• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My immigrant visa (DV) expired before I was able to travel to the United States. What should I do?

userques1

Hello friends, I am a DV23 holder and I got my DV visa last summer. The first entry date of my visa expired last month. For some reasons I could not make my trip (due to some reasons based on health problems) I even paid my Green Card USCIS fee before it expired.
I know that the DV visa can be used for 1 year, but the first entry date has expired. Is there any chance to renew my visa? I feel very bad, this situation is affecting me very badly. I am afraid to write to the consulate, I don't know what to do. Maybe I have hope that I can do something because the 1 year has not expired. What do you think I should do? Is there hope? I will also send an e-mail to the consulate. Is there a concession? Do you think I can reprint my visa? Otherwise I will feel very bad mentally

Thank you.

The visa, upon issuance, is not valid for 1 year. The visa itself is only valid for 6 months or less (depending on when the medical exam expires). After entering the US with the visa, it then becomes a temporary GC and is valid for 1 year upon endorsement at the POE. So if you never used the visa to enter the US, that visa was never valid for 1 year. Unfortunately, DV2023 FY is over, the visa cannot be re-issued or renewed. I'm sorry to say, that really is the end of that opportunity, there's nothing the embassy/consulate can do about it at this point.

The visa, upon issuance, is not valid for 1 year. The visa itself is only valid for 6 months or less (depending on when the medical exam expires). After entering the US with the visa, it then becomes a temporary GC and is valid for 1 year upon endorsement at the POE. So if you never used the visa to enter the US, that visa was never valid for 1 year. Unfortunately, DV2023 FY is over, the visa cannot be re-issued or renewed. I'm sorry to say, that really is the end of that opportunity, there's nothing the embassy/consulate can do about it at this point.
Hi, thanks for asking.
This situation is very sad for me, but you know I have a visa number, after all, if I have a medical examination again, can't they copy my visa again? Don't they have a possibility to do that?

AFAIK, by law, no new DV based visas can be issued once the applicable FY is over. Feel free to contact your embassy/consulate though.

AFAIK, by law, no new DV based visas can be issued once the applicable FY is over. Feel free to contact your embassy/consulate though.
Thank you so much! Okay, yes right, I will. I understand. I may not be an immigrant. But what scares me the most is that I can't get a tourist visa because of this situation... Because I did so much research during the DV process for U.S life, US. cities, I never been in the U.S.. I would like to at least go and travel. :( I feel so sad. Do you think this will affect me getting a B1/B2 visa?

It may, it may not. I can’t tell you one way or the another as only the CO will have the final say. If you’re able to convince the CO you no longer have an immigrant intent, and are able to demonstrate strong ties to your home country or where you’re currently based, then the NIV could possibly be approved.