My EAD card has A#, should i use this A# to fill out all forms (I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765)?

pp_uu_ii

Registered Users (C)
I am international student with F-1 visa and using OPT right now, so i have an EAD card for working. I'm fill out all forms for AOS and wondering should i use the A# on my EAD card for all these forms or just write "NONE" in the forms? Thank you !!

I am international student with F-1 visa and using OPT right now, so i have an EAD card for working. I'm fill out all forms for AOS and wondering should i use the A# on my EAD card for all these forms or just write "NONE" in the forms? Thank you !!

NO. USCIS will assign you a new A#. That's what i thought when I made my application... but it came back with a totally new A#. I had 2 OPT EADs with the same A# but guess what? That's will not be your A# you will be assigned.

NO. USCIS will assign you a new A#. That's what i thought when I made my application... but it came back with a totally new A#. I had 2 OPT EADs with the same A# but guess what? That's will not be your A# I was assigned.

NO. USCIS will assign you a new A#. That's what i thought when I made my application... but it came back with a totally new A#. I had 2 OPT EADs with the same A# but guess what? That's will not be your A# I was assigned.

Actually, I now think it's the other way around. I checked here after already filling out my marriage-based I-485 form regarding old vs new A#. I was told both -- that an A# is yours forever, but some posters said that they were assigned a different one later on. However, I've already submitted it without the old A#.

My story: I had an EAD, therefore an A#, based on an employment-based petition years ago. Fortunately, I continued working for my H1/GC sponsor and never had to use the EAD to work for someone else, because the EB-based petition was denied. So my EAD was later on invalidated.

I thought that A# was never mine to begin with, null and void, because the petition associated with it was denied and because I never used the EAD.

So when I applied for AOS based on my marriage last year, I didn't write down the old A# on the I-485 form. I got a new EAD about 2 months later and had a different A# on it. So I thought everything was fine.

But of course, since I'm just oozing with luck :p, that was the biggest "beef" that our Immigration Officer had about my case when hubby and I had our interview. Before even swearing us in, the first thing she asked me was, "you had an employment-based AOS filed for you before and you didn't write down an A# here on the form." I told her what I mentioned above, that since the application was denied, that A# is not mine nor valid.

I got the feeling that she was was not very pleasant during the interview because she thought I was "hiding" something, by not disclosing my old A#. She said that because the AOS was denied years ago, I should've gotten a Notice to Appear, yada yada yada..... She wanted to request the old file and see if a notice was sent. I told her I brought all those files and that I never got a notice in the mail. That didn't work, she still wants the files sent from the Nebraska Service Center.

Everything turned out okay in the end, but I thought maybe our interview had been better/decision was made immediately if I had just disclosed my old A# in the form.

Anyway, just sharing my experience with old vs new A# -- probably not the same for everybody......

Good luck either way!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have OPT EAD, that A# is not permanent. If you filed I130 and I485 for AOS and I-765 for EAD, once you received the EAD through AOS, that A# will stay the same for the rest of your process.

So when applying for AOS and filling the I-765 form you choose the following:

I am applying for:

Permission to accept employment

and NOT

Renewal of my permission to accept employment ( attach previous employment authorization document)

Correct?

I am applying for:

and NOT

Renewal of my permission to accept employment ( attach previous employment authorization document)

Correct?

This is what i'm very confused either..SOmebody pls help!

I am applying for:

and NOT

Correct?

Your OPT EAD is an EAD has the name saids..so you are to renew your EAD but this time you are getting a EAD based on AOS.

You should use the old A#.

Its good to have the same A# on all your cases. When certain type of cases are transferred to local offices, its easier for USCIS servoce centers to transfer files when all files are identifiable by one A#.

How hard is it? Did you ever get an EAD before?

I currently have a EAD card from OPT which will expire in OCT 09. I'm going to file for AOS based on marriage in this April. I'm not quite sure if i should file I-765 together with I-485 package in this April (while my card still not expire)or should wait until 120 days before the expiration date on my EAD card (which is in July 09 to file).

In case i should file I-765 with I-485, should i check the box "renewal of my permission to accept employment" or "permission to accept employment" since the new EAD card will base on AOS not the OPT anymore. Thank you.

Actually, I now think it's the other way around. I checked here after already filling out my marriage-based I-485 form regarding old vs new A#. I was told both -- that an A# is yours forever, but some posters said that they were assigned a different one later on. However, I've already submitted it without the old A#.

OPT EAD A# is not the same as the AOS A#. Maybe H1 is, I am speaking from F1 OPT A#'s point. Been through 2 OPT EADs and AOS.:)

I currently have a EAD card from OPT which will expire in OCT 09. I'm going to file for AOS based on marriage in this April. I'm not quite sure if i should file I-765 together with I-485 package in this April (while my card still not expire)or should wait until 120 days before the expiration date on my EAD card (which is in July 09 to file).

In case i should file I-765 with I-485, should i check the box "renewal of my permission to accept employment" or "permission to accept employment" since the new EAD card will base on AOS not the OPT anymore. Thank you.

Permission to accept employment is your option. Your EAD was based on OPT. Now you need one based on AOS.

Permission to accept employment is your option. Your EAD was based on OPT. Now you need one based on AOS.

Thank you for your answer. So i think i'm gonna file I-765 together with I-485 and check the box "permission to accept employment" in I-765. Thanks again.