My DCF Experience

phillydude said:
If your husband has not yet received a letter yet, I'm afraid he might have missed the June schedule. Good luck!!

I'm afraid you're right - they updated the website today and our case number is not on there.

Well that just plain sucks - we sent Packet 3 in on May 3. Where is the Immigration God when you need him?

Do you think the lack of cancellation of the Vermont case is affecting this in any way?

Ratrat

Well it looks like part of the reason why my husband didn't get an interview is because they have drastically reduced the number of CR1 interviews at Chennai this month...

May 2005: 70 CR1 interviews, 16 IR1 interviews

June 2005: 34 CR1 interviews, 15 IR1 interviews

Hmm...

Ratrat

ratrat said:
I'm afraid you're right - they updated the website today and our case number is not on there.

Well that just plain sucks - we sent Packet 3 in on May 3. Where is the Immigration God when you need him?

Do you think the lack of cancellation of the Vermont case is affecting this in any way?

Ratrat
You might have just missed June, by a day or two, thats sucks. But on the bright side, you are stilling getting your spouse to US, faster than those who go through NVC. I don't quite agree with the theory that interviews for CR1 have been reduced. Its quite possible that they had only 35 applicants for Month of June at Chennai.

How do I star? pls help

I got married on May 19th. Came back to USA due to job pressure. But I would like to get her back asap. I am willing to take leave without pay as I love her this girl very much and want to bring her here asap. I want to go back to India and start DCF. How do I proceed. Do I start with I-130 regardless? I read most of ur posts, and I don't remember seeing anything about financial support documents. Do I have to take like pay stubs? or tax returns, or bank statements?
What r the chances of denying DCF? once they approve it how long should I wait to bring her to USA? I didn' t start any paper work at all. so where do I start? pls help.
thanks a lot.
srinivas

oky when you go to delhi to file I-130 you do not need to take any pay stub ... the only thing that you take is document that you need to do file I-130 at New Delhi. Yr passport + naturalization cerit.... once you file it within month yr spuose will receive package 3 and she need to fill out and send it back to embassy asap then here you prepared for AffidavitSupport and send it to her and then she will received Package 4 ( which is her Appointment letter for visa and medical ). Take your affidavite and interivew letter and attend interview.
Approximatly take about 3-4 month.
Good luck

Hi proksr

Check out the PM's I sent you - good luck!

FYI, they do follow the 60 day rule VERY strictly...so make sure you talk to your bosses about giving you closer to 70 days off...I went to Delhi on my 62nd day just to be safe...

Ratrat

Is I-130 the first step?

Is sending I-130, the first step? If it is the case, Can I send I-130 to Delhi or chennai? After doing that should I receive something from them before I walk in for DCF?
Before I go to India, should I take employment certificate and bank statements for affidavit of support? But by the time I go for DCF, they will be 2 months old. will they accept them? I can't trust my admin office to send me the statement on time. I understand from the posts that I don't have to stay there for second interview in the local consulte (chennai for me), butI want to stay in India till I finish everything, as my girl needs lot of hand holding and spoon feeding :p .
Thanks to everyone and ratrat
Srinivas

ratrat said:
From what I understand if you are married for less than 2 years, you are issued a CR visa, i.e. conditional permanent resident visa. This "greencard" is only valid for 2 years.

My husband and I have to go back to USCIS within the ninety days before the two year anniversary of his entry into the United States.

That's the only difference between IR and CR that I know of. IR visas get their permanent greencard from the start (no expiry date of 2 years).

Ratrat

Since I just got married and lets assume that my spouse will get the CR visa soon, we will have to go to USCIS sometime within the 90 days prior to the greencard expiration date?
What is the purpose of this visit? And what happens in terms of the spouse being able to apply for citizenship? Is it still 3 years from the time they enter or it becomes 5 years (2 for CR and 3 yrs for the normal)?

deepiceman said:
Since I just got married and lets assume that my spouse will get the CR visa soon, we will have to go to USCIS sometime within the 90 days prior to the greencard expiration date?
What is the purpose of this visit? And what happens in terms of the spouse being able to apply for citizenship? Is it still 3 years from the time they enter or it becomes 5 years (2 for CR and 3 yrs for the normal)?

My sources:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/articles/2002,0214-Mehta.shtm
http://www.murthy.com/news/UDconres.html

To answer your questions:

1) You and your spouse need to apply together 90 days before your spouse's second anniversary as a conditional resident.

2) Your permanent resident status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States. If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you.

3) Conditional resident spouses are eligible to apply for citizenship 2 years and 9 months from the date of receiving the conditional residency. The spouse can apply even if the I-751 application remains pending, i.e. they have not received their permanent greencard yet. If the spouse’s naturalization interview comes up before the I-751 application is approved, the citizenship application cannot be denied on the basis that the I-751 is pending. It is most likely that the naturalization officer will put the application in temporary suspension until the I-751 application is approved. Conditional resident spouses can therefore apply for citizenship in a timely manner, and hopefully have their I-751 applications approved before the citizenship interview.

You can check the processing dates for I-751 by selecting your service center here:

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

For example, Vermont Service Center is currently processing I-751 applications within 6 months. NYC is processing N-400 applications within 1.5 years...so if you live in NYC, you will definitely get your I-751 approved before you are called for your N-400 interview...

Hope this helps!

Ratrat

Thanks for the information ratrat, quite helpful links you have listed here.

I have another question. I was reading through the instructions on the packet that my wife recieved and I am not quite able to understand the process completely.

They ask for the form DS-230 Part-1 to be mailed immediately. Also they ask for the checklist to be sent to them so that they can schedule an interview date.

From some friends who have gone through this and reading here on the boards, I have this idea of the process.
1. Packet arrives usually in a month, has a form that needs to be filled and sent back to the consulate, along with the copy of passport (in case one didnt have it made when originally filing for DCF).
2. After that is sent, another packet arrives which has additional forms that are to be sent back and once that part is done, they schedule an interview.

However, the way I read this document, and other things the process seems to be somewhat like this.
1. Packet arrives, with DS-230 part-1 which needs to be filled out and sent back to the consulate.
2. When you have all the required documents, mark them on the checklist, fill and sign the second page and send it to the consulate.
3. When they recieve that checklisted page, they will send a notification for interview along with DS-230 part-2.

Which process flow is closer to what really happens? I am so not sure about what to expect. Hope one of you who has already gone through this can explain the process better to me.

Thanks

The process is quite simple...

After the DCF filing, Packet 3 will arrive in a few weeks...

From Packet 3 you have to send back the biographic information and the checklist.

There will be a gap of a 1-2 months until you receive Packet 4. During this time, you should gather up whatever documents you can that are listed in the checklist - financial papers (to be sent to your spouse), police certificate - to be obtained by your spouse in India, etc.

At this point, the interview will be scheduled and the date will be sent to you along with Packet 4.

You do not need to send ANYTHING back from Packet 4. Fill out DS 230 Part 2, get the rest of the requested documents (like medical certificate, etc.) and show up for the interview...

Ratrat

Ratrat,

Do you know if the financial letters and the employment letter and other things required have any date requirements? Do they have to be dated within a certain period immediately before the interview? If so how sooner can this be done?

ratrat said:
The process is quite simple...

After the DCF filing, Packet 3 will arrive in a few weeks...

From Packet 3 you have to send back the biographic information and the checklist.

There will be a gap of a 1-2 months until you receive Packet 4. During this time, you should gather up whatever documents you can that are listed in the checklist - financial papers (to be sent to your spouse), police certificate - to be obtained by your spouse in India, etc.

At this point, the interview will be scheduled and the date will be sent to you along with Packet 4.

You do not need to send ANYTHING back from Packet 4. Fill out DS 230 Part 2, get the rest of the requested documents (like medical certificate, etc.) and show up for the interview...

Ratrat

I think the accepted time period is that they should be no more than 6 months old at the time of the interview...

What I did was I sent the financial documents in Feb/March. But I sent some recent paystubs (from May/June) to my husband so that he can show that I am still employed in the same company with the same pay...

Police certificates are valid for 6 months also I believe...my husband got his in April...

Ratrat

My Husband's Packet 4 Arrived

Hi All

My husband received his packet 4 materials today. His interview is on July 26, 2005 at 8:00 a.m. :D

I am yet to receive the exact scans/list from my husband, so I will follow up with the exact contents when I get more information.

Interview date/time was posted on the Chennai consulate website yesterday. Timeline is as follows:

Visit to Delhi: April 11th, 2005
Packet 3 Recvd: April 29th, 2005
Interview posted on Chennai consulate website: June 16th, 2005
Packet 4 Recvd: June 17th, 2005
Interview: July 26th, 2005
Received CR1 Visa: ??
Arrival at New York: ??

Ratrat

I m so Happy

:) Hi all, Today i received called from my wife that she got her visa :p from bombay
I will update her interview experience once i got more detail from her.
I know there is lot of people wana to know so i will be update her experience probably after Saturday.
Good luck guys.

keyun21 said:
:) Hi all, Today i received called from my wife that she got her visa :p from bombay
I will update her interview experience once i got more detail from her.
I know there is lot of people wana to know so i will be update her experience probably after Saturday.
Good luck guys.

Congratulations!!! I am planning to go to N. Delhi in 3 week of July. Will keep you guys posted.

Regards,
ums

ratrat said:
Hi All

My husband received his packet 4 materials today. His interview is on July 26, 2005 at 8:00 a.m. :D

I am yet to receive the exact scans/list from my husband, so I will follow up with the exact contents when I get more information.

Interview date/time was posted on the Chennai consulate website yesterday. Timeline is as follows:

Visit to Delhi: April 11th, 2005
Packet 3 Recvd: April 29th, 2005
Interview posted on Chennai consulate website: June 16th, 2005
Packet 4 Recvd: June 17th, 2005
Interview: July 26th, 2005
Received CR1 Visa: ??
Arrival at New York: ??

Ratrat

Way to go Ratrat! it will not be long before your hubby joins you. Good luck for his interview. Do post his interview experience from chennai.

Regards,
ums

Packet 4 Contents

Contents of packet 4:

1) Cover Letter and Appointment Letter (To be presented at the time of interview as proof of appointment)

2) Instructions on how to organize the documents. It notes that documents should be listed in the following order:

- Appointment letter
- DS 230 Part 1 and Part 2
- Marriage certificate and wedding photos
- Birth certificate of beneficiary
- I-864 from petitioner
- 1040/W-2 of petitioner from the last three filing years
- 2 photos of beneficiary
- Proof of relationship (wedding invitation, letters/emails, telephone bills)
- Police certificates
- Medical report

3) Fees to be paid - details on how much and who to get the DD's made out to.

4) Instructions on obtaining police clearance certificates and medical report.

5) Medical examination form.

Ratrat