N-400 and N-600 questions

m_img

Registered Users (C)
I would like to get some clarifications:

1) N-400: All children under 18 will become US Citizens. Any children, even they're dependent and living with you, over 18 have to apply separate N-400, correct?

2) Children under 18 those become US citizen along with parent - how will they prove that their US citizenship? What I read at this forum is two ways a) Certificate of citizenship by submitting N-600 and $600 fee - ouch.. OR b) get a passport, less than $150.

- I thought to apply for passport, you need Certificate of Citizenship to prove that you're US Citizen - but some comments made here states that you don't need that... is this for kids under 16 or will work for kids under 18 and older that 16?

- Certificate of Citizenship have expiry date? If you choose to get passport and use that as your proof of citizenship, do you have keep renewing your passport? Or expired passport will serve as proof of citizenship?

There is not much savings to get kids citizenship via N-600... i.e. I have a child who will turn 18 in 8 months... should I wait to apply for citizenship and have him apply separately?

Thanks for your help!

1) N-400: All children under 18 will become US Citizens.
Yes, all children under 18, if they are living with you and they are permanent residents (have green cards).

Any children, even they're dependent and living with you, over 18 have to apply separate N-400, correct?
Yes. They have to qualify for naturalization separately.

2) Children under 18 those become US citizen along with parent - how will they prove that their US citizenship? What I read at this forum is two ways a) Certificate of citizenship by submitting N-600 and $600 fee - ouch.. OR b) get a passport, less than $150.
Both of those are proof of citizenship

- I thought to apply for passport, you need Certificate of Citizenship to prove that you're US Citizen - but some comments made here states that you don't need that... is this for kids under 16 or will work for kids under 18 and older that 16?
You don't need it. Age is irrelevant; you could be 4 or 40. There are other ways of proving citizenship. After all, you need to submit proof of citizenship to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship; the same proof can be used to obtain a passport. Namely, the parent's Certificate of Naturalization + child's green card + proof they are living with the parent. However, it's a hassle if 20 years later you lose your passport and you need to get all these things together again.

- Certificate of Citizenship have expiry date?
Nope

If you choose to get passport and use that as your proof of citizenship, do you have keep renewing your passport? Or expired passport will serve as proof of citizenship?
You don't have to renew it. But most places will not accept an expired document.

There is not much savings to get kids citizenship via N-600... i.e. I have a child who will turn 18 in 8 months... should I wait to apply for citizenship and have him apply separately?
That's an interesting idea.

No. Try to become a US citizen before he turns 18, so he won't need to have his background scrutinized. Teenagers and their friends do tons of stupid crap that can get them in trouble with the law. Even if your son is innocent, he could still get arrested because of what the kids around him did (e.g. drugs, shoplifting, noisy partying), then it can take a long time for the case to work its way through the system and get the charges dropped, during which time his naturalization application would be on hold until the case is closed.

Certificate of Citizenship have expiry date?
No, it doesn't expire. Its lifetime validity is the main reason to get it.