Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Prithis - thanks for clarifying things. Perhaps I wasn't clear with my response. I apologize for any confusion.
Lucien Mike - I only went to MDS Executive Health Services in Montreal, so I can't compare it to Howard Seiden. However, I must say that MDS was extremely professional, well-organized and relatively inexpensive (exam was $197 CAD). If you don't have immunization records, then it could be costly because they will immunize you (and charge you!) for a few shots. Did you grow up in Quebec? If so, then I suggest contacting the Ministry of Health in Quebec. I did the same for my province of birth, and was able to get a complete record of my vaccinations that I received as a child. Best of luck...
Muffin1973

Muffin1973, I was born in China and immigrated to Montreal 2 years ago. So I there is no vaccination record in the Minister of Health of Quebec. Can I go to the clinic to get vaccinated?

Uae Pcc

Hi Prithis & Visa1,

I noticed both of you at one time or another got a PCC from the UAE. Could you tell me how you went about getting them? Prithis, I understand that you contacted your friend - did you have to get the fingerprints "authenticated" by anyone in US/Canada before you sent them in? Also, did your friend in the UAE have to show a copy of your UAE visa at any point? Did you both actually live in Dubai or some other state, and your sponsor was based out of Dubai? - this is because I noticed in the form that the embassy sends you, they ask for "places lived in" - so if, for example, I lived in Sharjah, and my visa's sponsor was based out of Dubai, and I showed a Dubai PCC, I wonder if that would be okay.

The reason I ask is that I used to live in the UAE till I was 18 - so I need to get one. However, I have since changed my citizenship, and I am not sure I can find my old visa (that was three passports back!). I am still deciding between concurrent filing and CP, and I guess I would really appreciate your feedback since the "hassle" of getting a UAE PCC is one of the major factors affecting my decision. Thanks a lot for your help! DG

Lucienmike,
Yes - the day of your medical appointment, the Clinic will vaccinate you against anything they deem necessary, according to the stipulations set forth by the US State Department.
Muffin1973

desiG:
The steps (in canada) to obtain a Pcc from UAE
1. Obtain fingerprints from local RCMP
2. Mail it to the department of legal affairs, Ottawa for authentication. Send in a cover letter and ask them to forward it the UAE embassy in ottawa. Also enclose an envelope addressed to UAE embassy with thw following
---- a self addressed stamped envelope, money order of $25 made to UAE embassy, and a cover letter stating the purpose of obtaing a PCC. Dept of legal affairs will forward it to UAE embassy.

UAE embassy will send the fingerprint form to you with their stamp. This can be used to obtain a PCC from UAE. The best way is to ask someone in UAE to do it. I only sent in my birth certificate (born in UAE) and a cover letter to obtain it with the help of a friend.

I think getting one from from wherever you lived should suffice. You can also email montreal consulate with questions. From this board I understand that they do respond.

Everyone - I got my plastic "green card" in the mail today, 23 days after entering the United States. I never thought that I would cry getting a piece of plastic, but it was a terrific feeling to open that envelope. I hope that you all get the same feeling soon, it's such a relief.
Muffin1973

desiG

Visa1's response is 100% accurate. I would like to add the following info:

1. Send the completed fingerprint form to the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Ottawa for legalization and the address is: 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G2 Attention: Legalization of documents Section (JLAC). They do not charge a fee. In my case they sent the legalized form back to me, as I had not asked them to forward it to the UAE Consulate.

2. After the Department’s legalization, forward the document to the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Ottawa for legalization along with a money order of CAD$25.00 (for each fingerprint form) payable to the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates and a prepaid return envelope.

The UAE Embassy’s address:
Attention: Consular Section
UAE Embassy
45 O’Connor Street, Suite 1800
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A4
Tel: 613-565-7272 ext. 224
E-mail: safara@uae-embassy.com

3. I photocopied all pages of my passport (even blank pages), including the UAE visa page.

4. Send 4 color photographs per person.

I was resident in Abu Dhabi, so I prepared a covering letter to the Police Dept. in Abu Dhabi. In your case you would have to get the PCC from the police dept of the Emirate which had issued your UAE visa. You can get the Police Dept's address by emailing the UAE Consulate in Ottawa at safara@uae-embassy.com.

However, my strongest piece of advice to you would be to send your papers to a friend/contact in the UAE and get it processed through him. I learnt this the hard way. The Police Dept would charge a fee for this service, and I am not sure how much this fee is at Sharjah.

In my case I also asked my friend in Abu Dhabi to get a legal translation of the Arabic certificate in English. I submitted both the Arabic certificate as well as the legal English translation to NVC. The PCC will have an expiry date of a couple of months. Do not worry about this. In my case the UAE PCC was over 9 months old and "expired" as per the expiry date on the certificate, but it was accepted without question by NVC.

Prithis

Last edited by a moderator:
Muffin1973

Congrats on getting your plastic card! Do not forget to get the restrictive clause removed from your SSN card.

Prithis

Prithis,
I'm confused about this issue of SSN card restrictions. I don't have my SSN card in front of me now, but I believe that it says "valid for work only with INS authorization" (because I got my SSN card when I was on a H-1B Visa). Can this phrase be removed from the SSN card? Doesn't the green card qualify as INS authorization?
Thanks,
Muffin1973

just go to your local ssa office, show them your GC, and request a new social security card without the restriction printed on it. about 3 weeks later your new card should arrive in the mail.

Muffin:

As per the SSA website, there are 3 types of SSN cards:
1. The first type has just the name and number. This is issued to US citizens and permanent residents with Dept of Homeland Security authorization, in other words, the Green Card
2. The second type bears the words "Not valid for employment"
3. The third type bears the words "Valid for work only with INS authorization". This is issued only to people admitted for work on a TEMPORARY basis, such as on a H1B visa.

After you got the GC you fall now into the first category. As Rukkles has pointed out, it is easy to get a replacement card with the same number but without the restrictive clause. If you change your employer in the future they may look for your SSN card without the restrictive clause, as you are a permanent resident.

Prithis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed answer Prithis and Rukkles. A trip to the local Social Security Office is in order...
Muffin1973

Cheers to everyone who contributes to this forum making it invaluable source of information. Question:
My interview at Montreal is in the offing but my worksite location has changed since my labor cert was filed 2 years ago. However, my employer and line of work remain the same. (New location is ~20 miles away from the original). Could it pose any problems? Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the information! I will have to find the US equivalents (call to the Canadian UAE embassy said it has to be from where you live), but the process should be the same. Thanks a lot!

GCCOM,
I don't believe it will pose any problems. If you're concerned, my advice would be to get a letter from the employer (or some other form of proof, i.e. press release, etc.) stating that the facilities moved from Site A to Site B. 20 miles is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things...
Muffin1973

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. Plus, my employer continues to have contracts in the original location and possibility of my going back to that area cannot be ruled out. I just have to get this on the paper by my employer. Thanks a lot!

interview schedule....

I just submitted my packet 3 to NVC however, my work permit here in canada( I'm not an immigrant) will expire in 3 months time( August), would it delay me to be scheduled for an interview?......Do you think NVC will require to renew my work permit before forwarding my papers to Consulate?....Thanks in advance!

Alanfoley12,
My question for you is this - if your Canadian work permit expires before your interview date, what are the consequences in Canada? The NVC and the Consulate generally focus on one's maintenance of legal status in the USA, though they may view breaking legal status in another country as a troublesome precedent. How much trouble is it to extend your Canadian work permit? It may all be moot, because if everything is smooth I would expect your interview to be SCHEDULED before the work permit expires, though the actual date of the interview could be in September. That's just my guestimate.
Muffin1973

Is it time to get concerned yet?

Fellow CP'ers,
I got my welcome notice on 5/22/2004 and my physical green card on 6/1/2004. However, my wife who entered with me has not yet received her welcome notice or physical green card. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I won't rest until I get that final plastic card....Thanks in advance.
Muffin1973