My asylum interview

days are moving fast :eek:... I saw my lawyer today and he was also comforting me that my case is a good one :D

I have a question for you guys....

please if the officer asked me in the end of the interview.... "do you have anything to say"... don't you think it's a good chance that I add something useful for my case?

I could say "Thank God that I was able to come here fleeing from the threats"
or "I really thank your help" or... I don't know I want something good "effective and emotional" to say so that the officer feels pity on me... can you help me on this one?

My English is not that good to express a good thing :(

Thank you very much for your time is more then enough, these people are well trained and passed IQ tests over 86 % to deal with these interviews and they will not show any emotions what so ever and just don't act cause it will not help, just try to Be real

Hi Raziel, be consistent watever u say, coz they might ask u the same question again & again in other ways. U will be asked questions based on ur application/info details..so try to give accurate replies & be firm to give informations what u have filled in application only coz asylum officer might ask u some more info, so stic to wat u hv filled.Be particular abt the dates n incidents of ur story..If interview is shorter, its gud for u. Yes officer might check the background of ur case in internet but dont get scared....everything will be alrite if u have confidence in u. So..wish u GUDLUCK & clear ur interview..

You will be fine. I was so exhausted at the end of my interview last week. I said I had nothing to add when the AO asked if I had something more to say. However, my attorney asked me a couple of questions. After that, I said thank you very much for your time to the AO and she wished me good luck.

Now I am waiting with anxiety for the 18.:confused:

Has anyone gone to pick up decision and be told that decision is not ready?

Raziel,

Be frank and be honest. Tell the truth and only the truth.

This is what i said at the end of my interview(an i meant it, honestly)

"I would like to thank the United States. I would like to thank you for your time. If i were back home, i would be speaking with torture, i wouldn't have a chance to say what i said here in front of you. Thank you again. Hundreds of my colleagues and fellow countrymen are being tortured for advocating justice, human rights and democracy. I hope the US stand by them. Thank you."

Well the final thing what the IO asked me was "What's ur long term plan here in the US?"

Then i new it i was approved.

Two weeks after the interview, i went back and collected my grant letter and i-94. From the stamp, i saw that my case was approved on the interview date itself.

Good luck n GOD be with you.

No worries

As what other guys said, try to remember the your submitted package well and be consistent, you'll be fine.

The officers just tried to see if you are eligible for asylum or not, of course you must convince him of your story, but to a persecution victim that is not a problem. For those so-called tricky questions, actually I didn't meet even one in my interview. I think they are just digging some grounds for approving or denying your case. In other words, if the info provided in your application package is not sufficient for them to judge if they should grant you the asylum status, they will question you on specific points. Just FYI.

Interview

Hey Raziel and others,
i had my interview Dec 4. I was a wreck preparing for the interview. The guy did not even ask me about being gay. He asked me a few questions about my health. In all my interview was 42 minutes. Now I have to wait until next week to pick up decision.I would tell people just to read and reread their their affidavit. Also if you get any supporting letters make sure you read them too.

I-589 filed 10/28/08
Biometrics 11/08/08
Interview 12/04/08
Pick up 12/16/08 Guys the wait is crazy but I am trying to be positive

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview

I expected them to ask me about my sexual orientation because that was one of the grounds for my application.My lawyer said maybe the guy was convinced that i was gay and so that is a possible reason he never asked about it.

Interview

Thanks. I need it to because I have been in limbo for so many months now I need my life back. As for that guy that had his interview today please let us know how it went.

Interview

hey Raziel,
i think my interview was much like yours excepting mine took longer. All the best and I hope we both get approved

GayGuy,
Was your interview in San Francisco? I had my interview in SF on Dec 4, as well. My my claim is based on persecution due to sexual orientation. The AO asked a lot of questions about "coming out".. , about what I thought of gender and homosexuality. I was asked if I could be cured someday. I guess it depends on the AO. Or perhaps I did not look gay enough ...:confused:

I am waiting and staying hopeful.

Interview

Hey Tonton,
No mine was in the NY metro area.After 42 minutes it was over and i have been feeling good about it. I guess I wont stop feeling nervous until I hear "approved". The AO told my lawyer that he thought my application was very detailed so i am guessing that is maybe why he never asked me many questions about being gay.