Moving abroad after oath

aCookieMonster

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

Me and The big cheese boss, the wife were thinking on moving abroad for a couple years or so to my home country. Would I be in trouble moving a couple weeks after getting my US passport? We'd like to take some of our stuff, and would ship it away, and we'd probably have to say we were moving so we dont pay import taxes (that's how the law in my country is).

Anyway, any insights?

Hello Guys,

Me and The big cheese boss, the wife were thinking on moving abroad for a couple years or so to my home country. Would I be in trouble moving a couple weeks after getting my US passport? We'd like to take some of our stuff, and would ship it away, and we'd probably have to say we were moving so we dont pay import taxes (that's how the law in my country is).

Anyway, any insights?

No, you wouldn't get in trouble. When you become a citizen, you are free to go. No restriction! :) Don't forget that your home country will be USA after your becoming a US citizen. :)

Your trouble might be with the country where you're moving to; no problem with the US. If the other country doesn't allow dual citizenship (i.e. they revoke your citizenship automatically upon becoming a US citizen), you'll probably need a visa or some other immigration paperwork to be allowed to move back there. And if they allow dual citizenship, they'll probably require you to enter the country using their passport, not your US passport.

Your trouble might be with the country where you're moving to; no problem with the US. If the other country doesn't allow dual citizenship (i.e. they revoke your citizenship automatically upon becoming a US citizen), you'll probably need a visa or some other immigration paperwork to be allowed to move back there. And if they allow dual citizenship, they'll probably require you to enter the country using their passport, not your US passport.

Oh, no worries there since it does hehehehe :)

No, you wouldn't get in trouble. When you become a citizen, you are free to go. No restriction! :) Don't forget that your home country will be USA after your becoming a US citizen. :)

Well, no...I'll always have two homes :) :D I don't think I'd want to give up my other citizenship...I love the US, but I love my home country too.

Last edited by a moderator:

People usually know how to get around back in their own original countries.

Agree with the previous replies. You can live anywhere you want. One little caveat is taxes. Since you are a US citizen, the IRS will come knocking. If there is a tax agreement between the US and your original home country you should be fine and double taxation will be avoided. I suggest you check that with a competent tax atty or call or talk to somebody in the IRS.

Agree with the previous replies. You can live anywhere you want. One little caveat is taxes. Since you are a US citizen, the IRS will come knocking. If there is a tax agreement between the US and your original home country you should be fine and double taxation will be avoided. I suggest you check that with a competent tax atty or call or talk to somebody in the IRS.

Double taxation will be avoided only if the amount of taxes paid abroad is higher than the amount of tax you would pay in the US, otherwise you have to pay the difference.
Also, there are strict rules to be followed to be considered an overseas-resident.

People usually know how to get around back in their own original countries.
After obtaining US citizenship, many people don't realize that they need to do things differently to live in or even visit their original country. Some just go ahead use their old non-US passport even though they no longer have citizenship of that country (they get away with it because the other country doesn't know they have US citizenship). Others whose other country allows dual citizenship just go ahead and use their US passport, not realizing that the country requires them to use that country's passport. Then they get harassed at that country's port of entry when the officer sees their country of birth in the US passport.

After obtaining US citizenship, many people don't realize that they need to do things differently to live in or even visit their original country. Some just go ahead use their old non-US passport even though they no longer have citizenship of that country (they get away with it because the other country doesn't know they have US citizenship). Others whose other country allows dual citizenship just go ahead and use their US passport, not realizing that the country requires them to use that country's passport. Then they get harassed at that country's port of entry when the officer sees their country of birth in the US passport.

Yes, but it's a non-issue anyways.
Even if somebody uses the US passport to enter the country, he will have to eventually prove his/her other citizenship (using the equivalent of the US SSN) to go ahead with routine activities (getting a job, buying/renting an apartment, opening a bank account, etc etc).

Dude,

Just go and enjoy your new citizenship at home. :) Remember to come back when you are 62 yrs for social security and medicare, will be even better then because of the govt run public health care options. :D If you are from Iceland, be on a McDonald burgers for 3 weeks before leaving, no more McDonald in Iceland, so you will need that "I"m loving" burgers...

You should continue paying taxes in Uncle Sam, we need your money dude...:cool:

Dude,

Just go and enjoy your new citizenship at home. :) Remember to come back when you are 62 yrs for social security and medicare, will be even better then because of the govt run public health care options. :D

You should continue paying taxes in Uncle Sam, we need your money dude...:cool:

I don't think govt run healthcare is going to happen, thankfully.
Also, unless the OP is very close to age 62, I don't think social security benefits are gonna happen either... :D