My Interview Experience

I wonder if these type of officials even pause for a second to think about how many lives their "meanness" is going to ruin? well, I guess people like that don't really give a ........................

Not to defend any USCIS adjudicator, but they are not alone. There are certain professions where this meaness is needed for optimal service. Exam proctors, court judges, ER surgeons, etc.

:rolleyes:
Not to defend any USCIS adjudicator, but they are not alone. There are certain professions where this meaness is needed for optimal service. Exam proctors, court judges, ER surgeons, etc.

I guess in your mind, USCIS Adjudicator fits the bill for being mean... :rolleyes: I concur with the previous poster, these people don't even think about how many lives they affect by their lack of customer service skills or "meanness". You can deny someone's petition, but still be professional and courteous about the issues, rather than treat them like they just fell of an ass.:(

You can ask all the tough questions, tell people that they aren't being forthcoming with you...and the consequences of being dishonest is denial. Simple as that....:eek:

For example, during my interview the officer told us that she was going to deny a petition because the husband has a long arrest sheet, which he denied he had, before her. On three occassions, she gave him the opportunity to come clean...but he kept on being a liar. She went to pick-up his file, and showed him that he has been arrested so many times for various crimes, minor crimes but they don't carry favor in the eyes of perfect USCIS system....:cool: Not all USCIS Adjudicators are created equal, my officer has an extra-large heart, a dam full of compassion and excellent customer service skill, because I felt that I was treated as a human being...:p

I guess maybe when you change your status from certain visa types, such as the one issued through diplomatic channels, you are given a better treatment for fear of getting the Protocol Manager at Dept of State to create hell for USCIS...:D

:rolleyes:

I guess in your mind, USCIS Adjudicator fits the bill for being mean... :rolleyes: I concur with the previous poster, these people don't even think about how many lives they affect by their lack of customer service skills or "meanness". You can deny someone's petition, but still be professional and courteous about the issues, rather than treat them like they just fell of an ass.:(

Exactly!!! We are not asking Adjudicators to be nice and friendly, we're just asking them to be professionals.

I don't think they have an easy job, specially in DOs like NYC where you have a large number of immigrants. I believe they see cases of people abusing the system everyday. I noticed that the IOs tend to be thougher in areas with a large concentration of immigrants. But again, professionalism should be able to handle all cases in a straight forward way.

The IO that interviewed us mentioned that someone he interviewed was pregnant and the baby turn out to be from someone else's (not the sponsoring US citizen) and they found out later the marriage was a fraud. With professionalism, you learn from that and use the new knowledge to be more careful about certain cases. You don't go saying to every pregnant woman that only the mother knows who the baby's father is.

I'm not sure what kind of training they had... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What I found most interesting sitting in the waiting room at Garden City is that most of the IOs seem to be immigrants themselves. I thought to myself that the immigrant IOs are possibly tougher on the applicants because maybe they have something to prove.

I agree with the previous comments about professionalism.

What I found most interesting sitting in the waiting room at Garden City is that most of the IOs seem to be immigrants themselves. I thought to myself that the immigrant IOs are possibly tougher on the applicants because maybe they have something to prove.

I agree with the previous comments about professionalism.

Classy,

If all tough and mean immigrants became USCIS officials, the US govt will never have to deal with new immigrants ever, because they will deny you a benefit because they want to prove to you that they are tougher, nasty and better than you....:rolleyes:

NY has lots of immigrants, so is Florida, CA and Tri-State area, but IO there aren't as nasty and mean as you hear or read from applicants there. So, USCIS officials, none of their training (if they receive any) advise them to be mean and nasty to people. Absolutely not!!! :eek: I do know of USCIS officials, who are born here, and exercise high level of professional knowledge and courtesy to people. So, our experiences are going to be different...but let the difference be in the service level, not the nastiness we experience....:( I have written about at least 2 whom I've had experiences with, which we positive...

What a shame....there is a lack of many of these positive experiences...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelieveable!

I just checked uscis online and there was an update to my I-130 and my husband's I-485 today. I checked the I-130 first and it had the original message "Case Received and Pending". And to my surprise the I-485 said "Card Production Ordered"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I was screaming and calling my husband and he thought I was going into labor! :D

There is a God above!

I just checked uscis online and there was an update to my I-130 and my husband's I-485 today. I checked the I-130 first and it had the original message "Case Received and Pending". And to my surprise the I-485 said "Card Production Ordered"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I was screaming and calling my husband and he thought I was going into labor! :D

There is a God above!

ohhh my gOSHH cLASSYYYY i AM SO happy FOR YOU..cONGRATUALTIONSSS!!!! my DO IS nyc ALSO..i PRAY i DONT HAVE THAT LADY..CAN YOU DECRIBE HOW SHE LOOKS!!!!

ohhh my gOSHH cLASSYYYY i AM SO happy FOR YOU..cONGRATUALTIONSSS!!!! my DO IS nyc ALSO..i PRAY i DONT HAVE THAT LADY..CAN YOU DECRIBE HOW SHE LOOKS!!!!

Thank you!

I'm not sure where the lady is from but I assumed maybe Malaysia or someone. She looked to be in her fifties and was short. She really gave us the impression that things may not have gone our way due to the birth paper issue which was no issue at all. And it seems that my husband's name check was cleared already. The one thing that I felt would delay our approval was the medical which was turned in at the interview. She should have told us that the case would be pending upon satisfactory review and approval of the medical.

BTW- I checked the status online again (just to be sure I was seeing right) and my I-130 application for my husband was approved and a letter sent out on the 2nd. And also the status of the I-485 changed from "Card production ordered" to "Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident". This is all dated 11/2/07 just as the previous messages.

So based on my experience, I would tell folks to have faith even when you have an IO that seems to be difficult. If your situation is genuine, then it will all work out in your favor. No matter what is said or asked at the interview try to keep your composure. I think some of the IOs get off on making people feel uncomfortable and unsure.

Thanks everyone for your support and I hope that everyone who is still going through the process will soon find freedom and hope with your permanent status.

Thank you!

I'm not sure where the lady is from but I assumed maybe Malaysia or someone. She looked to be in her fifties and was short. She really gave us the impression that things may not have gone our way due to the birth paper issue which was no issue at all. And it seems that my husband's name check was cleared already. The one thing that I felt would delay our approval was the medical which was turned in at the interview. She should have told us that the case would be pending upon satisfactory review and approval of the medical.

BTW- I checked the status online again (just to be sure I was seeing right) and my I-130 application for my husband was approved and a letter sent out on the 2nd. And also the status of the I-485 changed from "Card production ordered" to "Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident". This is all dated 11/2/07 just as the previous messages.

So based on my experience, I would tell folks to have faith even when you have an IO that seems to be difficult. If your situation is genuine, then it will all work out in your favor. No matter what is said or asked at the interview try to keep your composure. I think some of the IOs get off on making people feel uncomfortable and unsure.

Thanks everyone for your support and I hope that everyone who is still going through the process will soon find freedom and hope with your permanent status.

Congratulations CassyIvy!! I think that she couldn't have told you if you were approved at the time of interview because of the review of your medical. She could have at least told you that though.

Anyway everything worked out well. Congrats.

Congratulations Classyivy1!!!...Looks like your husband will be travelling with you in January after all.I'm happy for you.