multiple AC21

gca2405

Registered Users (C)
I am now in the process of filing H1B extension with my current employer (I already used AC21 once). Current employer also did H1B transfer. Based on my green card processing I should get 3 years extension (140 approved & 485 pending for more than 18 months).

Can I change the employer and ask new employer to file H1B extension? Also, Can I file AC21 again? Is there any regulation on filing AC21 multiple times. I also want to have H1B extension as backup.

gca2405 said:
I am now in the process of filing H1B extension with my current employer (I already used AC21 once). Current employer also did H1B transfer. Based on my green card processing I should get 3 years extension (140 approved & 485 pending for more than 18 months).

Can I change the employer and ask new employer to file H1B extension? Also, Can I file AC21 again? Is there any regulation on filing AC21 multiple times. I also want to have H1B extension as backup.

I assume you are on HIB. What do you mean you already used AC21 once?
You only file for AC21 if you change employers using an EAD not with an HIB transfer. You can either be on EAD and change employers using AC21 or
be on HIB and transfer your HIB.

Could you please explain clearly.

can change employer and ask new employer to file 3 years H1B extension?
I have EAD but I want to be on H1 till my 485 gets approved hence also want to transfer my green card to new employer (AC21) if I change a job. Is it possible?

gca2405 said:
can change employer and ask new employer to file 3 years H1B extension?
I have EAD but I want to be on H1 till my 485 gets approved hence also want to transfer my green card to new employer (AC21) if I change a job. Is it possible?

You can file AC21 multiple times, there is no set limit that i know of.
i don't know how you transfer your GC process to your new employer if you are doing a HIB transfer. Somebody else will have to answer that question for you.

minn_labor said:
You only file for AC21 if you change employers using an EAD not with an HIB transfer. You can either be on EAD and change employers using AC21 or be on HIB and transfer your HIB.

This is incorrect. You need to claim AC21 portability relief when you decide to permanently change employers, no matter what you use for work authorization.