N-400 December 2009 filers' tracker

Spouse cleared her interview last week and has oath scheduled for next week. I cleared mine today. Awaiting oath letter.

Wishing Good Luck to everybody else on the thread for their interviews.

Will keep updated on further progress.

Congrats yaro77:)

Got same interview letter again..............interview date is same.

Check the time. I got my letter. A week later, I got the YL, another appointment letter for the same day and a interview cancellation letter. I was baffled for a long time until I noticed that the time on the new letter was different :)

Got interview letter today for both of us. Mine is on April 8, 10 at 745 am and my husband's is on the same date, but at 845 am.
When do you all start to study the history and civics booklet?

DO: Atlanta

N 400 Mailed: Dec 23 09
N 400 Received: Dec 24 09
Priority Date : Dec 29 09
LUD change: Dec 31 09, Jan 5 10, Jan 7 10, Jan 9 10
RFE mailed : Jan 7 10
FP scheduled: Jan 26 10
FP done: Jan 22 10 (Husband had to redo the fingerprint on Feb 8 10)
Yellow letter mailed: Feb 7 10
Yellow letter received: Feb 13 10
LUD change: Feb 27 10
LUD change: Mar 2, 10
Interview letter received: Mar 5, 10
Interview date: April 8, 10(at 745am for me, 845 am for my husband)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi experts,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed on this forum 100s of 1000s of times, however I would to ask these specific questions.

I have finished 4 years and 10 months after receiving my green card. I'm ready to apply and I have the following to questions before I could post my application form to USCIS. I plan to apply for both me and my wife.

1. Can I mail both of our applications in one envelope by using a paper clip to tag the pages along with the checks?
2. I have 3 kids, 1 is with us and other two(twins) are in India. Will there be any questions/issues as the kids are India if we mention their India address in the N400 form?
3. N-400 doesn’t talk about attaching any documents along with the application, does it mean that we’ll needing later (such as experience letters, places where we lived in the last 5 years, etc).
4. Does the dates travelled/stayed outside of US have to be accurate? I do have them but does it matter to be perfect or one or two days here and there?
5. How long the whole process takes? Btw, I live in San Francisco bay area, California.
6. My wife likes to change her name and I believe this can be done while taking Oath, with that said, are there any other formalities should be done to have it changed fully? What kind of document proof would they ask as an evidence to change the name?
7. Do the dates have to perfect on where we lived in the last five years. I’m asking this as we live in an apartment and when we give move out notice and/or move to a new apartment, there’ll be a overlap? Do all that matter for USCIS?
8. I heard there is a special requirement in the SIGNATURE where in all the letters in the name should appear in the signature? Is that true? Do the signature should combine the first/last name or there should be space?
9. If I'm married only once to the current spouse, what should I out in the form? should it be "0" or "1"?

Sorry for too many questions, I greatly appreciate your time to read and respond to this.

Thanks much.
GC holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi experts,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed on this forum 100s of 1000s of times, however I would to ask these specific questions.

I have finished 4 years and 10 months after receiving my green card. I'm ready to apply and I have the following to questions before I could post my application form to USCIS. I plan to apply for both me and my wife.

1. Can I mail both of our applications in one envelope by using a paper clip to tag the pages along with the checks?
read the instructions. It has that info.
2. I have 3 kids, 1 is with us and other two(twins) are in India. Will there be any questions/issues as the kids are India if we mention their India address in the N400 form?
yes! recommendation is that they have to be with you for smooth process unless they recently went to India for vacation.
3. N-400 doesn’t talk about attaching any documents along with the application, does it mean that we’ll needing later (such as experience letters, places where we lived in the last 5 years, etc).
No need as they have your full immigration file handy:)
4. Does the dates travelled/stayed outside of US have to be accurate? I do have them but does it matter to be perfect or one or two days here and there?
yes! one or two days doesn't matter, they care if you stay more than 180 days out side of USA.
5. How long the whole process takes? Btw, I live in San Francisco bay area, California.
Depends on case by case.
6. My wife likes to change her name and I believe this can be done while taking Oath, with that said, are there any other formalities should be done to have it changed fully? What kind of document proof would they ask as an evidence to change the name?
It would be good to do it later to avoid delay in process. Evidence no idea, read the instructions.
7. Do the dates have to perfect on where we lived in the last five years. I’m asking this as we live in an apartment and when we give move out notice and/or move to a new apartment, there’ll be a overlap? Do all that matter for USCIS?
yes. don't worry about overlap in lease papers, you can be always one place at time correct. use that place as cut off date for previous one.

8. I heard there is a special requirement in the SIGNATURE where in all the letters in the name should appear in the signature? Is that true? Do the signature should combine the first/last name or there should be space?
yes. you should always use space between first/last name.
9. If I'm married only once to the current spouse, what should I out in the form? should it be "0" or "1"?
Sorry for too many questions, I greatly appreciate your time to read and respond to this.

Thanks much.
GC holder.

See CIL. Remember that I'm not a lawyer.

Need guidance. On my application under Part 10, section D, question 16 – “Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?” I selected “Yes” as I have two traffic tickets.
I got a Yellow letter saying – “You indicated in your application that you have been arrested. For these arrests and any other incidents in which you may have been involved, bring originals or certified copies of all arrest records and court dispositions showing how each incident was resolved.”
I included details on both the citations/tickets (speeding) with court disposition letter with my application. I have never been arrested. Is this standard YL format that USCIS uses? I would greatly appreciate if any body that had tickets and already went through interview can shed some light.
Thanks.
04/14/2005 - LPR
01/16/2010 - Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX via USPS Priority Mail
01/18/2010 - Delivery Confirmation from USPS
01/19/2010 - Picked up/Received from PO BOX by USCIS
01/21/2010 - NOA Date/Check Cleared/Priority Date
01/22/2010 - NOA postmark
01/25/2010 - NOA Received
02/02/2010 - LUD change. RFE sent on 01-29-2010
02/08/2010 - FP Notice received/Priority Date Changed to 01/19/2010
02/10/2010 - FP Completed by walk-in. No questions asked
02/12/2010 - Original FP Date
02/18/2010 – LUD - Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled
02/20/2010 - LUD (not sure what this update was for)
02/22/2010 - Interview Letter received
03/22/2010 - Interview Date

Hi tejasp

Yes - that's a standard format for the YL for speeding tickets. Take certified copies of the court disposition letters again with you. The IOs will most probably mark it off saying speeding tickets or something like that. So it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Good luck with everything

kharghosh

kharghosh - Appreciate your insight. Hopefully, interview would be smooth. Since you have already gone through interview, any details on the interview process would be great! - tejasp

Hi there
I am cutting and pasting what I wrote in my DO thread....

The interview process was pretty straightforward. My appointment was at 9:30, reached there at about 9. Went through the security etc. Then walked to the info pass area by mistake ( the interview was on the 3rd floor). SO we went up there, deposited our interview letters and sat in the waiting room.
We were called at around 9:30 (by two different officers).

My IO was quite friendly, joked a bit about the cold. Then asked me to take an oath of telling the truth etc etc. Then he went over my application, asked me questions from the form to which I replied. The only document I had not sent with my application was my child's birth certificate. They hadnt asked for it either in the checklist nor in the yellow letter, but I had taken it along with me for the interview anwyay (along with previous years tax transcripts). SO he told me if you have it give me a copy. He didnt go through my passports (though he wanted me to place all of them on his table).
After he went through the form, he asked me to read a sentence and then write a sentence.
He then read out a set of questions for the History/Civics test from a printout. I answered 6 correctly - so he stopped there. I honestly cannot remember the questions, all I remember was that they were not the ones with dates or names of various historical/govt figures.

He then asked me to verify my information on a form ( he said that would be printed out on the naturalization certificate). He said - I am recommending you for approval. The application will go for one more once through by their office and the oath will take about 2-3 months ( could take less time or more, but that's the average)

Then he walked me out to the lobby. I was out by 9:50.

My spouse had some traffic incidents for which we had to get court disposition letters. The IO made note of that and just moved further along the form. Both of us got approved. Our oath letters came in less than a week. We have our oaths next week.

Good luck for your interview !

kharghosh

Here's our timeline:
DO St Paul MN
12-01-09 - N400 mailed - Phoenix AZ
12-02-09 - N400 Received
12-02-09 - Priority date
12-07-09 - Check cashed
12-17-09 - LUD change (RFE mailed on 12-15-09)
1-5-10 - walk in FP
1-9-10 - Yellow Letter
1-11-10 - Scheduled FP date
1-19-10 - email update "case sent for standard interview", online status updated to "testing and interview"
2-25-10 - Interview Date - Done and Recommended for Approval
3-2-10 - Oath Letter
3-17-10 - Oath Date