N-400 from Service Center to Lockbox - NEW USCIS PROCESS

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

We've had good fortune thus far with the new Phoenix lockbox process. We completed the fingerprints the same day that we received the letter in the mail. Just received the interview letters today for myself and my wife.

A few notes..

Both letters mentioned about bringing selective service documents. On the interview document checklist, it clarifies that the selective service documents are only required if you meet the criteria as outlined (so don't be alarmed by the NOA requesting selective service docs if they are not applicable to you.)

During the fingerprinting, the technician commented that our fingers were dry, and they somewhat struggled to get decent scans. But it seems to have worked out okay, so again don't be too alarmed if you are having to moisten your fingers a couple of times, it just may work out fine. They also provided the updated exam question book at the FP site.

The online status is about as inconsistent as others have mentioned. Though both interview letters were dated the same, the USCIS system shows one case last being updated in January, and the other shows an update in February with the red 'incomplete case status' message. So take the information in the online system with low anxiety.

Best of luck to everyone. Timeline in signature below.

Received the yellow checklist in the mail today (dated 03/11/2009). Mentions to bring state issued driver's license and certified copy of minor's birth certificate (born in US).

Nino77,

I just received another notice from USCIS stating that my fingerprint card was recently rejected by FBI because it was "unclassifiable". They sent me another FP appointment for 3/27. I am a bit confused given the two previous letters that asked me to bring additional documents including police clearance or state report when my interview is scheduled. Taking the 2nd FP will definitely delay my case.

Also my husband had his interview today and he was approved. If he gets his Naturalization Certificate during the oath taking ceremony, will he be able to apply for our son's US passport or do both parents need to be US Citizen for their non-US born child to receive a US Passport?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Nino77,

I just received another notice from USCIS stating that my fingerprint card was recently rejected by FBI because it was "unclassifiable". They sent me another FP appointment for 3/27. I am a bit confused given the two previous letters that asked me to bring additional documents including police clearance or state report when my interview is scheduled. Taking the 2nd FP will definitely delay my case.

Also my husband had his interview today and he was approved. If he gets his Naturalization Certificate during the oath taking ceremony, will he be able to apply for our son's US passport or do both parents need to be US Citizen for their non-US born child to receive a US Passport?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

2nd FP is not a bad thing - FP clears in 1 day so no delay there. Still bring a state, police & county clearance with you to the interview.
1 parent should be enough - no need for both parents.

I had been placed in the queue for interview on 2/23/09. I, however, haven't received an interview letter yet. My DO is San Jose, CA. I was wondering whether anyone else has a similar waiting experience.

Like you said, it depends on your DO - call them up on the 24th.

In the Q for interview + a passport question ..

Called and checked on the status and was told that "Placed in the Q for interview" on march 17th. I am assuming ( based on all the previous posts) it should takes 2 weeks before the IL is sent out. But my DO is Detroit and who knows it might take longer :( ...

Also one other question --- I know this doesn't fit in this forum, but if you can help or direct me to a more apt forum, it will make me very :D

I am thinking about an overseas assignment and I am scheduling it in such a way that I would get the Australian work visa stamped (on my Indian passport), have my n-400 interview, leave US and then come back for the Oath ( provided I pass !!). But then can I still travel back with the visa on the Indian passport (technically I will not be an Indian Citizen after the oath) ? Do I need to apply for US passport and then reapply for the Aussie work visa ??? Has anybody been through this.

Called and checked on the status and was told that "Placed in the Q for interview" on march 17th. I am assuming ( based on all the previous posts) it should takes 2 weeks before the IL is sent out. But my DO is Detroit and who knows it might take longer :( ...

Also one other question --- I know this doesn't fit in this forum, but if you can help or direct me to a more apt forum, it will make me very :D

I am thinking about an overseas assignment and I am scheduling it in such a way that I would get the Australian work visa stamped (on my Indian passport), have my n-400 interview, leave US and then come back for the Oath ( provided I pass !!). But then can I still travel back with the visa on the Indian passport (technically I will not be an Indian Citizen after the oath) ? Do I need to apply for US passport and then reapply for the Aussie work visa ??? Has anybody been through this.

Detroit DO is now processing Jul 2008 per USCIS website. I was placed in queue 1/3/09 and have not received IL yet. So hold tight.

Congras and good luck

I have just received my IL (see my timeline below for details). Thanks a lot Nino77 for your support and great tips on how to speak to an L2 IO.

----------------------------
D/O : San Jose, CA
1/22/09 : N-400 Received at Phoenix Lockbox.
1/22/09 : Priority Date.
1/24/09 : Notice Date.
1/30/09 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
2/09/09 : FP Notice Received
2/12/09 : FP Appointment
2/11/09 : FP Done (walk-in)
2/23/09 : Placed in Q for an Interview
3/17/09 : Case File Review Notice
3/19/09 : Interview Letter sent
3/23/09 : Interview Letter.
5/06/09 : Interview Date

I called up and the Customer serrvice representative mentioned that interview letter was sent out on March 26th.But I am unfortunately away from my house and I dont have the exact interview date.They said that they cant disclose it as its confidential info..but did confirm that my interview letter was sent out on March 26th.

Shanks
ATLANTA DO
PD - JAN 26TH
FP - FEB 9TH
INTERVIEW LETTER - MARCH 26TH

I called up and the Customer serrvice representative mentioned that interview letter was sent out on March 26th.But I am unfortunately away from my house and I dont have the exact interview date.They said that they cant disclose it as its confidential info..but did confirm that my interview letter was sent out on March 26th.

Shanks
ATLANTA DO
PD - JAN 26TH
FP - FEB 9TH
INTERVIEW LETTER - MARCH 26TH

You interview will be first week of May probably - anyway don't take a no for an answer, call back and if its still no then try again. they gave me my interview date and time on the phone just keep trying

Hey guys - Thanks so much for asking, I wanted to update you all as soon as I came back but I didn't have any sleep for 24 hours and had to drive for 8 hours so I was dead by the time I made it back.

My interview went very well - I got there 2 hours before my interview and waited outside - I went in there 30 minutes before my interview, I wore a full suite and a tie ( I know I was overdressed but I am ok with that - make a good impression - you would dress up for a job interview, this interview is more important for me than a job interview). The officer was very professional and friendly - we went through the entire N-400 application to make sure no changes - You guys are aware of the fact I traveled a lot during 2006 ( 8 months total - 3 months back for a week then 5 months) so I was ready to present my case with credit cards bills, bank statements, rent checks, school records, letter from employer about international assignment, etc.. however the officer never cared about these trips, not sure if that was because of the fact it was the first trips since I came here (2001) anyways, I was asked if I owed any taxes, I said no and I had already sent a copy of all my tax return with the application so he never asked to see the originals. he asked a lot of questions about my first wife ( she was a US citizen but I am not applying based on marriage) and how I got my green card, he also asked about my current wife then I was asked 6 questions:
1- Name one branch of the gov?
2-we elect a US senators for how many yrs?
3-if both the president and VP can't no longer serve?
4-what does the president cabinet do?
5-how many justices on the supreme court?
6-( sorry I don't remember this one)

I was asked to read - WHO LIVED HERE FIRST?

I was asked to write down - American Indians lived here first

Then he looked into my file for 10 more minutes - man my file was big - I mean BIG and he kept saying ok, ok - then he said congratulations You have been recommended for APPROVAL - I almost said YAAAAAAY but I didn't but I am sure he saw the smile on my face :D

I also requested a name change so I had to sign the name change petition.
He said my oath letter should be there within 2 months and I think based on what I read on the forum it does take 2 months for Memphis. so I hope I will be a citizen by the end of June.

Now I will have to do is wait for my oath - its just a great feeling that I am almost done with immigration :D:D

Before I left I thanked the officer for all the hard work they have been doing to eliminate the backlog and how thankful we are for their effort.

Finally I want to update you guys on my job situation - you all know I got laid off few weeks back - well I had 2 job interviews and I got 2 offers I signed 1 of them on Friday and my start date is Monday April 13th.

I want to thanks all for you for all of your support - you guys have been like a family.

Please ask me any question you have.

Thanks

Nino77,

Congrats on both fronts (immigration and job). Good luck on your new job. Thanks for the update.

My interview went very well -

well I had 2 job interviews and I got 2 offers I signed 1 of them on Friday and my start date is Monday April 13th.

Nino77,

My most sincere congratulations to you. The job offer is like the cherry on top of the cake!! I am sure I speak for a lot of us and even thought we all don't know each other we share the same goal/dream (be a US Citizen), we all are very happy for you.

Good Luck in your new job and do not be a stranger....lots of people here, including me, are also grateful for your support.

Nino,

You are awesome!!! Congrats for your double achievement and you deserve this.

Keep it up good work and hope you will be citizen by JUNE.

Thanks,