My Naturilization Interview Experience

Dave28

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview earlier today. I got to the USCIS office 3 hours earlier than my scheduled appointment as i wanted to leave myself enough time for any impromptu occurrence(s). Luckily, i got to the office with no scuffle occurring.

So when i got there, i showed the security guards my IL and went through the physical security checks. I was then told to proceed to the second floor where the interview waiting room was located. When i got there, i noticed there were about 30 people in the waiting room. At first, i thought i wouldn't have to wait till my scheduled appointment time but unfortunately, that wasn't so. After waiting for 3 hours, i was eventually called in 10 minutes after my scheduled appointment.

Before i was called in, i noticed something very strange. A lot of people who had their interviews before me and passed were told to wait in the waiting room for their oath letters. I was always under the impression the oath letter was supposed to be mailed out to candidates.Anyway when i was called in, i was told to raise up my right hand and swear all the information i was about to provide is true. I did.

My IO then went through my application and corrected some careless mistakes i made while completing the form. I was also scolded for providing an out of state drivers license however i went there with my lease and credit card bills to show i live in the state.

Anyway after reading the and answering the 10 civil test questions, i was told to sign my passport photos and also told i had passed the interview. (Boy was i so happy). After receiving the N-652 form saying "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval", my IO told me i should try not to travel out of the country until i complete the oath. I was told i will need to fill out another form because my GC was somehow considered invalid for travel until after the oath. Prior to today, i had traveled multiple times in and out of country with no issues.

Unfortunately during my interview, another IO officer walked in and told my IO that they weren't issuing anymore same day oath letters for the day:( As a result, i now have to wait for my oath letter to come in the mail. It would have been nice to come home with my OL. Anyway thats all folks. I am so happy its almost over now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! That's amazing that they were giving out oath letters the same day. There are peeps in the san jose thread who have been waiting on their oath letters for 2 months! Any idea when the oath is scheduled for the ones who got their letter?

Congratulations. Couple of questions. I thought they wouldn't let you into the building so early before your appointment. Also, the GC is NOT valid after the oath. You have to hand it in. So, until your oath, your GC is completely valid with your passport. I think you may have misunderstood?

Thanks injunguy and Cafeconleche.
The people getting the "same day oath letters" had their oaths scheduled for August 14th. I was told there is also going to be another oath ceremony ending of August. So two oath ceremonies for the month of August.

Cafe, i had no problems going into the building 3 hours before my appointment. Also, I am absolutely sure the IO told me GC holders who want to travel after passing the naturalization interview will need to go through another process. Then again, there may be a chance the IO mistakenly gave me false information

Congratulations! Unless your GC is one of those old GC with no expiry date that I think USCIS wanted to phase out I don't think what you heard makes sense. A regular 10 year GC is valid up to the day of your naturalization (they take it during the ceremony) and you can use it to travel. That is my understanding and there is plenty of people who have done this in this forum (I mean, travel between interview and oath).

You are probably correct! The main thing now is just to get through this oath ceremony and be one of those able to say "I am proud to be an American Citizen" :)

Congratulations! The IL letter states "Please do not arrive any earlier than 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time." I'm surprised they let you in 3 hours earlier.

Yea!! I wouldn't have minded staying in the car until 30 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time but i was just too excited.

I was told i will need to fill out another form because my GC was somehow considered invalid for travel until after the oath.
That's odd. Is there anything peculiar you can think of with your card -- is it about to expire? Is it an old one with no expiration date? Or did you get it by marriage, and you still have the conditional green card? Did you travel so much that another trip would risk violating the physical presence rules?