N-400 interview at Chicago Center

Sure! I think there are 4 or 5 of us scheduled starting from
Feb 15 or so. I am scheduled on March 12.

Thanks

Mine is on March 24.

Right now, I am working to get court papers for my speeding tickets and driver licence record, just to carry with me during interview.

On initial form, I requested little name change but as it may delay oath (says in naturalization guide), also I don't think I absolutely need it, I may request my interviewer to rescind that. (can I do that?).

I hope, it does not take long between interview and oath as I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE ADDRESS as it may make oath letter to go back, but I doubt we can do anything about it.

Good luck guys

ChicagoDoc,
Is it absolutely necessary to get some sort of traffic ticket clearnce document from secretary of state or DMV. My cousin who had his interview few months back and he was never asked to clarify for any traffic violation tickets. He is a cab driver... and you know how they get tickets!!!
Can anyone clarify it that it is necessary to get some sort of clearance certificate from DMV.
CD

I don't think, you need to carry anything for traffic ticket untill asked. My friend is cabby, he had millions ticket but was never asked for it. Other cousin mentioned it on N-400 but interviewer said, he is worried only about felony/DUI.

Today, I went to cook county traffic court for my 2 tickets in 1995 (both dismissed by judge). Guy at counter told me that he always tell ppl. that they don't need this for immigration unless its DUI but ppl. keep coming (he was very upset that ppl. have wrong info.). I said, what the heck to have it in file at the time of interview. It took only 30 minutes for whole process while he prepared the certificate of dispositions and cost me only 18 dollars for 2 tickets.

I had one ticket at other state and have lost ticket and it is so hard to deal at phone. I am getting copy of my paid ticket check from my bank. It was in 1999. They charge me 6 dollars.

Bottom line...Be prepared to show it. Nothing would happen, only it delays your oath.

My Timelime

PD: Aug 27, 2003
FD: Nov xx, 2003
Interview date: Apr 07, 04.
Oath Date: ??. Hopefully, soon after 7th April.

Chicagodesi,

Please post your interview experience.

RSV, Chicagodesi,

Could you tell us if Chicago office interviews are on-schedule
or you had to wait!!! What time were your interviews?

Thanks,
SamP

My interview appointment was at 9:45AM. I arrived at 9AM. They called me at 9:20AM! 25 minutes early. My wife's appt was at 10:05AM. They called her at 9:30AM right after mine. The same officer interviewed us both. I hope Chicagodesi's interview went well yesterday. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for not updating this thread sooner with my interview experience.
Here it is.
My interview was scheduled for 7:45 AM. We got their 30 minutes early and ample parking there (if anyone is driving).
Doors were opened at 7:30 AM. Everyone was very nice...even the security guards. 7:50 AM they start calling out names for the interview. They called me but I cannot go because my attorney was inside with one of his other client. I told the officer that I would like to wait for my attorney and he said that is fine. He took some other person in. Anyway, 20 minutes later I was called in along with my attorney( same officer).
As soon as we walked in his cube, he asked me to raise my hand and go through the Oath. After getting my passport, GC and drivers license, he asked me if my name was right... first name , last name, address and how long I have been living there. He asked me where do i work and how long I have been doing this kind of work. He asked me quite a few questions about work. There were some typos in my application and that were corrected through my attorney. Oh Yeah! he very specifically asked me about my current employment and the work address.
Then he asked me about my last trip out of the US and I told him that too. Checked my passport. He never checked my old passport or even asked for it. He asked me if I can prove that I was still married to my wife ( I am married to USC). I showed him my joint bank account and mortgage paper. He didnot even looked at it ...I guess he wanted to see if I was prepared, which I was. He never asked for my tax papers or any documents that they requested in the appointment letter. Point is, take every possible document as it all depends on the officer.
Then he asked me US history questions:
1. What is the current voting age in US.
2. How many years a president can be elected? I asked per term... he said yes... I said 4.
3. How many terms can a president serve.

Then he stopped as I got all of them right. Then he very quickly went over the application about any charges, political affiliation with any parties and etc. I said no to all of them.
He made me write a sentence, "Members of the house and senators makes the congress". No problem there either.
Then he congratulated me for passing the test and interview. He made me sign some papers and organized his paperwork.
On my rceipt, it said...c ongratulation! you have passed the civic exams and your application has been reccomended for approval of US citizenship. Then he said that you should get a letter for oath ceremony in 2 months or less. I aksed my attorney if my name was cleared and he said that if your name wasnt cleared, they would have given me a letter with the statement that "A decission cannot be made yet about your application.
Anyway, if I will sum up the experience I will say that everyone was very freindly and the officer was very nice. This office and the officers are very different from the INS office on Jackson street. Traffic was bad but that is part of Chicago so we all have to deal with it one way or another. Entrance is off Harrison street and there are two parking garage within a Block. There were some parking on the side street ( esp. at 7:30 AM) but I donot want to take a chance of getting a ticket. My parking cost was $9.50 which is worth it.

My question:
To all the folks out there waiting for Oath letter, did you guys got the Congratulations ...you are approved for US citizenship.........
and you guys are still waiting for a letter.
All the best to everyone and I sincerely hope that all of you have the same experience as I did.
ChicagoDesi

Chicagodesi,

Thanks for posting your detailed exp.

Not sure why they said 2 months for getting Oath letter!!

I see that in RSV's case (posting) they said 4/6 weeks for Oath
but I guess he has not rcvd Oath letter yet!

Also in Jan 04, in "Srimom's" case she got the Oath
letter after 6/7 days only and Oath took place within 3 weeks
from interviw date!! I also saw some other people from NY/NJ
who did not have "security check issues" taking same day Oath
or atleast getting their Oath letters same day!

Any way pl. keep us posted when you get your Oath letter.

SamP

The Officer very clearly said that it should take UPTO 2 months. I am assuming less than that. I will definitley keep you posted.

Chicagodesi,
Cogratulations and thanks for posting your interview exp. in good details!
Can you give some details on follwing?

1. What role does attorney play in interview? How or why is it good to have attorney with applicant at interview?
2. Does the officer get impressrd or softer on candidate if the attorney is there? Or does he feel slightly prejudised or annoyed ? ( I will have my attorney with me and so I like to know).
3. Did you have lot many trips out of US during last 5 yrs?
4. He checked your current passport but did not ask for the old one. Does your current passport coverd all your trips mantioned in the N 400? Or is it more recent one?
5. Someone posted a website giving schedule of almost 2-3 oath ceremony in a week for next 2-3 months in Chicago. In that case your oath date ought to be much sooner.

1. What role does attorney play in interview? How or why is it good to have attorney with applicant at interview?

A: I have always used an attorney because this is our family attorney and all of my family members have used it in one way or another.
2. Does the officer get impressrd or softer on candidate if the attorney is there? Or does he feel slightly prejudised or annoyed ? ( I will have my attorney with me and so I like to know).
My impression of having an attorney is that officer will not go off on you and start asking you all kinds of weird questions. If the office is way offline then attorney will interfere. I wouldnt know if the officer gets nicer because I have not dealt with INS without an attorney. But for my GC issues, the officer was nasty even though there was attorney present.

3. Did you have lot many trips out of US during last 5 yrs?
Nope. But I have had 4 trips but they were all work related.

4. He checked your current passport but did not ask for the old one. Does your current passport coverd all your trips mantioned in the N 400? Or is it more recent one?

This is what has happened to me.

5. Someone posted a website giving schedule of almost 2-3 oath ceremony in a week for next 2-3 months in Chicago. In that case your oath date ought to be much sooner.
Lets hope that I get a oath date soon. But I am not holding my breath for it.....

Oath Letter

Received oath letter. Oath scheduled for March 9. Requested documents are GC, reentry permits, etc.

Anyone know how long this oath ceremony lasts? Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,
I had a suprise in the mail today. I received the Oath letter and it is scheduled for March 24. Just wanted to let you guys know.
CD

oath letter

I received my oath letter on Thursday the 4th. I am set for March 23, 8:00 am. I was interviewed on Feb 26, letter was dated March 1st, and sent on March 2nd. Very quick.

June 12 2003 Priority Date
March 23 2004 Oath Ceremony
Almost 9 months from start to finish.

I had a pager and two cell phones with me, and everybody was ok with it.