moving while waiting for card

bb_5555

Registered Users (C)
just got notice that my wife was approved for her gc

approval date was 3/6/05

In the meantime we might be moving within the next few months

It is quite possible that we may move before the card comes in the mail.

I don't have a new address to give to INS at the moment

what to do???

You risk the GC being returned back to USCIS and you apply I-90 or something for a replacement card (costs $185 plus postage). Your decision.

However, I got my CARD ORDERED message in 4 weeks after PP stamping. So there is a fair chance of getting the card in 6 weeks.

bb_5555 said:
ok but what if I were to change my address now?

how would I do that?
---- if you have got approval notice then at the time when you go to Local USCIS office to get the stamp in passport you CAN change your address, inform the officer who takes your signature and fingerprint on white Card for Card production that you want to change your address so that the Card can be sent to new address.

moving is not a problem, if you are waiting for just the card. Unlike other approval notice, the envelope on this one, DOES NOT say DONOT forward and I believe filling ar11, calling CIS about address change and telling postal for forwarding address is what you have to do.

Not much of a hassle, since you anyway have to do ar11 and postal change anyway.

bb_5555 said:
just got notice that my wife was approved for her gc

approval date was 3/6/05

In the meantime we might be moving within the next few months

It is quite possible that we may move before the card comes in the mail.

I don't have a new address to give to INS at the moment

what to do???

First question is when is your exact move date?

Second question is when do you plan to get your passport stamped?

exact move date is somewhere around May

no plans to get the passport stamped since we will probably get the card before we decide to go on a trip

we recently got the i-797 saying that the card will arive in about 3 weeks

so it is quite possible we can get the card at our current address

at this point is it really necessary to get the passport stamp?

also supposing three weeks go by and still no card

what to do?

I'm confused now. The prerequesite of the card is the passport stamping. You will not receive your physical green card without you going to INS and have your passport stamped first.

what?

I don't understand

why do we need to get the passport stamped at this point?

they are going to mail us a card

BB_5555,

Usually we need to go to local INS to get stamping (I-551) before we get the card. This happens after we received the approval notice.

But this is not required if one goes for interview to local INS before the approval. At that time, they may collect fingerprint and recent photos which is sufficient for printing the physical GC.

Did you go to interview before your approval process. If not, you definitely need to go to local INS office by getting an appointment in Infopass.

BTW I am also on the same boat as I got my PP stamping on Mar 29 and vacating the home by April 20.

Thanks,
Kalyan

oh ok

I understand

we did all that at the interview.

she took her fingerprints and we gave them some pictures

at that time they didn't approve our case yet.

we even got her a new passport just in case they might approve it right there since here regular passport has been expired for so long.

so you are telling me it is possible to approve a case before the interview?

what situation does that fall under that that might happen. ours is a marriage based petition and I know they are not going to approve anything until they actually see our faces.

In many cases (and usually I guess) USCIS does not call for an interview unless it is required for some reason.

I got my approval after getting a RFE. Got the approval notice in mail and went for PP stamping. We will now have to wait for the physical card which may take about 6 months as per the immigration officer.

good news

I am happy to report that my wife received her card in the mail on friday april 1 a mere 4 weeks from approval date.

thanks to everyone for all your help

one more thing

we also applied for a travel permit with our original petition

we never got it

do you think we can get our money back on it?

bb_5555 said:
one more thing

we also applied for a travel permit with our original petition

we never got it
--forget it
do you think we can get our money back on it?
--NO

** why did you confuse many not writing in your first post that your case is Family based????