you are in?

While it is understood that it could be an emergency. IO officer is right to be suspicious in this case. OP was granted US immigration benefits by claiming asylum status in US. Potentially, GC can be at risk as well.

If you do not have a good documentation to support the claim, you may want to seek attorney's advice.

what kind of documents do i need to provide. The doc for why did i go back or why i was able to return to my country?

Sorry to hear that.Would you mind asking you how many times did you visit COP? Before got the green card or after? Did you bring any documents with you which can proved you have emergency situation? and what DO you are in?

Only once did I visit COP, and it was after I'd gotten my green card. I did not bring any documents supporting my reason for the trip as I did not think it would be necessary. Also based on other asylee's N-400 experience, I thought I will not be put through this ordeal. I have yet to hear or read a N-400 being rejected due to visiting COP.

what kind of documents do i need to provide. The doc for why did i go back or why i was able to return to my country?

If you claim it was due to an emergency, you have to support that with a document of the nature of the emergency. Also a notarized letter explaining why you made the trip to COP is necessary together with supporting documents. I found out bringing these documents to the interview will be helpful if the question of visiting COP arose.

Only once did I visit COP, and it was after I'd gotten my green card. I did not bring any documents supporting my reason for the trip as I did not think it would be necessary. Also based on other asylee's N-400 experience, I thought I will not be put through this ordeal. I have yet to hear or read a N-400 being rejected due to visiting COP.

Then why not ask your family to send the document to you? How long are you allowed to provide the supported documents? Anyway, good luck to you! I am so nervous right now and i did vist COP once as well, my interview is scheduled on 3rd Feb...

Yes in fact that's what I did. My family is sending me some documents pertaining to the death in the family and some other stuff. You will have exactly a month from the interview to send in the documents together with a notarized letter explaining the nature of your trip etc. Don't be nervous because majority of asylees will be approved regardless of visiting COP or not. My case is just an isolated one. I will find out soon whether the documents will be enough or not.

This may also depend on what COP we are talking about!!!

Its amazing there are some applicants that I know who went to COP multiple times but were granted approval, whereas my one visit, which I might add is due to a legitimate emergency, jeopardized my case.

just wanted to update on my status. I got a wonderful news through the mail today containing an Oath letter. It turns out that the letter I sent in regards to the visit to COP was sufficient enough to approve my naturalization case. I will be attending the Oath ceremony a week from now. Needless to say I am extremely relieved about the outcome. I was beginning to doubt if it will ever be approved but GOD IS GREAT as HE saw it through on my behalf. Thanks, and I hope that folks who have visited their respective COP and who have issues with that as it relates to N-400 application would find similar outcome as I have. I have realized that the odds are strongly on the applicant's side and eventually the USCIS will approve the case. So hang in there COP-visitors. : )