N-400, I am eligible, my wife is not

lifeislife

Registered Users (C)
I am about to apply for naturalization and was planning to apply for both me and my wife. I just realized though, that she is not yet eligible.

I tried to look up but could not find any literature on how I can apply for her as a dependent. Do I apply just for myself and when the call comes, add her to the list? Do I apply for her separately, even though she is not yet eligible?

I am in a bit of hurry to get this done, and her Green Card approval was 5 months later, so I don't want to wait that long.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to apply for naturalization and was planning to apply for both me and my wife. I just realized though, that she is not yet eligible.

I tried to look up but could not find any literature on how I can apply for her as a dependent. Do I apply just for myself and when the call comes, add her to the list? Do I apply for her separately, even though she is not yet eligible?

I am in a bit of hurry to get this done, and her Green Card approval was 5 months later, so I don't want to wait that long.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Each adult LPR applies for naturalization via an individual N-400. Only the LPR minor children might derive through the naturalization of parents.

Each adult LPR applies for naturalization via an individual N-400. Only the LPR minor children might derive through the naturalization of parents.

Ok, so in my case, will my wife's application have to wait until she is eligible?

Ok, so in my case, will my wife's application have to wait until she is eligible?

Are you serious with these questions or are you playing games? IF these are REAL questions, then YOU should not be filing anything yet. I really hope this whole thread has been a bad joke.

Are you serious with these questions or are you playing games? IF these are REAL questions, then YOU should not be filing anything yet. I really hope this whole thread has been a bad joke.

Awesome. To-the-point answer.

Wow. This forum is feisty. I participated earlier in the I-140 and I-485 forums and those were very sympathetic and helpful. It almost seems hostile here. Go figure.

Thanks guys.

We've answered your questions -- we said your wife must wait until she can qualify on her own, and pointed you to documents that explain the naturalization eligibility requirements. What more do you want?

We've answered your questions -- we said your wife must wait until she can qualify on her own, and pointed you to documents that explain the naturalization eligibility requirements. What more do you want?

I think I got what I wanted. I also got what I wanted earlier in the othe forums. The tone was friendlier there compared to here. It is my first time posting in this forum.

Based on their backgrounds and after going through I-485, some people may be confused about N-400 requirements. There is a concept of "adult dependants" in almost all immigration categories except for naturalisation. I think the OP was dealt a bit harsh here.

Based on their backgrounds and after going through I-485, some people may be confused about N-400 requirements. There is a concept of "adult dependants" in almost all immigration categories except for naturalisation. I think the OP was dealt a bit harsh here.

Yes, Joe's "Are you serious with these questions or are you playing games?" and "I really hope this whole thread has been a bad joke" were harsh. On the other hand, the OP somewhat invited it by asking essentially the same question again after getting a valid answer, and apparently not doing much (if anything) of research for himself, even after being pointed to what to read.