Multiple A#s

aniretake

Registered Users (C)
In my immigration history i was issued 3 different A#s (#1, #2, #3). The files were combined into one when i got my GC. On my GC i have A#3, but on my N-400 invitiation for FP, I have A#2. I am wondering if it can cause problems in the process...

Schedule an Infopass and get the situation clarified. I would have thought that the A# they used for your GC would be the one to survive the other two A#.

Schedule an Infopass and get the situation clarified. I would have thought that the A# they used for your GC would be the one to survive the other two A#.

Cant do it. I live quite far away and dont have any more vacation days other than for interview and oath. I was just wondering if there was someone else with same issue. If no, than thanks anyway.

What do people mean by multiple A#s? I had a few EAD cards while still F1 and those had A numbers on them which are different from my GC A#.

You are wrong, Alexandra. One can have several, but they all combined in one file.

No you can't have multiple A#s. Only way you can have multiple A numbers is if INS mixed up you file with somebody else. I had the same situation and I was given 2 A numbers which I had a ton of problems with down the road. My GC folder got mixed up with a woman who was in jail in Texas and when I went for my GC interview with my husband the IO freaked out and was very mad. She said you can only have on A number. I am just telling you from my experience, maybe your situation is different.

Yes, i know it from experience too. With different applications one can get different numbers. I had student visa, I-485, and I-360, and with each of them i got different A#s which were all consolidated in one file. It is a normal procedure.
Also read here: http://www.rootlaw.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=34

Formerf1, multiple A#s is when you had several different ones throughout your immigration history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, i know it from experience too. With different applications one can get different numbers. I had student visa, I-485, and I-360, and with each of them i got different A#s which were all consolidated in one file. It is a normal procedure.
Also read here:

Formerf1, multiple A#s is when you had several different ones throughout your immigration history.

The numbers you are referring to are not permanent A numbers. The A# number you receive when you get your green card is the only number you can have. At this stage of your immigration process you should have only on A# that is being used on all your documents (FP appointment, etc.)

Quote from your link: All other nine-digit A#'s (these actually always start with a 0) are permanent A#'s and remain permanently with you for life.

Also read here: http://www.rootlaw.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=34

I had similar situation when I had my GC interview. I had 2 A#s. After my gc interview, they had to consolidate them in one file and issue a new A number so few months later I got my GC approval.

Beware: Consolidating A#s to one file is taking time.

The numbers you are referring to are not permanent A numbers. The A# number you receive when you get your green card is the only number you can have. At this stage of your immigration process you should have only on A# that is being used on all your documents (FP appointment, etc.)

Quote from your link: All other nine-digit A#'s (these actually always start with a 0) are permanent A#'s and remain permanently with you for life.

so does that mean EAD A#s are only temporary?. After GC we should only have one A number?

In my immigration history i was issued 3 different A#s (#1, #2, #3). The files were combined into one when i got my GC. On my GC i have A#3, but on my N-400 invitiation for FP, I have A#2. I am wondering if it can cause problems in the process...

They will need to consolidate your A#s after the interview, as other applicants have reported in the past with multiple A#s. If they don't have all the A# files at the DO, it will add a delay in getting your oath until they get all the files and consolidate A#s.

Something is not right here. If you put your A#3 on N400, the FP should come with that number only. Make sure you filled your N400 with correct A# from the GC...not the old ones.

I also have 2 A#s...one from F1/OPT etc....and got a new one when GC process started... but ever since I got my GC with the latest A#..that stayed the same...I did not face any issues combining files..as it is not my problem to combine those 2 A files..it is USCIS responsibility to do it...we just need to be vigilant about it....

but in your case, the FP came with an old A#..that is not right...so check your N400 app...and make sure that GC A# and N400 application A# matches..if you did not make mistake...then you have to get with USCIS using InfoPass....and fix the mess (if it is theirs)...

Last edited by a moderator: