My asylum interview

Raziel

Registered Users (C)
My asylum interview I589 is in 12/11/08 in chicago
guys... wish me luck please
if you have an advice I will be thankful, are there any tricky questions?
will I be asked if I have money or not? I used to have money in my home but here I'm poor.... should I say I'm poor???

Thank you all

Based on my experience, I can suggest that a majority of questions will be tricky. As to the monetary consideration, I would say that it doesnt play any role, or at least, it shouldnt.

will I be asked if I have money or not? I used to have money in my home but here I'm poor.... should I say I'm poor???

Thank you all

Most of the questions will come from your application and supporting documents. Therefore, know those documents very well.

Wish you the best of luck and keep us posted.

Thank you all

and try to remember what did you say and wrote in the visa interview and application if you came here with a visa ..

at the end they will ask you about that and myself i did a mistake :)

Thanks for the advice I will do as you told me.... did the mistake hurt your asylum application process? I hope not

Mine interview before the IO lasted more than 3 hours. The Officer asked me any possible question he could find on internet regarding my situation. Eventually he referred me to the Immigration Judge. What I did afterwards was, to go online and find every case similar to mine and study it. There are hundreds of published cases online and from them you can learn great deal of what the questions are and what the best way to answer them is. Some questions were amazingly similar to mine like they were mine.

Good luck at the interview and if it goes wrong do not give up.

woow, this is scary... plus you filed in 2002 and approved in 2008

mamma mia

If your story is true there is no reason to be scared. Just make sure your memory is clear and that you have the dates clear. Also, don't embellish your story, don't make up anything and if you don't understand a question very well tell the officer you don't understand, don't try to guess what the officer is asking you.

Thank you for the precious advice,

my story is true but I have a short memory... I'm the kind that forget birthday dates for close ones.
I will try to memorize everything these days.

any other tricky questions?

Thank you for the precious advice,

my story is true but I have a short memory... I'm the kind that forget birthday dates for close ones.
I will try to memorize everything these days.

any other tricky questions?

If you lost everything as you say..hving a short memory is a bad excuse. Missing a birthday is a differnt thing than someone coming after your life..PPL dont forget that.

I am not judging you but just letting you know..tell the truth and things will be ok.

OK I will. Thank you.

I have everything written as I remember it with the assistance of legal documents too but I'm afraid that I forget a specific date during the interview... that will be embaressing

Any other tricky questions?

As for my past asylum interview, i told the officer that my church was forced to be closed....there're lots of threats to churches back in my country....right away, the officer gave me a piece of paper, and asked me to write down the name of the church, name of pastor and church address....i think he just wants to make sure this is true....

well... even if he had the name on paper... I think he wanted to measure your immediate reactions more than the information provided in the paper. I heard they are good in that.

What do you think? Do you think he sent someone to check the address or name you provided? I doubt it

This is what makes me afraid in the interview...
Thank you for the information, I will try to be more stable...

Anyone else had tricky questions?

ok, first of all there are no tricky questions ,especially if facts in your case make sense. This is not a job interview. In most cases their intent is to accept your asylum and help you.
Also, they understand that though asylum gives us lots of benefits but it also comes with lots of sacrifices. So, they are little sympathetic toward asyless. You can't go to your home country or see your family for god knows how long. It may sound a minor thing to you now as your mindset is about the interview only, but after couple of years you will start realizing that.
The only piece of advice is read your story thoroughly, don't exaggerate anything. If you are not sure of the answer, then be honest and say you don't know. Even you have a little fear of prosecution in your mind that should be enough to approve your case. "Be brief"; don't talk too much. and "Be precise"; answer only what is asked. They might confirm your address and other dates you specified in the petition. If you can't remember exact dates it ok. For example if you remember one date and don't remember next one you can always say like "about 2 months from the first incident , that happened, and i mentioned the exact date in the supporting document". You have the option to correct them during the interview (it's ok to do that). Look straight in their eyes. Offices are trained to read your body language and will know when you are lying. Short inteview is usually good.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been in any asylum interview before but I only hear from people... I have certain idea bout the interview and the officers... you suprised me with your positive attitude... I hope that I feel it in my interview instead of feeling what others told me. But please... did you notice the posts above? some were questioned based on internet cases... some were asked about the visa and what he said in Embassy... etc.:eek:

I'm glad for saying that their intent is to accept asylum and help :) I think I had wrong idea about them.:cool:

Thank you very much for the advices ... they are priceless Asylee13:)

Thank you all
Raziel,
Just be honest & consistent & you'll be just fine. Be positive. Just remember those asylum officer's are there to judge you based on your performance & asylum ground therefore you have to be prepared for all that been asked to you. Don't hesitate just be truthful. That's the keyword. Truth shall set you free. Good luck. I'm praying for you.
Atique.