My receipt number is not working

del0175

Registered Users (C)
I applied in early June 2008, had my fingerprint in early July and still waiting for the IL.

Based on what many of you have said I thought I will call USCIS today and try to speak to an IO.

The problem is that I cannot punch my receipt number. It does have a * and I tried to call from two separate phones to make sure that I got that key right but each time it tells me that I have not entered enough digits. I called several times and heard the same error message.

I can check my status online and it simply says that the application has been received and pending.

After choosing the option that there is a typo in my application I talked to a nice CSR, but as others have said, he was merely reading from a script and I am not sure that he even understood what I was trying to tell him.

Has anyone had this experience? What can I do?

Give it at least 2-3 months after FP to receive your IL before calling USCIS for a status. Keep it in perspective .. the entire naturalization process can take several months to complete.

adding to what bob said

If your online status says Received & Pending when you check your status on the phone it will say the same thing as online basically.

Also the FP "Fingerprints" step does not get added to your status. so do not be waiting to see your status mentioning that you done your FP.

just be patient. I also applied for naturalization in late June & done my FP in mid July & now I'm waiting for my IL as well but it takes few to several months sometimes a year depending on which SC/DO is processing your application.

do you know what Service Center & District Office you belong to?

I applied in early June 2008, had my fingerprint in early July and still waiting for the IL.

Based on what many of you have said I thought I will call USCIS today and try to speak to an IO.

The problem is that I cannot punch my receipt number. It does have a * and I tried to call from two separate phones to make sure that I got that key right but each time it tells me that I have not entered enough digits. I called several times and heard the same error message.

I can check my status online and it simply says that the application has been received and pending.

After choosing the option that there is a typo in my application I talked to a nice CSR, but as others have said, he was merely reading from a script and I am not sure that he even understood what I was trying to tell him.

Has anyone had this experience? What can I do?
There is nothing to worry about.
Mine wasn't trackable from begginig and was saying the case number is not valid but process was normal and I have interview in 10 days.

When I called them they said that I didn't have enough numbers. I spent a while trying to input it with different ways. Mine starts with WSC*. Even if they say not to input that i did and it worked

Good Luck

Thank you all for clarifying. I was committing a mistake by not entering ESC in the beginning. I was dumb to think that I only need to enter digits and not the letters.

No you weren't dumb, they tell us not to put the numbers. Would that be a way for them to limit the calls?