My Citizenship Interview Experience.........

Upstate_NY

Registered Users (C)
N400 RD = 6/25/2007
Finger Printing = August, 2007
Green Card thru Employment
Washington USCIS Office, Fairfax, VA

My wife & I had our interview this week.

The Interview letter only asked for GC & Passport. I had taken a few other documents as a backup. The documents in my possession were:
1. GC
2. Passport, current & expired showing all my US visas, entry stamps etc.
3. Current utility bills (Electricity, water & gas)
4. 4 most recent employment paystubs
5. My current job offer letter
6. 2 most recent tax papers & W2's (2006 & 2007)
7. 4 pictures
8. N400 Receipt Notice, Fingerprint notice
9. AR-11 (I had moved since I filed N400)
10. Birth Cert

I was called 20 mins after the assigned time. The USCIS officer was a very friendly woman. I remained standing, raised my right hand (palm facing her) and took the oath to tell the truth.

The USCIS officer then requested my GC, Interview Letter, and Drivers License. Then she asked all relevant questions about me in the application to verify that I am the very same person. She asked whether I have committed crimes, any taxes overdue, any membership or provided material support to any terrorist group, etc. I truthfully said no. Then she asked me whether I would defend the constitution & bear arms if needed. I truthfully said yes. She asked me to write a simple sentence in English, which she dictated. Then she asked me to read a preprinted sentence. She asked on where I work and in what capacity. Nothing else on employment.

She asked me six simple questions on US civics, which I answered. I wrote my name in cursive in two forms and in one photo.

The whole interview lasted 10 mins. She said congrats and said that I passed the interview. She gave me N-652 (Naturalization Interview Results). She checked "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval". (This is the norm since all applications are then run thru a Quality Check). I will be getting the oath notification by mail to appear in the court in my place of residence.

Then, we chatted on other issues like the real estate conditions in the town I live, about the deplorable traffic conditions in DC etc.

My wife also had a pleasant interview, and she passed. Again, another nice female IO.

The journey is almost over……... Please stay tuned.

Congrats! Did she say by when will you recieve the Oath? Also what is this Quality check you are mentioning? Some ppl say that they were given the oath same day? How does this work then? (I just had my interview on 28th)

Pardon my delay in responding!

No, the IO said that the oath scheduling & appt is totally out of her hands. She said to just stay put & wait for the oath notification.

You are right that a QC cannot be done if oath is schuled the same day. (or maybe a quick QC is done rightaway?) I guess USCIS knows ahead of time on who is asssigned for oath the same day. Any takes, anyone?

The QC is done (according to IO) to audit the application form again to make sure that the application form is complete and to prevent anyone from going thru the oath by mistake. Maybe others can fill in on this matter.

Pardon my delay in responding!

No, the IO said that the oath scheduling & appt is totally out of her hands. She said to just stay put & wait for the oath notification.

You are right that a QC cannot be done if oath is schuled the same day. (or maybe a quick QC is done rightaway?) I guess USCIS knows ahead of time on who is asssigned for oath the same day. Any takes, anyone?

The QC is done (according to IO) to audit the application form again to make sure that the application form is complete and to prevent anyone from going thru the oath by mistake. Maybe others can fill in on this matter.

I have family in D.C and all 4 who have recently become citizens have gotten oaths same day. They did not go through any quality checks. One friend who did got the recommended approval is still waiting for his oath for the last year.

As far as I know, those who have the interview in the morning will be able to do the oath the same day in the afternoon. While sitting at the waiting area, I did see a lot of folks going for the oath when it was announced.

Unfortunately, my interview was in the afternoon and so the wait for the oath continues.........

In my interview I tool with me:

1. 4 pic
2. gc form that i had applied
3. new n400 form with updated info
3. marraige certificate in two languages
4. BC in two languages
5. I-20 from all school
6. driver license
7. green card
8. passports
9. letter from gc employee that he gives me the permission to study
10. tax transcripts for 4 years
11. tax files for state taxes (entire files for 5 years)
12. all correspondence from USCIS
13. marraige pics
14. my wifes bc
15. interview letter
16. smile

what she asked me ---- md id (dl) and gc and maariage certificate in both languages while interviewing and updating my N400. I gave her my Smiles too.

4 pictures

why would you bring 4 pictures? To hang in 4 corners of the waiting room? Just kidding? Really...why would you bring 4 pics? My IL does not say to bring 4 pics....and if I have to be prepared to be for any reason I'd like to know in what situation that may help. Thanks!

Oath ceremony for DC applicants

The fairfax office processes Northern VA and DC applicants. Same day or administrative oath is available for VA residents. The only option available for DC residents is judicial oath in a district court. As a consequence DC residents have to wait for an oath letter.

My wife and I are DC residents and completed our interview successfully on July 9th. We are still waiting for an oath date. I have heard that DC oaths are scheduled once a month but that they are looking to get additional dates.

Any DC residents waiting on an oath letter or recieved one, please respond.

why would you bring 4 pictures? To hang in 4 corners of the waiting room? Just kidding? Really...why would you bring 4 pics? My IL does not say to bring 4 pics....and if I have to be prepared to be for any reason I'd like to know in what situation that may help. Thanks!

Yeah to keep a mark on each corner... I went to get pic and got 4 coz i know I need 2 for passport... it was in the same envelope, I was lazy to take 2 out... so gave u the fact man!

My US Citizenship Process

Applied from Northern Virginia as US Citizen's Spouse.

02-28-2005 Passport stamped for permanent residency
03-14-2008 Mailed N-400 application for Citizenship
04-03-2008 1st time finger printed
06-12-2008 2nd time finger printed
08-22-2008 Receved letter to appear citizenship interview
09-30-2008 Passed the interview, had oath and citizenship certificate at the same day.