my interview experience, need help understanding it !!

desperate2

Registered Users (C)
Hey everybody,
I just came back from my citizenship interview at detroit DO today. The officer went over everything really really fast , i,e: Like 5 minutes and asked me questions of the english and civics and was like " Okay everything looks good.

She then made me sign on a piece of paper with my name on it and told me that the my name on the certificate will look like this, and asked me to initial that piece of paper if the spelling looks correct, so i did.

She finally handed me the N-652, with 2 boxes checked:
1) You passed the tests of english and US history.... etc. (which is great)
2) A decision cannot yet be made about your application !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course i was shocked to see that she checked no. 2 above, especially with how smooth everything went and making me sign that form that had my name on it telling me that this is the way and form my name will appear on the certificate, which of course gave me the impression that i am about all set.

I asked about the reason behind checking no. 2 (decision cannot yet be made...), and to my surprise she answered (Your name check is not complete yet). Of course i answered that as what i heard that interviews nowadays are scheduled only AFTER the name check has been cleared, but she said (No, and i am not really sure how long it is going to take, but everything looks good and that's the only thing left).

What do you guys think? is that usual or unusual? seems odd to me coz it goes against what i know for their rules to avoid being sued. Could it be that she is confused? is it because she was a young new officer and was ebarrased to say that she needs approval of her supervisor so she made up the name check excuse?? did anybody go through a similar experience. I am very confused and terribly worried. Please help with info

Once in a while interviews are scheduled when the name check hasn't been cleared or its status hasn't been updated on the USCIS side. Unfortunately all you can do at this point is wait and inquire periodically about your case status until the 120 days after interview has passed.

I thought they don't schedule interviews anymore unless the background check and name check and all checks have been cleared!! On a sceond note, what would be the best way to follow up on that and when should i start doing it? Thanks.

Hi. I just had my interview on Monday and got two things checked:
"passed"
"USCIS will mail you the final decision"

Unfortunately, I didn't see it until I was already in the parking lot. However, a lot of people have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be a right way of doing things. Everyone has different experiences.

I was very worried, but seeing how many people don't get the congratulations and oath letter right away... it isn't uncommon.

Really?

Once in a while interviews are scheduled when the name check hasn't been cleared or its status hasn't been updated on the USCIS side. Unfortunately all you can do at this point is wait and inquire periodically about your case status until the 120 days after interview has passed.

Really? So one cannot rely on the invitation for an interview to mean that the dreaded NC is complete? I thought the USCIS was pretty adamant on sending IL only after NCs were completed; the assumption was also that the second FP notice was not sent automatically but only on completion of NC in case the application was pending for more than 15 months.

If the OPs info is true this would add another sad twist to the already existing woes of the NC process.

AP

I thought they don't schedule interviews anymore unless the background check and name check and all checks have been cleared!! On a sceond note, what would be the best way to follow up on that and when should i start doing it? Thanks.

That's correct, the majority of the time they no longer schedule interviews before name check has cleared, but as with all parts of USICS process things still fall in between cracks.
Follow up every 30 days if you haven't received anything by either talking to an IO by phone or by scheduling an Infopass.

Timeline

desperate2, what's your timeline? Did you get stuck in the NC process beyond a year?

AP

You can get a letter from your DO IO that says 'Namecheck is clear'. In one of my infopass, IO told me 'Namecheck is Pending, have patience and come back after...'. I said, you must be kidding and then showed him the letter that says 'Namecheck is Cleared'. The IO lady then said 'Sorry, give me some time and I'll be back' etc.

So good idea to get the letter that mentions, 'Namecheck is clear'.

ncc

Hey everybody,
I just came back from my citizenship interview at detroit DO today. The officer went over everything really really fast , i,e: Like 5 minutes and asked me questions of the english and civics and was like " Okay everything looks good.

She then made me sign on a piece of paper with my name on it and told me that the my name on the certificate will look like this, and asked me to initial that piece of paper if the spelling looks correct, so i did.

She finally handed me the N-652, with 2 boxes checked:
1) You passed the tests of english and US history.... etc. (which is great)
2) A decision cannot yet be made about your application !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course i was shocked to see that she checked no. 2 above, especially with how smooth everything went and making me sign that form that had my name on it telling me that this is the way and form my name will appear on the certificate, which of course gave me the impression that i am about all set.

I asked about the reason behind checking no. 2 (decision cannot yet be made...), and to my surprise she answered (Your name check is not complete yet). Of course i answered that as what i heard that interviews nowadays are scheduled only AFTER the name check has been cleared, but she said (No, and i am not really sure how long it is going to take, but everything looks good and that's the only thing left).

What do you guys think? is that usual or unusual? seems odd to me coz it goes against what i know for their rules to avoid being sued. Could it be that she is confused? is it because she was a young new officer and was ebarrased to say that she needs approval of her supervisor so she made up the name check excuse?? did anybody go through a similar experience. I am very confused and terribly worried. Please help with info

it is usually takes 120 days afrer Interview for an Oath to be scheduled.......i received exactly the same letter after my interview and 5 months later i had my Oath and became a citizen.........so, just relax and wait and by the way IO do not tell you anything i dont even know why the sit there if there is no use for them.......before my Oath was scheduled i had infopass appts at least twice a month and it didnt do much for me........i just had to wait :)