My expired green card already has my fingerprint and my photo?! Cant they use that Info for I-751?

klr600

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I need to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage. I am out of the US for about 8 month (I had to be out of the country for check ups and wait for my operation date) .my green card expired about 2 months ago. I am married for 2.5 years.
i had the operation 3 weeks ago and now I have to be out of the US for about 6 more months for observation.

I want to come back to the US with in a month to take care of my greencard. i understand that after I send the I-751 I will be scheduled for a biometrics appointment, the thing is I wont be there for the appointment (I will be out of the US). My question is - is this a must, my current expired green card already has my fingerprint and my photo?! Can't they use that Info for I-751?

A recent photo is required for processing, the finger prints are taken to conduct the required checks and cannot be circumvented in any circumstances, if you are scheduled for the finger prints while you are away, have somebody check your mail and if you are scheduled send it back to them and request them to reschedule it with a preferred date for the finger prints when you'll be back in the US.

Hi,
I need to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage. I am out of the US for about 8 month (I had to be out of the country for check ups and wait for my operation date) .my green card expired about 2 months ago. I am married for 2.5 years.
i had the operation 3 weeks ago and now I have to be out of the US for about 6 more months for observation.

I want to come back to the US with in a month to take care of my greencard. i understand that after I send the I-751 I will be scheduled for a biometrics appointment, the thing is I wont be there for the appointment (I will be out of the US). My question is - is this a must, my current expired green card already has my fingerprint and my photo?! Can't they use that Info for I-751?

You needed to have filed for removal of conditions 90 days prior to the 2nd anniversary of the issuance of your green card. As of now, you are going to have to make a compelling case for USCIS to grant a renewal of your green card. Given your medical history, is possible they will overlook this but there's no guarantee. The photo and finger print on your green card has nothing to do with the required finger printing for renewal. The FP is to ensure you are NOT a criminal and hiding something from USCIS, and this finger printing background is done by the FBI. Where is your spouse?

Also, take this thread to family based green card section of this website. Here is a link for your convenience.

http://forums.immigration.com/forum...ed-Green-Cards-Through-Marriage-or-a-Relative

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP's point that they should just reuse the fingerprints and photo they already have on file. While I can see the reason for a fresh photo, given that the new green card is going to be valid for 10 years, I agree that it is nonsensical that their procedures require fingerprinting again. Fingerprints don't change in 2 years, and if they did change so quickly they would be quite useless for criminal background checks.

Jack,

I have never tried to understand USCIS, because that in itself is a torture. I think the FBI just enjoy doing these background checks, it gives someone a thrill to run your finger prints in a database and report, no hits and he's clean. I have always assumed that the photo and fp on the card itself is to verify the holder, should ICE or CBP have suspicion on the person holding the card, they can run the prints and match the photos in their database.

any chance they will not call me for a FP? or it is a 100% must?

hi Al Southner

so basicly what you are saying is that the first FP was not done by the FBI but the one needed to for the I751 is done by the FBI?
my wife is with me, and out of the US as well. we will travel together to the US to work it out

I agree that it is nonsensical that their procedures require fingerprinting again.
It's the validity of the FP check that expire, not the FP itself. The 15 month validity of biometrics is partially based on USCIS' current inability to retrieve previously submitted FPs from their system for resubmittal to the FBI.

Hi Bob,
I see you have done the FP - walk in, is it possible not to wait for the appointment but just walk in to a station? That could really help due to the fact I am short in time.

hi Al Southner

so basicly what you are saying is that the first FP was not done by the FBI but the one needed to for the I751 is done by the FBI?
my wife is with me, and out of the US as well. we will travel together to the US to work it out

All FP are done by the FBI. FP is required and 100% certain that you will need to appear for FP. Sorry to read about your health, wish you a speedy recovery.....

The first fingerprint check was done by the FBI, and the next one for the I-751 will also be done by the FBI. But for whatever strange reason, USCIS does not simply send the existing prints on file to the FBI again so they can check for new crimes. They apparently love the inefficiency of having the applicant show up again to give fingerprints. Especially since they get to charge $80 for the fingerprinting.

Maybe they think someone will remove the fingerprints with acid or surgically install some cadaver's finger print areas... reminds me of Face/Off...

Current USCIS system constraints do not allow for retrieval and resubmittal of FPs.

Bob,

I think USCIS doesn't want to invest in an efficient system, because this is going to take away the $80 biometric fee which seems to be critical to their budget. If you eliminate this back and forth to their ASC for FP, this immigration system will become a little efficient as it now. I have a friend who works at DHS, responsible for some of the improvements at USCIS, will ask him about this FP business. In a week or so, will share what he knows if the information is public. Also, if you read the current proposal to increase USCIS fees, the biometrics fee is of importance to USCIS bottom line.

Hi,
I need to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage. I am out of the US for about 8 month (I had to be out of the country for check ups and wait for my operation date) .my green card expired about 2 months ago.

How do expect to reenter the US with an expired green card? Do you have a reentry permit, or are you planning to apply for a Transportation Letter or Returning Resident Visa?

Current USCIS system constraints do not allow for retrieval and resubmittal of FPs.

Yes it does. USCIS implemented a biometrics storage system, BSS in May 2007. That system should remove the need to retake fingerprints as they can resubmit prints to the FBI as often as they want.

They retake fingerprints probably because of their inefficiencies or for the $80 fee....nobody understands USCIS, sigh....

It seems that for long-pending I-485 applications, they sometimes resubmit the stored fingerprints instead of calling in the applicant for a second or third fingerprinting, as those additional fingerprintings do not bring any revenue. Whereas for applications like I-751 or I-131 (reentry permit), they get to charge $80 for the fingerprinting, so they will require the individuals to give new fingerprints instead of reusing the prints they already captured in the system from the green card process.

Bob,

I think USCIS doesn't want to invest in an efficient system, because this is going to take away the $80 biometric fee which seems to be critical to their budget.
The future ability to retrieve and resubmit a FP does not mean USCIS will get rid of the fee since they must still pay the FBI to conduct the FP check.
USCIS has already invested in modernizing and making the FP process more efficient with the implementation of the BSS (Biometric Support System) and CPMS(Customer Management Profile System). Eventually the system will have the ability to retrieve and resubmit FPs,eliminating the need for an applicant to go for new biometrics. However, the biometrics fee itself will remain a part of the USCIS fee structure.
To suggest that USCIS purposely does not want to invest in making the FP process more efficient due to the fear of loosing the current biometrics fee is -for a lack of a better term- silly.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/Ombudsman%20Liaison/cisomb-2009-response.pdf