• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My dad won but want to sponsor my 23 years old brother

Princedriss

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

It have been long time , i Have one the Dv lottery and i came in USA in 2013, now i just knew that my dad who is in the 60s , have just been selected and has very low number.

my question is that i have a brother who has 23 years old , and has not been selected : is there any way that my 23 years old brother can be on the list for green card with my dad ?

coz actually my dad does not have interest to come to US , his interest is more about my young brother.

I know he can not include somebody over 21 , now any one have any thing to say about that ?

Hello All,

It have been long time , i Have one the Dv lottery and i came in USA in 2013, now i just knew that my dad who is in the 60s , have just been selected and has very low number.

my question is that i have a brother who has 23 years old , and has not been selected : is there any way that my 23 years old brother can be on the list for green card with my dad ?

coz actually my dad does not have interest to come to US , his interest is more about my young brother.

I know he can not include somebody over 21 , now any one have any thing to say about that ?

He can't do that.

All he could do is get the Green Card, move to the USA and then sponsor your brother (which would take a long time). But since he doesn't want to move to the USA he should just forget it and your brother should find his own route.

Hello Britsimon , I miss you , its been a long time. As i said my dad does not have intention to stay in the US , he has already a tourist visa 10 years , he has great situation back home , so i really dont think he want to stay for more than 3 months in the US.

so it is dead for my young brother ? how long it take to sponsor my brother ? can he apply in usa and come back home ?

Hello Britsimon , I miss you , its been a long time. As i said my dad does not have intention to stay in the US , he has already a tourist visa 10 years , he has great situation back home , so i really dont think he want to stay for more than 3 months in the US.

so it is dead for my young brother ? how long it take to sponsor my brother ? can he apply in usa and come back home ?

I'm not certain about non DV cases - but I am certain your brother cannot be on the DV case. Re-word your question and ask in a different part of the forum (family based sponsorship).

Hello All,

Your brother was older than 21 year old at the time of the initial application, so he , for sure, wasn't included in your father's initial application, so he can't be included in your father winning.

Your brother was older than 21 year old at the time of the initial application, so he , for sure, wasn't included in your father's initial application, so he can't be included in your father winning.

You do this a lot - repeating answers that have already been made clear. It's quite odd.

I didn't pay attention that you already answered it.

Well maybe you should be paying more attention then. If you're not adding anything new to the response that's already provided, your posts simply come across as empty noise.

.... so i really dont think he want to stay for more than 3 months in the US.

... how long it take to sponsor my brother ? can he apply in usa and come back home ?

No. Your dad would need to apply for your brother (assuming he is still single) under family F2B category, the priority dates that are current in F2B at the moment (i.e. visa numbers available) are Sept 2009, so there is close to a 7 year wait. When the category becomes current your father would need to (in 7 years time) show he is living in the US and therefore able to financially sponsor him. Also, if your brother he gets married in the meanwhile, the application lapses because only citizens can apply for married children. Of course your father normally could apply for citizenship 5 years after getting his green card but that means he needs to live in the US most of the time...and then the category for married children of citizens is around a 10 year wait from application...

Last edited:
So it is dead for my lil brother, my dad wont come to live in the US.

So I ll apply for my lil brother once i got the citizenship next year.

Thank you all for your answers, i appreciate it

So it is dead for my lil brother, my dad wont come to live in the US.

So I ll apply for my lil brother once i got the citizenship next year.

Thank you all for your answers, i appreciate it

Ok. Be aware that the wait for siblings is around 13 years... But definitely apply. There is some speculation that when immigration reform eventually happens they will drop sibling sponsorship, but any petitions in progress will be completed. Good luck.

Does your brother not meet the educational eligibility requirements to also try the DV on his own?

I hope you're aware your brother falls within the F4 Family category which currently has about 16-17 years waiting time if you're to sponsor him after you becoming a USC.

Does your brother not meet the educational eligibility requirements to also try the DV on his own?

I hope you're aware your brother falls within the F4 Family category which currently has about 16-17 years waiting time if you're to sponsor him after you becoming a USC.

Has it gone up that high?? :eek: Last I looked it was 13 years!

Hello , my brother applied but never get it , yesterday my dad get it , and my brother missed the age by a year, bad luck

2016-2003 = 13...?

Apparently my calculation was off. Thanks for pointing that out. Anyways what matters is for the OP to be aware of the fact that sponsoring a sibling has a very long waiting period - it's not simply a matter of waiting to become a USC.

Ok two questions :

the case number of my dad is 20xx , which a low number, when do you think he may have the interview visa ? october ?

If he get the green card, what is the time he is allowed to be out of the US ? can he lose his GC if he keep being out of the US ?

thanks

The Green Card is not a turbo boost tourist visa. It's for people to LIVE in the US, not just visit.

So, if the plan is for him to get it and then just continue to live in his home country with little visits to the US here and there, until he can get your brother across, don't bother. He will get his Green Card taken away and, with that, goes your brother's application.

Best thing is for your brother to apply himself.