Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Does anyone know if there are any IRS forms that may be asked for at the interview?

At the time of my interview (April, 2002) they were asking for the IRS Form 9003. Shortly after that they discontinued its use, however.

Commuter status

My packet 3 has been submitted to St Louis recently. My situation is as follows.

I currently work in Canada and once the GC is obtained I will be employed by my US based employed in the US (instead of in Canada at present). I intend to commute to the US everyday and continue to stay in Canada like I do now.

My wife who is also employed in the US will also continue to commute as she does now (she is under an H1 visa now)

I understand that both of us can declare that we are commuters and avail of a commuter green card with its special obligations and all that - such as demonstrating continued employment in the US every 6 months.

The issue is about my school going daughter - If she applies with us , my wife and I can claim commuter status but she obviously can't. At the same time we would not want her to lose the GC that she would get automatically now in case she needs it in the future. What is the best course of action for us? Let her get the card and then take the chance that she would not get disqualified for not living in the US ? Please help.

Thanks.

Re: Welcome letter and card

pkv2,

I hope you were succesful in having your plastic card error fixed and that your spouse has received her plastic.

I haven't received welcome letter or card although we did our POE the same day. Also, TSC and CSC (being the center which processed my I-140) do not have any record of my A#. Do you have Toronto's phone number; perhaps I can call them to inquire about status... Or I am willing to try any other idea anyone else might have.

- Pulitu

Originally posted by pkv2
Folks,
update on Toronto POE and cards.

myself:
finally got welcome letter from TSC this week. my poe date was August 21st in Toronto. In fact, i got two welcome letters, both in my name!!

i got my card as well...but under the Resident Since column: my birth date is there instead of my POE.

Brian, Najib others.....what does yours say...your POE or your Date of birth?

spouse:
got a letter from Tornoto immgn that the photograph was not good (almost one month after POE) and asked to send another set of photographs...we sent that....photos reached on the 25th September..but no information yet about her card/welcome letter.

have been trying to call TSC all morning...but no success yet. Brian...what time did you call them. don't know if they sent me two welcome letters by mistake or if one of them should have been my wife's?

Answer to someone else's question:
an updated employment letter is something that they asked me at my interview as well. ...i think they really look for that. if your company lawyer says you don't need it, i like the idea of taking a written note from the lawyer to your interview and showing them that it was the lawyer's suggestion that the letter was not needed.

good luck and best regards,
pkv2

Commuter GC

rzz1gv:
I guess the best course would be a decision about what you really want, and what's more important to you. Sounds like you plan to use the GC simply for employment in the Us and may want to look into TN or H1b visa, I am not sure if there is such a thing as a commuter green card, and with the current strict rules and regulations affecting the immigrants you are likely to face trouble down the road.
If you are a Canadian citizen working in the US on TN or H1b, commuting sounds reasonable, but why would someone who wants to immigrate to the US would continue to want to live in Canada? I'll be interested in knowing the opinion of Gurus like GCdrone, LeroytheLion, PKV2,Morgan,Najib .......etc on this one

Re: Re: Welcome letter and card

Pulitu,
It was really sad hearing that. Two months is really long. I think it is at least not a bad idea to give Toronto a call in case they forgot submitting.

Can you tell us how you can find out if your A# registered with TSC or CSC yet?

Originally posted by pulitu
pkv2,

I hope you were succesful in having your plastic card error fixed and that your spouse has received her plastic.

I haven't received welcome letter or card although we did our POE the same day. Also, TSC and CSC (being the center which processed my I-140) do not have any record of my A#. Do you have Toronto's phone number; perhaps I can call them to inquire about status... Or I am willing to try any other idea anyone else might have.

- Pulitu

Wages increased substantially

My current salary is at least 25% higher than that is shown inLC and in the petition for I-140 (EB2/TSC) .

I am awaiting my I-140 Approval and planning to do CP in Montreal.

Does any of you guys know, if it could be a problem during CP / Packet 3 ?.

Would it be required to show/submit the Pay-stubbs anytime during the process ?.

I know my employer has shown the prevailing wages for both LC and I-140 petitions. LC got through succesfully (with one RFE requesting to show a little bit of more wages and re-posting because the prevailing wages had increased between the time of submission and approval.).

Does any one of you know if there is a problem for EB2 I-140, just because the petition shows only the prevailing wages.

My lawyer says wages in not a requirement for EB2 at all and adavanced degree and incremental experience is what is counted.According to him the position should also require an advanced degree. ( I am OK with all the above requirements)

Your openions are very much counted on guys !, as we are all in the same boat.

:confused: :confused:

welcome letter...

Hi Everyone,

My interview day was on 10/07/02 which is when I also entered the US. Yesterday (10/22/02) I received a Welcome letter which stated that I should have the card within 3 weeks.

Re: welcome letter...

Hi, Salazawi,
Can you post your POE?

Thanks.

Originally posted by salazawi
Hi Everyone,

My interview day was on 10/07/02 which is when I also entered the US. Yesterday (10/22/02) I received a Welcome letter which stated that I should have the card within 3 weeks.

Former J1 - commuter

Hi Former J1

My lawyer confirmed that there is commuter status still for residents of Mexico and Canda.
I currently work in Canada and the US principal will switch me to the US operation once the card comes through. The reason I am interested in the card is because of employment mobility should the need arise.

I will be within easy commuting distance when I eventually am employed in the US.

My reluctance to move is
a. I like being here - Though I have lived in the US for many years earlier , still somehow find it preferable to be in Canada. People, atmosphere (and I have a real choice apart from CNN!!)

2. Because of the substantially greater real estate prices that I would have to pay if I moved to the US.

3. The disadvantage in taxes in Canada is something I am willing to overlook.

rzz1gv,

not to argue your reasons but:

a) if you are a Canadian citizen with a US GC and within commuting distance of the border, you retain your employment mobility anyways. Reside there, work here. Reside there, work there.
b) Higher real estate prices - lower real costs due to mortgage deductions on your tax returns, higher resale value
c) Alternatives to CNN - get Star Choice /Bell ExpressVue and take it with you. Give them a Canadian billing address.
d) Taxes - if you really are willing to overlook it, I will be happy to take the difference :D
e) people, atmosphere - well, you are within easy commuting distance, ain't you? and with the difference in taxes, you can probably get a second home this side of the border;) that you can come to on the weekends to enjoy the local ambience...

Re: Re: Re: Welcome letter and card

Jiang,

Do you have the Toronto telephone number?

As for CSC and TSC I called them up to find out status of my plastic card. CSC: 949 831 8427, TSC: 214-381-1423

- Subhashis

Originally posted by jiang
Pulitu,
It was really sad hearing that. Two months is really long. I think it is at least not a bad idea to give Toronto a call in case they forgot submitting.

Can you tell us how you can find out if your A# registered with TSC or CSC yet?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Welcome letter and card

Did a search and here is the info you wanted:
Open Hours: Daily, 5:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Telephone: (905) 676-2563

Mailing Address: U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service, Lester B. Pearson International Airport
P.O. Box 6011, Toronto AMF, Ontario, Canada, L5P 1B2

Keep us posted if you find out anything.

Originally posted by pulitu
Jiang,

Do you have the Toronto telephone number?

As for CSC and TSC I called them up to find out status of my plastic card. CSC: 949 831 8427, TSC: 214-381-1423

- Subhashis

How particular are they about photos for kids?

Hi,

I have two kids and was kinda wondering if the CP process will be particular about the photos for the kids. One is 3 and the other is less than a year old (cannot sit) - so it may be kinda hard to get them to pose for the 3/4 photo required - especially the younger one, he needs to be held up.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Re: How particular are they about photos for kids?

Sorry I don't think so. Kids also need the required photos. Don't worry too much and people in photo shops know how to do it. I held my kid up and the photograher took the picture.

Only preferential treatment is that kids do not need to be fingerprinted and sign for the green card.

Originally posted by StillAtSea
Hi,

I have two kids and was kinda wondering if the CP process will be particular about the photos for the kids. One is 3 and the other is less than a year old (cannot sit) - so it may be kinda hard to get them to pose for the 3/4 photo required - especially the younger one, he needs to be held up.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Re: Wages increased substantially

Originally posted by imihelp
My current salary is at least 25% higher than that is shown inLC and in the petition for I-140 (EB2/TSC) .

I am awaiting my I-140 Approval and planning to do CP in Montreal.

Does any of you guys know, if it could be a problem during CP / Packet 3 ?.

Would it be required to show/submit the Pay-stubbs anytime during the process ?.

My salary was also substantially higher than the one listed on the LC. The only requirement is that you make at least the LC amount or the prevailing wage - a higher salary is not a problem.

Regarding pay stubs, I took them with me to the inteview, but nobody asked to see them.