My View on the "Timeframe"

Ladybuggy

Registered Users (C)
Ok lately there are a lot of posts about the "Timeframe" and PD Dates. I had to wait what I think 10 month for my IL Letter. I never expected it to be that long but you can't go by dates that the USCIS lists on their website because each and every individual case is different. What is all comes down to is the Name Check.
I don't agree how the USCIS handles it after there is a "hit" meaning having to request the file personally and look at it. I mean we are in the 21st century and even that should be computerized now but just because you file a certain month it doesn't mean you get a IL on your predicted time as much as you want to.
I know how it is. I ran to the mailbox until the day I took my Oath because knowing the USCIS I thought ok maybe there will be a letter cancelling my Oath for whatever reason.
I know it is hard to sit back and wait for something to arrive and read on the board that someone that applied after you gotten already an IL.
I personally think the dates online are useless because like I said every case is different.
I don't want you to think now that I am telling you that you are wrong whoever reads it but I just want you to see the reality and realize that the USCIS has their own way. I know it is in most cases not fair. I felt the same way.
I am sorry if I made someone mad or upset someone but I just hate to see people posting this is when I filed and haven't heard anything. Whether you are in the queue and the Represenative was actually right or you are stuck in the name check. Who knows.
My last note on this is that the whole 1-2 month looks like a standard message lately to very many people and if there is no 1-2 month because you are still in the name check and not the queue it is wrong for the USCIS to say that because it gives people a lot of hope and it is not right but to be it seems to be fishy that so many on this board and I am sure there are many more people out there that don't know this board excist who might get the same answer.

Once again my 2 cent

When you're right, you're right! There's no way to analyze why USCIS operates the way it does. All I know is that prior to my InfoPass, I was mentally preparing myself for getting stuck in name check, and eventually filing a WOM. Now that I know that my name check has been cleared, I am preparing myself to file a service request when I don't receive an IL after my PD has been posted for 30 days. I am not a pessimist by any means, but I am definitely a cynic when it comes to government agencies and/or services. The fact that the USCIS seems to operate on a lottery system stokes my cynicism even more.

As far as the name check procedure goes, isn't it ironic that one of the most well-funded and highly respected law enforcement agencies in the world (FBI) still relies on paper records and manual searches? To think that an agency that has the capability to track just about anyone in the world via satellites still relies on antiquated data storage methods...

Hmmm,

I think the reason is that people are deliberately kept stupid and that the people are willingly accept that. Ever since I came here, they always talk about education in every election - apparently talking about it alone gets the votes and then nothing needs to be done about it.

Just that two people need to have a job to make ends meet these days should show how bad the system has become.

Yet people buy the high gloss magazines at the check-out to read about the next adoption of Angelina & Brad. Societies that f*cked-up probably don't deserve any better.

I am not a cynic of any Government - I don't trust Governments - that's any Government.

Yet people buy the high gloss magazines at the check-out to read about the next adoption of Angelina & Brad. Societies that f*cked-up probably don't deserve any better.

Amen to that. I remember reading on CNN.com a couple of months ago that Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan generate considerably more readership than the upcoming presidential election. It's a sad day in the world when people are more concerned with the antics of drug-abusing sl*ts than who will be the next leader of their country. A sad, sad day, indeed.

Yep,

very scary and sad. It's amazing how far a sound bite gets a politician these days.
Told my rep. neigbors about the cost of GC and possible penalties for the illegal workers in our California fields that hussle on minimum wage.

Was quite an eye opener for them, but I am sure only for about 2 seconds. After that, they cried that Huckabee is out of the race.

Great attention span.

People like interesting things not boring stuff.
Just like movies.
Let us come to the discussion.
The mentioned dates are priority dates not notice dates.
Some people get their IL within couple of days because of availibility of interview slots.
But what is confusing is how come people who have the same DO/ same Service center obviously and whose namecheck have been cleared are behind the people whose PD are way ahead of them?

Sorry,

you are missing the point. We pay some $675 for this and as far as I am concerned that means there are deliverables attached to a "service". The way this "service" is performed is not accepatble.

Again, this has nothing to do with the fact that any country should check out potential citizens, it is the quality of "service" that is bad.

If IRS would take 10 month or longer to refund the taxes, that shop wouldn't exist any more.

Unfortunately there is no lobby and once the process is over for us, we don't really care about those who come after us.

Mass-media operating without much control and following the principle that everything that sells is good is destroing the society. But back to USCIS.... Here's my take on this. If they ever wanted to make it work effiently, there's only one thing that needs to be changed:

Money flow. Defer payment of most of the application fee instead of paying it all up front. I.e. applicant submits the application along with nominal fee (i.e. $20) and waits for the interview. At the interview time (s)he pays the rest of the fees due ($600 or so for N-400) before officer make a decision on the case.

People like interesting things not boring stuff.

Since we're straying a bit off topic, this will be the last non-related comment from me. Anyway...the fact that the next president can quite possibly be a lunatic who will "stay in Iraq for another 100 years, if need be" (John McCain) is hardly boring. The fact that if this happens, the draft will most certainly be brought back is far more interesting and consequential that Nicole Richie's next bout with anorexia.

But what is confusing is how come people who have the same DO/ same Service center obviously and whose namecheck have been cleared are behind the people whose PD are way ahead of them?

I couldn't agree more. However, cases like that seem to have a definite pattern. For instance, 2 NYC applicants who recently got ILs both had PDs of 12/27/07.

Hmmm,

goes actually further than that. I find it morally questionable that military service pays for education. If it is supposed to be voluntary then you do it because you believe in it.
If it's a bribe, then the commitment is questionable at best.

If it's a draft, I am sure there will be loop holes.

At the end of the day however, it is about rethinking those apparent "values". But in order to adjust there, one has to be educated and that's where the circle closes.

This world is certainly not the one my parents raised me for and I am happy that I didn't bring any children into this mess.

I'm going to reserve my complaints about American politics and culture until after my oath. Seems like bad karma, somehow.

Ladybuggy is absolutely correct that there is no way of knowing how the timeline of an individual case will turn out. Nevertheless, there are many reasons that justify our obsessing over these things:

1. Keeping up with the dates of peers helps us know whether there is indeed something unusual about our case and whether we should take action on it. Sometimes this has to do with details of the individual application, and sometimes USCIS just makes mistakes. It's important to investigate when warranted.

2. Processing dates provide a guideline for knowing when it is appropriate to initiate service request or WOM, as Vorpal points out.

3. Some people have life or travel plans that need to be put on hold until the application is approved, or at least until they have IL. Having a sense of the timeline, however contingent, at least lets people tentatively schedule their lives.

4. Psychologically, it can help us feel like we have some control over a situation, even though we're ultimately powerless. This feeling may be illusory, but it's reasurring.

5. It gives us something to do while we wait.

Fair points and good ones.

BTW, my bitching is in no way related to just one country. Luckily they can't kick me off the planet just yet.

nyc_naturalizer, you pretty much summed it all up with that list! The traveling aspect is definitely an issue for me. I'm getting married in September, and it's very difficult to plan a honeymoon with my N-400 pending. I'm stateless, so I don't want to shell out money for another refugee travel document. Speaking of which, there's a post in the "USCIS Lawsuit" sticky that includes a memo from the USCIS, released yesterday, that now requires biometrics for all re-entry permit and refugee travel document applications.

I just had RFID chips implemented into my cats.
Considering that those are now part of the passports, I almost see no reason why that shouldn't be demanded for humans as well.

It's a little more advanced then the tattoos back when. It's sure to come, just a question of argument. I am sure a lot of parents would love it, if that helps them track the children via GPS.

Sad, sad, sad.

Haha, LOL! Implanting RF ID chips sure looks like a way to go... One addition, thou... Along with an RF ID chip, the electrode needs to be implanted as well and the whole system to be connected to the goverment computer. So it can be tracked and in case case of violation, be elecrocuted at the spot. Just jocking... I think we got carried away, and need to get back to the subject.

nyc_naturalizer, you pretty much summed it all up with that list! The traveling aspect is definitely an issue for me. I'm getting married in September, and it's very difficult to plan a honeymoon with my N-400 pending. I'm stateless, so I don't want to shell out money for another refugee travel document.

That's rough (congratulations, by the way!). But you should have your IL well before September, and that should at least give you a sense of whether you're likely to have a passport in time for your honeymoon. Sounds like you have your heart set on a foreign honeymoon--but maybe you should also plan a contingency honeymoon in the US (don't forget Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands), and buy cancellation insurance in case circumstances change at the last minute.

Speaking of which, there's a post in the "USCIS Lawsuit" sticky that includes a memo from the USCIS, released yesterday, that now requires biometrics for all re-entry permit and refugee travel document applications.

Even with a GC? What's the point, biometrics are already there.

That's rough (congratulations, by the way!). But you should have your IL well before September, and that should at least give you a sense of whether you're likely to have a passport in time for your honeymoon. Sounds like you have your heart set on a foreign honeymoon--but maybe you should also plan a contingency honeymoon in the US (don't forget Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands), and buy cancellation insurance in case circumstances change at the last minute.

We're actually going to Puerto Rico in April to do some hiking in El Yunque (the Puerto Rican rainforest) and check out the Bioluminescent Bay. Virgin Islands require a passport, believe it or not, because they are a free-trade zone. As far as the honeymoon itself goes, we decided not to do any international travel until I have my passport in hand.

Here's to hoping that all members of this forum get their citizenship in time for the election!

We're actually going to Puerto Rico in April to do some hiking in El Yunque (the Puerto Rican rainforest) and check out the Bioluminescent Bay.

Have a good time. I've been to El Yunque, it's great. I missed the light show on Vieques, but spent some time at nearby Culebra - beautiful. Hopefully you'll have an IL before you go so that you can stop thinking about naturalization.

Here's to hoping that all members of this forum get their citizenship in time for the election!

I'll second that - especially members in swing states.

Have a good time. I've been to El Yunque, it's great. I missed the light show on Vieques, but spent some time at nearby Culebra - beautiful. Hopefully you'll have an IL before you go so that you can stop thinking about naturalization.

I'm hoping to get an IL before I go as well. I'm leaving on April 10th, so if the IL doesn't arrive by April 9th, I'm scheduling another InfoPass before I leave.