N-400 application

modoshka

Registered Users (C)
my interview was a month ago and application was recommend for approval but haven't received the oath letter. so i called to find out the why its taking so long, officer told me that there is A file request. do anyone know whats A file request ? does that mean i have 2nd A file number? thanks in advance

You got a BS response when you called, there is no way they would have interviewed and gave you "Recommended for Approval" letter without having your A-file at your interview.

my interview was a month ago and application was recommend for approval but haven't received the oath letter. so i called to find out the why its taking so long, officer told me that there is A file request. do anyone know whats A file request ? does that mean i have 2nd A file number? thanks in advance

When you interviewed, did they have your A-file? Was it a thick brown file (A-file) or a skinny yellow (or other color) (Temp File)?

Have you had a prior encounter or case with U.S. immigration? Previous greencard or removal or been in ICE/INS custody, turned back at the border, had multiple approaches to a greencard (employment vs. family-based (parent/sibling/child) vs. spousal petitioners) or lengthy nonimmigrant dealings (F-1, H1-B, J-1 etc...))? Any of those could have resulted in another A-file. Lastly, it could relate to a relating A-file of another person (a relative, an imposter, or worst of all--a mismatch with a totally unrelated person (similar name/DOB/COB)).

don't really remember what type of file they got during interview and i never had prior case except for PR card. during interview, officer told me that everything was OK and told me to sign few papers for the my name change. if they were waiting for A file, IO should have given me, "Decision can not be made" answer, but my application was recommend for approval. told me to wait 2 - 3 weeks to get the oath letter. its really confusing.

don't really remember what type of file they got during interview and i never had prior case except for PR card. during interview, officer told me that everything was OK and told me to sign few papers for the my name change. if they were waiting for A file, IO should have given me, "Decision can not be made" answer, but my application was recommend for approval. told me to wait 2 - 3 weeks to get the oath letter. its really confusing.

Did you file any other petitions or applications shortly before or after filing your N-400?

no, not at all, since PR, i haven't applied for anything. do you think it has to do with another application ?

no, not at all, since PR, i haven't applied for anything. do you think it has to do with another application ?

It's just that a lot of folks file their N-400 and might also file an I-90 for their expiring or expired greencard replacement OR might file a petition for a spouse/child(ren) around the same time. Some will file an N-400 and file for a re-entry permit for some strange reason. People are usually their own worst enemies.

WHO told you about this "A-file request"? Was it over the phone, in person or did you get it in writing? If in writing, by e-mail or by postal mail, what's the date of that information?

Do you have anything in your background that would cause them to have to check up on something? Think back, ever delayed upon entry, sent to secondary, had to report for deffered inspection at another location, get asked a bunch of questions when travelling? IF yes, and IF someone made a written report either on paper or in a computer system, that could be referred from one officer to another for review. Such things often just slow things briefly while a memo is written just to document the fact that it was actually looked at before granting a benefit under the INA.

What was the basis of your greencard? Were you a student or a nonimmigrant worker before an LPR?

Last edited by a moderator:
i called 1800 number and officer told me that everything looks good on your application, just waiting for A file. i haven't received any email or mail stating about the A file.
i have nothing at my background, everything was clear. i told interview officer about 1 speeding ticket but officer didn't even look at the receipt of the payment. she asked me whether i have ever been arrested or been jailed, my answer was No. don't really know what's going on. i will make infopass to speak with officer to find out what exactly you are waiting for.

hope you get oath fast!!!

Does anybody know if A-file also has information about your visa petitions from your home country to the usa embassy?
just wondering...

hope you get oath fast!!!

Does anybody know if A-file also has information about your visa petitions from your home country to the usa embassy?
just wondering...

If you enterd on an Immigrant visa, the visa packet that you handed over on admission is in your A-file, otherwise, your adjustment application etc. is there.