My J-1 Visa expeired, I need your advice

hussen2h

Hi I need your advice. My J-1 Visa was expiered in 31 December 2008 and I renew my DS-2019 and it valid up to 9 Jan 2010.

The problem is I have a very important society of nuclear medicine meeting In Canada at June 2009 in which I have 10 abstracts accepted.

My question is there any way to get a new J-1 Visa before go to canada as I will only stay for 3 days there and i'm affraid to stuck there due to any delay in getting the Visa from US enbassy in canda.

Hi I need your advice. My J-1 Visa was expiered in 31 December 2008 and I renew my DS-2019 and it valid up to 9 Jan 2010.

The problem is I have a very important society of nuclear medicine meeting In Canada at June 2009 in which I have 10 abstracts accepted.

My question is there any way to get a new J-1 Visa before go to canada as I will only stay for 3 days there and i'm affraid to stuck there due to any delay in getting the Visa from US enbassy in canda.

You do not need any visa to return back to US. DS2019 with passport and the expired J stamp is enough to return without any problem. You do need visa for Canada from canada consulate in US to enter Canada. Good work.

I forgot to add. If you traveled from Canada to anywhere else and returned back to Canada, you can not come back to US by the DS. In other words, to use the DS without visa you can visit Canada, Mexico, many Caribian island for less than 30 days and come back without valid J stamp if you do not go anywhere else from those countries (to your home country for example). The other point, if you apply for J stamp in those countries and for any reason, your application get denied, delayed, ......etc by then you can not come back using the DS.
To make it simple. Go to the meeting and come back to US without and risky actions with immigration or travels.

As long as you visit Canada only, stay for less than 30 days and are not a citizen of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria, you should be okay.