My son live outside of USA hpw can I get him here

nj10232004

I just became an American citizen few weeks ago. I have a son he is 11 year old and still live in Thailand. He never came here and I want to get him here also but I dont know what can I do. Do I have to alpply N 600 K. or N-600 for him? Is anyone know about this? Please help me.

I just became an American citizen few weeks ago. I have a son he is 11 year old and still live in Thailand. He never came here and I want to get him here also but I dont know what can I do. Do I have to alpply N 600 K. or N-600 for him? Is anyone know about this? Please help me.

Since he's not a permanent resident, you'll need to file an Immediate Relative I-130 for him.

When he arrives in the USA following the approval of the I-130, he automatically becomes a citizen. At that point you can get him a passport, or N-600 or both. The general consensus is that you submit a N-600 and get it approved as long you can afford it. This is to keep a permanent record with the USCIS to establish citizenship for future references if needed.

I don't think he will become a us citizen automatically. To become a US citizen by virtue of a parents naturalization the child must be a permanent resident, residing with the parent at the time of parent's naturalization.
OP states that the child is not residing with him and I'm assuming the child is not a PR.
The child can choose to file N-400 after he turns 18 and is eligible.

harvydonald, I respectfully disagree. The child becomes a citizen automatically the moment all the conditions are met, it can be at the time of parent naturalization or several years down the road, the point is that at some moment the kid must have been younger than 18, a permanent resident in US soil and in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent. So, basically, once the kid gets the Green Card stamp or whatever they do nowadays at the border he becomes a citizen automatically, as long as the kid is in the physical and legal custody of the US citizen parent.

Hi everybody,

Thank you so much for your infromation that help me a lot. I will start to apply I -130 for him and I hope every thing gonna be OK. I miss him very much hopefully it will not take too long to process his case.