My attorney is a scam... or not?

The Request for Initial Evidence I-485 letter is dated 08/23/2010 and states that information must be submitted within 87 days; thus the deadline was 11/18/2010.

Is it too late now to submit???? Geez, get rid of your attorney!

Singh,

The OP has had a bad experience with this lawyer before, and they reset his case as far new filing. This thread covers all of tribulations with this lawyer. I believe this latest debacle will prove costly, in terms of time and money. I wonder who refiled again after the first screw-up? If I were Cavichi, my next and only stop, is the bar of his state and report him for violation of canons of ethical conduct. He should have told Cavichi that this documentation was due immediately, for him to read the RFE and neglect to inform him, it rather preposterous.

I want my green card... honestly as soon as possible... I'm torn down... and annoyed by this whole thing...
Ok I called USCIS and they told me that they had no record in their system of this RFE, apparently the letter wasn't sent. That's why at the infopass they had no idea why the hold-up.
So now we sent the documents, but the weird thing is that they have my birth certificate (Don't you remember me nagging about it here?)... there's no way I would forget to include it. Yes we had to do the I-864 of my wife... at this point I am just begging for my work authorization.

Today I also plan on applying for a SSN... I need it for tax purposes (my wife's taxes) and actually also to be included in my wife's health insurance... do you think I can get it on this basis? without SSN I can't get on her employer's insurance... that's annoying!!!!!!!!

any hint?

The SSN was denied... I can't have a SSN without a work authorization, I told the lady that the reason is to get in with my wife's insurance, plus I'm gonna need it for tax purposes... nothing, denied.

What exactly is a good NON-work related reason for a SSN?

You can request a SSN with "Not valid for work without authorization from DHS". You should go to another SSN office and see if they can help you. The problem is your attorney, whom you should have fired the first time he filed expired forms.

You can request a SSN with "Not valid for work without authorization from DHS".

That will fail without the EAD.

There is a provision that allows obtaining an SSN without an EAD or work-eligible status if you can show that the SSN is required for a given legal non-work purpose and one is not eligible for work authorization. That doesn't apply here, because he is eligible for work authorization, it's just taking time to get it approved.

What exactly is a good NON-work related reason for a SSN?

One such reason would be to obtain a driver's license for someone in H4 status. The H4 doesn't allow them to work, but the state govt. usually requires SSN for the license.

You don't qualify for such a reason because your status makes you eligible to obtain work authorization.

Contact the insurance company (or your wife's employer, if it is employer-provided insurance) to find out if they will accept an IRS Tax ID instead of an SSN for the insurance. Also note that even though the SSN is requested on the form, that doesn't mean an SSN or Tax ID is required. I was able to put my parents as beneficiaries on my life insurance and they don't have SSN because they've always lived outside the US. So you could try just sending in the form without the SSN and see if they will reject it (by the time they get back to you and request the SSN, you might have it).

Last edited by a moderator:
As Jackolantern said, you can file the joint taxes with a Tax ID. You can get it by filling in form W-7 with a notarized copy of your passport and sending it together with your tax return to the address in the W-7 instructions. That's how my hubby and I did our taxes last year.. it takes about 3 to 6 weeks to get your TIN, I got mine after 3. Regarding insurance, you should call them and ask if you really need an SSN or TIN, because usually you don't.. for me they just used my passport # and I am covered under hubby's insurance and he also put me into his life insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
An update on my case... I just received an email from USCIS

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Request for Evidence Response Review

On December 14, 2010, we received your response to our request for evidence. This case is being processed at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. You should expect to receive a written decision or written update within 60 days of the date we received your response unless fingerprint processing or an interview are standard parts of case processing and have not yet been completed, in which case you can use the processing time information on our website to estimate when this case will be done. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Once a timely response to the request for evidence is received by USCIS, we review the evidence or information you submitted. If you submitted the requested evidence, we continue with the adjudication of your application or petition in light of the new evidence.

really? 60 days? :| so do you think they did already my name check after the finger printing? or not? :|

how long does that usually take?

An update on my case... I just received an email from USCIS

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Request for Evidence Response Review

On December 14, 2010, we received your response to our request for evidence. This case is being processed at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. You should expect to receive a written decision or written update within 60 days of the date we received your response unless fingerprint processing or an interview are standard parts of case processing and have not yet been completed, in which case you can use the processing time information on our website to estimate when this case will be done. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Once a timely response to the request for evidence is received by USCIS, we review the evidence or information you submitted. If you submitted the requested evidence, we continue with the adjudication of your application or petition in light of the new evidence.

really? 60 days? :| so do you think they did already my name check after the finger printing? or not? :|

how long does that usually take?

It is USCIS lingo, back off and eat grass. Just wait the 60 days and make an info pass, are you still using your lawyer? I hope you threw your jog-strap lawyer in the dirty laundry...

yep... what I was fearing...

my second fear is also that my future employer will grow old of my telling him "there's been a little problem" we started off with a "We'll sign by october..." then... "November 15th"... then... "December... no nevermind... I dunno when" :|

I've heard somewhere that working illegally for a USC spouse is "forgivable" but... I should use a fake SSN card... which makes everything so dark and when I am going to get my SSN what I'm going to do? "Hey you know what? I think I used my dead roommate's SSN since today... " or "I've changed sex so I get a new SSN number!" :| how does that work?!

yep... what I was fearing...

my second fear is also that my future employer will grow old of my telling him "there's been a little problem" we started off with a "We'll sign by october..." then... "November 15th"... then... "December... no nevermind... I dunno when" :|

I've heard somewhere that working illegally for a USC spouse is "forgivable" but... I should use a fake SSN card... which makes everything so dark and when I am going to get my SSN what I'm going to do? "Hey you know what? I think I used my dead roommate's SSN since today... " or "I've changed sex so I get a new SSN number!" :| how does that work?!

stay clear of any illegal activity, wait it out. If you are caught with a fake SSN, your green card case is dead in the water and you are going to be in serious frying pan.

GUYS GUESS WHAT?!

-----

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production

On December 15, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

This step applies to applications that result in an applicant receiving a card (such as a "green card") or other document (such as a naturalization certificate, employment authorization document, travel document, or advance parole). Applications will be in this step from the time the order to produce the card/document is given until the card/document is produced and mailed to the applicant. You can expect to receive your card/document within 30 days of the approval of your application.

-------------------------

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

We reopened this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS on December 15, 2010, and are now reviewing our earlier decision. We also mailed you a notice describing the next steps in the process. Please follow any instructions on this notice. Our review should be completed within 30 days. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

finally they ordered the card!!!!!!

good no? :D

question... when I go get a SSN can I get it the same day? or do I have to wait time?

You can get your SSN with full work authorization by showing the EAD.

Things are looking better for you now.

Keep us posted.