Moving to Canada? Job Situation?

get_it_done

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian permanent resident. I am planning to move to Canada(Toronto) in the next two months.

I have been working in US for the last four years in IT. How is the job situation in Canada? I have heard that it is difficult to find a job due to lack of Canadian experience.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

US experience is good enough.
I worked in US for 6 years before getting PR in canada.
Then I got work at one of the largest banks in canada.

Hi Waitingnwaiting

Hi waitingnwaiting,

Can you please tell us when did you landed in Canada and when did you get your first job in your field. Let us know your field also. Just to get an idea how much time it may take to get first job.

Thanks

waitingnwaiting said:
US experience is good enough.
I worked in US for 6 years before getting PR in canada.
Then I got work at one of the largest banks in canada.

jobs in Canada

Dear Guys,

If you have experience in sales, have an MBA/ advanced degree or IT experience, pleaase email me and I might be able to help you with finding a job. I can be reached at (416) 859-3289.

Cheers
Satish

Jobs in Canada-Please ignore my last post

Hello Everyone,

Please ignore my last post. I am not an agent neither do I have ready jobs for anyone. I apologize if my post has caused anyone any inconvenience.

Satish

Moving to Canada

I will complete 6 yrs in July in USA. I am alos planning to settle down permanantly at Toronto...
landing on May 3rd week ..

Hello Bidu,

I'm also in the completion of 6 yrs. Could you tell me how to find job in canada. I've not filed for Canada PR. Would it be possible to find a job and move over to canada. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HDude said:
Hello Bidu,

I'm also in the completion of 6 yrs. Could you tell me how to find job in canada. I've not filed for Canada PR. Would it be possible to find a job and move over to canada. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I never heard about a single person who is working in canada without a PR. Atleast not in my knowledge..

Tread very carefully.
The job market has gone from bad to worse. Add to that 10s of 1000s of skilled immigrants are arriving into the already overcrowded metros.

Unless, there is no way out, stick to wherever you are and dont make a move till you have an offer.

Bidu said:
Unfortunately I never heard about a single person who is working in canada without a PR. Atleast not in my knowledge..

I have never met one, but there is a work permit system in Canada, where you can apply for one if you have a Job offer in hand. The number of people who come on work permit is quite significant.

Not sure how it works, but worth a try if you are confident you can get an offer and dont want to go back to India or other place.

regarding my job in canada

Hi all,
I am working as a software developer in chennai.
Have experience in vb,asp 4 years. vb.net,asp.net,c# 1.5 years.

can you guide me to get job in canada?

Regards,
kamaraj

I am working as a software developer in chennai.
Have experience in vb,asp 4 years. vb.net,asp.net,c# 1.5 years.

can you guide me to get job in canada?

Even many of the professionals in Canada do not have jobs and they want some one to guide them in order to get the jobs...

The job market is the best in Alberta and I think it has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada. They are expecting a shortfall of 332k workers by 2025. (Source WSJ 8/30/06).

The job market is the best in Alberta and I think it has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada. They are expecting a shortfall of 332k workers by 2025. (Source WSJ 8/30/06).

- False Propaganda!

bigboy00 said:

- False Propaganda!

Then can you tell us which state has the best job opportunities/lowest unemployment rate. Also if possible please make some positive contributions to this thread rather than making stupid comments.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2006/08/04/jobs.html

Then can you tell us which state has the best job opportunities/lowest unemployment rate. Also if possible please make some positive contributions to this thread rather than making stupid comments.

Are you a cdn govt employee or what, encouraging people to believe on these news sites? Whatever I say is based on my own experience. If you consider quoting news item (URL) on this web site as smart (and my comments as stupid), how about reading www.notcanada.com?

Bigboy
I never said it was easy finding jobs of your liking in Canada. I only said that the chances of finding a job (may not neccesarily be of your liking) are higher in Alberta than in any other state. My comments are addressed to people who have made up their mind about coming to Canada come what may and I am sure there are many. I am telling those people that they have better opportunity of finding a job in Alberta with its 3.6% unemployment rate.

Bigboy,
I never said it was easy finding jobs of your liking in Canada. I only said that the chances of finding a job (may not neccesarily be of your liking) are higher in Alberta than in any other state. My comments are addressed to people who have made up their mind about coming to Canada come what may and I am sure there are many. I am telling those people that they have better opportunity of finding a job in Alberta with its 3.6% unemployment rate.

-- Sure, but you could use polite language, calling somebody stupid is not nice. Also, I have lived in Alberta for a long time and have seen harsh employment scenario, (inspite of having cdn education, cdn work experience and cdn citizenship).

I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen and have lived and worked in both Canada and the US for over ten years each. Most recently, I was living in Edmonton, Alberta for two years, but have now moved back to the US and am working, ironically, in immigration law! I recently started this job, so I can't give any immigration tips just yet. :p

The Canadian job market is overrated and not as great as the government claims. It's funny because I remember seeing a Canadian Government advertisement in an Indian paper guaranteeing people who immigrated to Canada that they would have great jobs!

The best provincial economy in Canada right now is Alberta and it's mostly because of the oil sands up North. Edmonton is big in the trades. Calgary (which is a great city, by the way) doing better for white-collar jobs for oil companies. But the job market in Alberta right now is in Fort MacMurray, where people who work in the oil sands can start making $20 an hour. Even McDonalds pays more than $10 an hour there. However, the cost of living up there is really high and it’s isolated and very boring. But that is where the best money in Canada is at the moment. Oh, and there are a lot of temp jobs in Alberta too.

The other places, the Toronto market is very saturated right now, especially since most new immigrants move there when they arrive in the country. Toronto is also a very expensive place to live. Montreal’s market is pretty bad too because of French language laws and the highest taxes in the country. Vancouver’s is getting better, mainly from an increase in the transportation industry, construction for the Olympic Games and natural resources. However, Vancouver is notorious for being very expensive, and salaries there are not so good.

So, if I were to recommend any place in Canada, it would be Alberta, as long as oil prices remain high. As soon as the oil prices drop, then the economy there will be in a tailspin because they’re not doing anything to diversify their economy. Between Edmonton and Calgary, I would choose Calgary. Edmonton sucks.

But if you’re trying to choose between working in Canada and the US, I would stay in the US, no question. Even with a hot Alberta economy, there is more opportunity in more sectors in the US.

With my situation, I was educated in Canada and worked in both countries. The quality of the jobs was better by orders of magnitudes in the US, in terms of pay and everything. When I moved back to Edmonton two years ago, it was mostly for family issues, but I came back with an open mind. However, I was bitterly disappointed because the only work I found was at call centers, and they don’t pay well and the working conditions were atrocious. What was really sad is that I was working with a lot of people who had Masters of PhDs from countries like India and they were stuck working there because nobody in Canada would recognize my experience. I was also surprised that few people would recognize my US working experience. I got sick of these jobs and I’m now back in the US.

I think Canada has enormous potential, but a lot of it is wasted, especially the way they deal with labor talent. It’s really unfortunate that they advertise a labor shortage when it’s really not the case.

Last edited by a moderator: