n-400 Employment question and internships.

easybay

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
A bit of a background about my situation. One month before my daughter's 18 birthday she received a PI charge. She paid the fine, did community service, etc, and has not had any other mishaps since. She was eligible to apply for citizenship a year ago, but we decided to wait to apply until she turned 21 and we could get her record expunged (that will happen on Oct 13).

Now for my question -on filling out her application the employment section asks for all work history and schools attended for the past 5 years. She graduates May 2012. She worked part time through college and she interned with 2 hospitals, should we include the internships?

Expungement doesn't clean her record for naturalization purposes. USCIS (with the help of the FBI) can see expunged convictions and they treat them as if they weren't expunged. So depending on the details of the offense, she may have to wait 5 years after the conviction (when she's almost 23) to be eligible for citizenship.

List the internships if they were paid internships. Although it doesn't really matter if she lists them or not, if they were just short internships between semesters (i.e. she didn't do something like take a year off from school to do them), since they could be considered just part of her schooling especially if the school had a connection to them (like giving her college credit for them).

If you or her other parent became a US citizen before her 18th birthday, she might have already become a citizen (if all the other conditions of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 have been satisfied) and should apply for N-600 and/or a US passport instead of N-400.

Last edited by a moderator:
she may have to wait 5 years after the conviction (when she's almost 23) to be eligible for citizenship.

How do we determine whether we have to wait for 5 years?

We got our US citizenship January 2011, so she was 20 at the time, so she isn't eligible to be naturalized through us.

How do we determine whether we have to wait for 5 years?

Arrange a short consultation with an immigration attorney to review the court documents and figure out whether the specific offense is serious enough to result in denial of naturalization for lack of good moral character. Or have her apply and see what happens.

In the future please do not make multiple threads for the same thing

Ok, will do. I put too much info in my original question, and needed to clarify all the different issues. And I ended up getting different answers.

Getting back to my original question - internships were unpaid and were during the summer, but NOT for school credit. I'm leaning towards putting them in due to more "proof" of good moral character. I assume it won't hurt to add them, would they?