Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Please advise

Congrats NAGIB

I am canadian PR and applied for 140 In july.
What would you suggest me 485 or CP?
What are the latest PCC(Police clearance) requirements.
Only canada PCC is fine or we need from all countries we lived since 16 years of age.
My borther got GC in Dec,2001(Canadian citizen)at that time he just provided Canadian PCC(RCMP).

Please also advise, Can I send Affidavits for meand my wife instead of Birth Certificates.

Please reply. any one.
TK.

I485 vs CP

In my opinion it no longer makes sense to go with CP. You can now file I-140 and I-485 concurently. For CP you still have to wait until I-140 is approved before filing it.

Re I485 vs. CP

Most people opt for CP because they want to get the process over with as quickly as possible, even if the CP advantage over AOS is now down to a matter of months (instead of over a year or more as before). Most CP cases are done within 5-6 months after I-140 approval, negating the attractiveness of possible AC21 flexibility offered by AOS. If you're in the TSC region, a CPer will STILL easily have his/her green card in hand a year before a person going for AOS.

Another major factor is your level of trust in the INS. Many people have had very frustrating experiences with the INS, with changing requirements, unexpected delays, unpredictable processing times, etc. It's extremely difficult to get reliable information about the progress of your case from the INS. The CP process is much more predictable -- you know where your case processing is at for every stage and have a cooperative relationship with the NVC & consulates (totally different from the INS).

Higher cost & travel time? SO WHAT. It's an immaterial issue when you're talking about going through something so life-changing as immigrating to another country.

Re: Re I485 vs. CP

Originally posted by GCDreamer2000
Most people opt for CP because they want to get the process over with as quickly as possible, even if the CP advantage over AOS is now down to a matter of months (instead of over a year or more as before).

Actually, it remains to be seen if this can be kept up. I really doubt the I-485 will go any faster if everybody co-files. I would imagine that the INS service centers are now being flooded with I-485's from existing I-140 petitions. I-485's are currently being processed quicker because H1B petitions are down more than 50%. If the IT sector starts hiring again, all bets are off and we could be looking at 2 year AOS again.

The one advantage of the new AOS rule is you qualify much earlier for EAD. One thing that many don't mention is that you can only co-file if your visa PD is current. At the moment, this is not an issue with EB cases but has been in the past and may be so in the future.

My own advice is to get this process over with as soon as possible.

Brian

POE Inspector did not ask for extra pics.

I completed my interview at Montreal and then POE formalities at Toronto Pearson Intl. yesterday (medical/interview/POE details to be described in this space soon). I submitted 2 photographs to the officer who checked my documents. I was asked to sign lengthwise on one of them. The other was attached to my IV document which I handed over to the POE inspector. However, the inspector did not ask for any extra photographs. Some POE inspectors have asked for extra photographs, as I gather from this forum.

The natural question in my mind is, "Does the INS have enough pictures for my plastic card?"

Thanks, and what a relief.

- Pulitu

Successful CP at Montreal on August 19th, 02

Dear Mtl Cpers,
I am glad to post that my CP interview at Montreal was successful, and I POEd at Toronto Pearson International Airport yesterday, the 21st August.

Thanks to Mr. Rajiv Khanna and immigration portal.com for this board. Thanks specifically to Brian "leroythelion", Najib (Congratulations to you too!!), gcdrone, marta, gcdreamer2000 and all others who have answered all questions.

Here are the details:
PK3-STL: Packet 3 to St. Louis. : April 26,02
NVC-REV: NVC Review complete : June 12, 02
PK4-YOU: Packet 4 received by you : July 3rd week
INT-MTL: Interview date : August 19th, 02
POE DATE: Date of entry : August 21st, 02

Photographs:
Sears photo studio 1 passport (Sears gives you a pair of photographs) for medicals, and 2 immigration style for interview. This is what the P4 documents said.

Travel
US to Toronto : flight
Toronto to Montreal : via Rail
Stay in Montreal : Days Inn $130 CD with AAA membership

Medicals
Completed in Toronto on Wednesday, August 14th, 02. The nicest, friendliest and professional people. Make sure that you tell the cab driver to take you to 145 Front Street EAST, and do not get down until you see the building number. The cab driver let us off on the west side and we must have walked for 30 minutes trying to make it on time. Even though we reached at 7.30 AM (timings are from 7.00-8.30 AM), we got done by 9.30 AM. This includes the immunizations (I got Tetanus and MMR for $15 Canadian). The staff are so nice that when I came back in the evening to collect the reports, and complained of pain in my left arm (Tetanus), she gave me free Ibuprofen. Very good experience overall. They really eased the tension.

Pre-Interview
Paid $7.00 from Via Rail to Days Inn. Stayed in the Days Inn. They have a restaurant attached. Reached Montreal on the 17th by Via Rail from Toronto. Walked to the Consulate - you can go on Rene-Leveskue (spelling?) and it takes about 15 minutes, and made sure that we knew where it was for next day. Ate lunch on St. Denise…lots of restaurants very international. Ate dinner at the Baton Rouge on St. Catherine. St. Catherine is a fun street-lots of restaurants where you can sit outside and eat…reminded me of San Diego and the gas lamp district! Good way to relieve the pressure.

Interview
Reached at 8.00 AM by taxi. Paid $7.00 approx. Najib must have been the one standing outside reading something :))! Sorry that I did not recognize you. I should have posted that I was going to be there with my wife and daughter. The security asked if we have an appointment, and I said yes. They looked at the appointment letter and asked us to come through security. Allowed food and drink for our daughter, but said that we should not be eating there. Went downstairs and then went upstairs to the consulate by elevator. There were about 10-12 people in front of us…my number was C9. Then we sat in front of the board…this is when we become anxious because everytime the board beeps, you look up. In about 50 minutes, we were called to booth number 5 to verify documentation. In the 10 Kg folder that I had with documents and everything, they only asked for a current employment letter. They already had all originals there (BC, MC, PCC etc.,), as well as my original I-140 submission. The nice lady basically checked off all the documentation on the list and asked me what I did and where I worked and stuff. Talked to our daughter and was very friendly. Then asked us to go back and that we would be called for our interview.

In about 30 minutes, our number was called and we went to the interview room after knocking and the consular officer, a very nice lady, was sitting there looking at our materials. Took the oath ,and then she asked me where I worked and what I did, and browsed through my I-140 application, and asked me a question about my work..basically browsing through the package. She asked what my wife did…who replied that she finished her studies as well and was waiting for the permanent residency before starting work. She then said that our immigrant visas were approved and asked us to go and pay the fees. Paid the fees, and in about 20 minutes we were called and handed the packages with our visas stapled on the top.

Post-Interview
Came back to Toronto by Via Rail, and on 21st our port of entry was the Pearson Intl. Airport. Handed the material to the officer, and she gave back the boarding pass and passport of our U.S. citizen daughter, and then took us inside and asked us to wait. After about 30 minutes, a very nice officer came and fingerprinted us, made us sign across the photographs and we were done. Stamped our passports and he said that cards should arrive in about 8 months, and that if the I-551 stamp expires, we can get another stamp before it does (I am assuming this is done at the local INS office??). we may move from our current apartment before that to another one, so he said that if we moved, fill out a change of address form (I-9??) and send it to the service center.

All done!!
I will be checking the board almost everyday…..as I have to give back what others have given to us. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks again to the group.
Best regards,

pkv2

Congrats pkv2

Congratulations on success.

I am bothering everyone here & I hope no one will mind.

Please see my post, few posts above, and please try to give your suggestions & reply.
Specially about PCC & BC.
I don't have BC(affidavits would be fine from our parents)
I am permanent resident of Canada. Do I need PCC from all the countries we lived after age 16. If yes How a Pakistani can get it(if you know by chance)
I will appreciate your reply.

BTW what was your 140 AD and service center.
TK.

pkv2

Congratulations. I'm glad it went well. I see there were a lot of you guys in August. Hopefully, your card will come sooner than 8 months.

Brian

Great Job pkv2:

Everytime I read a new success story I'm reassured of my chances. A couple of questions:
Did U do AC=I140, if not why were they reviewing your 140 papers, just curious. I have a major concern about my AC-I140.

Also you mentioned about your US citizen daughter, does your daughter have some sort of Canadian Status, reason I ask is...I am a landed immigrant and have two US born children that do not have a Canadian Status, I am concerned if taking them along for interview will cause any complications at Canadian POE.

Thanx and Congratulations.

thokoo:

If you are in the US or Canada, call the nearest Pakistan Consulate, they will issue you a Birth Certificate based on your Pakistan Passport, NIC or Matriculation Certificate, cost is $10.

RCMP has a web site with detailed listing about PCC

You need PCC from every country that You have lived in for more than 6 months after you turned 16, including Pakistan(this is new addition)

CP is far better than I-485, my opinion.

Does thokoo really means, what I think it means? LOL

Re: Successful CP at Montreal on August 19th, 02

Congrats, pkv2

Your card should come much sooner than 8 months -- 1 month is more typical recently. The "After the Green Card" and "The Physical Green Card" forums on this site are good sources of recent information. If you don't receive the card in time, you can get your passport re-stamped at your local INS office.

If your address changes, the most important way to ensure you receive you card at the new address is to send in the change of address information to the post office. The envelope DOES NOT have anything on it about "Do Not Forward" nor is it obvious from the outside that it is from the INS. It will be forwarded.

For the INS, you need to notify the both the service center and the HQ of your address change.

The service center notification is only necessary when you have something being processed by them (your card, in this case). Call the service center for instructions, or you can send them p. 2 of the appropriate G-731 form for your service center:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-731.htm

The INS HQ need to be notified within 10 days after each time you move, so long as you still a non-citizen. Go to the INS site for form AR-11:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/ar-11.htm

Originally posted by pkv2
Dear Mtl Cpers,
Post-Interview
Came back to Toronto by Via Rail, and on 21st our port of entry was the Pearson Intl. Airport. Handed the material to the officer, and she gave back the boarding pass and passport of our U.S. citizen daughter, and then took us inside and asked us to wait. After about 30 minutes, a very nice officer came and fingerprinted us, made us sign across the photographs and we were done. Stamped our passports and he said that cards should arrive in about 8 months, and that if the I-551 stamp expires, we can get another stamp before it does (I am assuming this is done at the local INS office??). we may move from our current apartment before that to another one, so he said that if we moved, fill out a change of address form (I-9??) and send it to the service center.

pkv2

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Successful CP at Montreal on August 19th, 02

Hi, pkv2, congrats. Really nice to hear all those successful stories.
You mentioned Consulate asked for the employment letter. Wondering if you included one in your pk3. I am trying to figure out how long a notarized employment letter can be valid. Under what conditions they will ask for a new one if one submitted in pk3. Does your Pk4 specifically ask for it?

My lawyer handled everything and I remember she asked our Company to provide an employment letter but I don't know if that is included in pk3 return. I don't know if I need to go all the trouble(with big bureaucratic company) to get a new one.

Additionally, MMR and Td costs only $18cnd in toronto, what a saving compared to $62cnd in Montreal as mentioned in another post.

Thanks.

Jiang

All done!!
I will be checking the board almost everyday…..as I have to give back what others have given to us. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks again to the group.
Best regards,

pkv2 [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello-new member

Hello All,
i am a new member and am glad to hear about this site.
I am a Canadian citizen and am originally from Pakistan.
i would like to find out how to obtain police clearance certificates from Pakistan.
I am already processing my RCMP police clearance certificates.

thanks and glad to be here,
ptr122

answers-my opinion

Dear all,
specificallly replying to the questions directed to me.

Thokoo:
BC: if you can't get BC from concerned municipal authority, you need to get an affidavit. i think there is an example on immihelp.com. Please see that website.

My I-140 was through the Nebraska Service Center.

PCC: i am not sure where you would get a PCC for Pakistan. a very good idea would be to call NVC and ask them what to do. I know for the Indian PCC, the Indian Consulate in the US gives the PCC for people who are already here.

Approval date for I-140
Filing date: May, 2001!!!
Approval date: August first week, 2001.
I did not file for CP for 8 months after approval as my family was out of town and i was getting my documents together.

Jiang:
Employment letter:
I included a notarized employment letter in my Packet 3, this was because i was sending an I-134 for my wife. Eitherways, it is a good idea to include it. I sent my P3-St.Louis on April 26,02. I took a letter one or two days before that day and sent it. Also, I took one on July 29th, 02 for my interview on August 19th (again, notarized). this was because i was leaving in the second week of august to Toronto. Its a good idea to have it as latest as possible. In all the documents that I took, the first document that they asked me for was the "current employment letter". therefore, i would recommend that you take it with you.
Immunizations:
the cost is $15 CD per immunization in Toronto.

Former J1:
I think everyone has (my opinion, standard disclaimer!) their I-140 packages there. Mine was a E1-priority worker category, as i work on agricultural research...with a documents about my work, research papers, etc., etc with no LC required. My case was not AC 140. the Consular Officer had my I-140 package open and asked me a question about a word that was in one of the letterheads that i had to include in my package. Is that why they had the I-140...i don't know.

One more question to the group...and it relates to your title " former J1".
the lady who checked the documents specifically asked me if i was ever on a J1 visa. Why did they ask me that...i don't know. is there anything specific that former J1's need to do? Please discuss this with others.

US Citizen daughter:
NO, no problems at Canadian POE for my daughter. My daugter does not have any Canadian status.

GCDreamer2000:
Thanks very much for your message and links after GC approval.

Please let me know if i have missed answering anything.
With best regards. Have a good day.

pkv2

Re: answers-my opinion

Originally posted by pkv2
Dear all,
specificallly replying to the questions directed to me.

One more question to the group...and it relates to your title " former J1".
the lady who checked the documents specifically asked me if i was ever on a J1 visa. Why did they ask me that...i don't know. is there anything specific that former J1's need to do? Please discuss this with others.

US Citizen daughter:
NO, no problems at Canadian POE for my daughter. My daugter does not have any Canadian status.

pkv2

To followup:

Your daughter has a visitor's status in Canada. US Citizens only have to show ID to enter Canada.

Personally, I never liked the J1 because of the foreign residency requirement. What this means, pkv2, is that a J1 is here on a foreign exchange program with the expectation that the person will return to their home country. Essentially, the J1 is co-sponsored by their home government. It is meant to be a means by which a country can send one of their citizens to the US temporarly for training. At the end of their training, they are supposed to go home. Unfortunately, many people use the J1 as a means of obtaining legal status in the US and then switch to H1B. The State Department, as a courtesy to that home country, will not issue a visa number to a J1 foreign national who has not left the United States as promised. They will overlook this if the person can obtain a waiver from their home government. I think there are other exceptions to the rules, but I am not very familiar with them. The bottom line is that not fulfilling the foreign residency requirement is a grounds for denial and is one of the items listed in DS230 part II that you don't want to check "yes".

Brian

PCC from Pakistan

ptr122:

Your best bet is to ask some friend or family in Pakistan to help you get one. Send them some basic information(name, DOB, last address in Pk, when and where you lived there)with two photos, copy of Pk passport and National ID card. They can contact the local PD or SP office and get a PCC in a couple of days. I got mine from Karachi in one day and my wife's from Lahore in three days.

Re: Re: answers-my opinion

Not any ID -- you need proof of U.S. citizenship, like a passport, birth certificate, cert. of naturalization, etc. to enter as a U.S. citizen visitor to Canada. Driver's licenses or voter's registration cards are NOT acceptable forms of ID.

Originally posted by leroythelion

Your daughter has a visitor's status in Canada. US Citizens only have to show ID to enter Canada.

Brian

Re: Re: Re: answers-my opinion

Originally posted by GCDreamer2000
Not any ID -- you need proof of U.S. citizenship, like a passport, birth certificate, cert. of naturalization, etc. to enter as a U.S. citizen visitor to Canada. Driver's licenses or voter's registration cards are NOT acceptable forms of ID.

Stating the obvious today, aren't we? ;)

pkv2

pkv2:

Thanks for your reply. Any one who has been on a J1 visa has to provide documentation to verify that the two year home residence requirement has been fulfilled, or it has been waived by the INS, I am OK with this. Thanx .

Re: Re: Re: Re: answers-my opinion

SO? Not everything that's obvious to you is obvious to others.

I've heard of too many idiots who try to enter Canada with their Sam's Club card and then get angry because they get into problems. Duh!

Originally posted by leroythelion

Stating the obvious today, aren't we? ;)