My Landing Experiance & Need experts opinion on I94 issue

sonali_b_23

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I landed in Canada (Lansdowne) on 04/24. My brother who is a Canadian Citizen drove me in his Canadian Plate Car from USA to Canada. We were in the Canadian Post in the midnight at 1:00am and I was the only person in Immigration office. A lady Officer attended my work and she was excellent. I was with my family (spouse and kids). She just asked me couple of questions like my destination, proof of funds and she also took our pictures for PR Card. I showed Cashier Check as proof of funds and gave my brothers address for PR Card. She didn't ask me anything about my H1 Job and she didn't even asked me for my I94. (I removed the I94 from passport and kept separately). For Customs I gave a long list (5 pages) of "Goods to Follow".
I included my Car in the Goods to Follow list. Customs officer just checked the Make, Model & VIN# on the list. Thats all.. Walked out Immigration Stamped on our Passports and Customs Stamped "Goods to Follow".

Applied for SIN# and returned back on Sunday. Again my brother drove me across the border.

In my return I feel that I hava a problem but I am not sure. I need experts opinion on this.

At the US Post in return, Immigration officer took our passports and H1B related papers,recent pay stubs and employer letters etc.. Kept us waiting for about 30 minutes. Did some checks in his computer. After my initial landing in USA in Dec 2000, I changed my job and transfered my H1B Visa in 2001. In my passport I had WHITE coloured I94 stapled which is valid until 15th Dec, 2002 and when I changed my job in 2001 we got new I797 Petition and on the bottom of I797 there was another I94 which says it is valid until 30th October, 2004. So basically I have TWO I94's (One in Passport and the other one with I797). Now while I crossed the border from Canada, Immigration officer took my WHITE COLORED I94 (Which I got when I first landed) and stapled ONLY the I94 from I797. He has cut the I94 from my I797 and stapled in the passport. I asked him for the original I94 but he replied that as it is expired (15th Dec, 2002) he will not return to me. I asked the officer to atleast put a stamp on my passport..He just replied the "YOU ARE ALL SET".
He was not ready to listen to any of my questions and clarifications. When I again tried to get clarifications he said " I TOLD THAT YOU ARE ALL SET". I had no other option there other than just entering USA with lots of doubts.

Now I am worried..Am I safe with this I94. There are no stamps in my passport while entering USA. I now just have the I94 which was cut from the perforation of my current H1B petition (I 797). I don't have the White Colored I94 any more with me. Am I safe now ? Need experts comments.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The I-94 which was on your approved I-797 should have had the same number as the white card which the BCIS officer took. So don't worry. If you travel by road, your passport will not be stamped.

Did you have a valid H-1B visa stamp in your passport? or were you allowed to enter without a visa stamp?

Thanks vault.

We all had Valid Visa Stamped (Valid until 30th Oct 2004) in our
passport.

The I94 which is stapled now doesn't say any thing about expiry.. I mean no "Valid Until Date" Just has receipt number and our personal details like name,date of birth etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t have any problems with the I-94 card that came with H1 approval and BCIS officer attached to your passport (it has the same # of your previous I-94) and the new attached I-94 has RECIEPT # like WAC or NSC or EAC-02-XYZ -53267 from that # they know that till what times it is valid and your RIGHT side of H1 approval Notice has the expiry date (you should keep it when you travel out of US) if you have to submit your current I-94 to airlines before departure from US