N-400 filing Traffic violation question

ABOSE

Registered Users (C)
Can please someone help me with this. Do I have to mention all the traffic violation tickets and accident police reports while filing N-400 ? If yes, then how will I get those ?

Thanks.

Can please someone help me with this. Do I have to mention all the traffic violation tickets and accident police reports while filing N-400 ? If yes, then how will I get those ?

Thanks.

Make sure to read and search the forum first before asking the same question that has been answered already in other posts. The "citation" post is just one of many that answer this exact question.

Thanks.

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: the N-400 instructions require you to list all citations/arrests, but requires you only to provide (court certified) documentation for those involving fines over $500 or involving alcohol/drugs.

There are many different views on this whole topic. Prior versions of the N-400 did not require you to list all citations. Clearly that is not the case now, however many IOs still adhere to the old rules. There are some however, who insist on documentation for absolutely everything.

FYI - you can get official records by contacting the clerk of the court in the location where the offense occurred.

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: the N-400 instructions require you to list all citations/arrests, but requires you only to provide (court certified) documentation for those involving fines over $500 or involving alcohol/drugs.

There are many different views on this whole topic. Prior versions of the N-400 did not require you to list all citations. Clearly that is not the case now, however many IOs still adhere to the old rules. There are some however, who insist on documentation for absolutely everything.

FYI - you can get official records by contacting the clerk of the court in the location where the offense occurred.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Contact all DMV's in states where you had driver licence and get all records. Document on N400 every incident that is reported on the DMV sheets and carry proof of payment/resolution to interview

If you are cited in Arizona for speeding or red light crossing, you can opt to take a 2 day course and pay significantly less for the course than the fine itself. By doing that, I believe the citation is canceled and it doesn't go in to your record. Both citations were for less than 200 dollars. Does this need to be mentioned in the N-400 or not ?

There is a question about the citation but no space provided in the N-400 form to provide any details about the citation. Does that mean that I have to write the details on a seperate piece of paper? Thanks for the help in advance.

If you are cited in Arizona for speeding or red light crossing, you can opt to take a 2 day course and pay significantly less for the course than the fine itself. By doing that, I believe the citation is canceled and it doesn't go in to your record. Both citations were for less than 200 dollars. Does this need to be mentioned in the N-400 or not ?

There is a question about the citation but no space provided in the N-400 form to provide any details about the citation. Does that mean that I have to write the details on a seperate piece of paper? Thanks for the help in advance.

There are various opinions about this. The bottom line is that you should make all "reasonable" effort to list everything you can. Most attorneys agree that DMV records are a reasonable source for traffic tickets.

You are right. I was searching for the answer on the google and there are ton of different opinions on this. I think I'll just go ahead provide whatever I have in my DMV record. Thanks for the help.

There are various opinions about this. The bottom line is that you should make all "reasonable" effort to list everything you can. Most attorneys agree that DMV records are a reasonable source for traffic tickets.

While the DMV record as a public record provides a good base to prepare the list of infractions for the N-400, the better way is to first mentally remember when you were pulled over.

In my case I have a clean DMV record since I only got a warning since I became a LPR - so providing a DMV record would not prove much. I have instead remembered to the best of my knowledge all tickets I ever had in various countries, all minor non-DUI offenses in the 1970s and 1980s and expunged a long time ago.