mother overstayed her Visa and will be going for renewal visa

ASHTON KUTCHER

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

Anyone who has knowledge in the following can reply back to me.

Mother 10 years Multiple visa will expire in May 5th of this year, questions:

1. What is the last date she can travel with this Visa?

2. She overstayed her trip in 1998 by 2 yrs and came back 3 times after that trip without any issues at POE and did not O/S her time in 2006 twice and in 2007 , what complication would she have at the Trinidad (Caribbean) Embassy for renewal visa ?

3. Would they ask about the first trip and why she O/S ? not sure since she made 3 trips after and had NO issue at POE.

4. Should I go with her for the visa renewal, since I could explain better if this questions comes up ? I have her regular Dr. letter and medical record showing that she was I'll and was seeing him, but not from the hospital.

The reason she O/S in 1998 is due to emergency surgery 15 days before her return date so she was ill and couldn't go back until she feel well which she did and went back on in 2001.

Your help is appreciated

Ashton

YOu know, I remember your last post here. THe visa was invalid due to 222g when she entered after overstay and people suggested to get new visa, yet you let her enter the US with old visa.

Talk to a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to an Office at the 800 customer service and he said she can re-enter using the same visa since it was not stamp invalid and it was there error in doing so , he also mentioned that she can use it until the exp date on the visa so that is not the issue here.

Keep in mind I mentioned the O/S time 2 years and he said that is fine she been away for 5 years and she will not have any issue coming back in and he was correct on the 2006 trip, so I would go with his suggestion not yours, you are working with CIS are you? didn't think so.

I requested info on getting her new visa not the past visa.

Ashton.

I spoke to an Officer at the 800 customer service and he said she can re-enter using the same visa since it was not stamp invalid and it was there error in doing so , he also mentioned that she can use it until the exp date on the visa so that is not the issue here.

Keep in mind I mentioned the O/S time 2 years and he said that is fine she been away for 5 years and she will not have any issue coming back in and he was correct on the 2006 trip, so I would go with his suggestion not yours, you are working with CIS are you? didn't think so.

Which 1-800 did you call ? If it's CIS, they maybe able to answer, but not the best place to ask. Probably CBP and DOS are where you should call.

Being able to enter the US last few years does not mean it was OK. I believe they just did not have the record in system. The problem could arise when she applies the visa next time.
DS-156 has a question specifically asking about overstay. She will be questioned by officers at interview. I'm not sure what consequence it will be.

I spoke to an Officer at the 800 customer service and he said she can re-enter using the same visa since it was not stamp invalid and it was there error in doing so , he also mentioned that she can use it until the exp date on the visa so that is not the issue here.

Your bully comments are not welcome here, take your business elsewhere.

And what makes you think it is true ?:rolleyes:

If you don't want to hear what we have to say, don't ask for advice.

The plain and simple fact is that overstaying a multiple-entry visitor visa does cause it to be voided, regardless of what the drones manning the 800 customer service line might have told you. (BTW their advice is often outright incorrect, so believe it at your own risk). Also, by overstaying for as long as she did, she should have been subject to a 10 year reentry ban.

I think your mother is going to have difficulty with renewing the visa. She will need to be able to prove strong ties to her home country, and that she will not overstay on any future visits. Issuance of the visa is entirely at the discretion of the consular officer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got her renewal visa with NO problem as well

Just saw this post which been going back in 2008, just wanted to confirmed i went with her for her renewal visa in 2008 and explained to the officer and we chated for a bit since he recognized i was from the US and he said things happens all the time and he issued another 10 yrs visa to her.
I must say she was very lucky as many after overstaying there visas are not allowed a renewal visa.

Ash