Misdemeanor charge - Applying N-400.

greenhorns

Registered Users (C)
Hi freinds ,

I regretfully have a "disorderly conduct" , class B misdemeanor back in 2004 and i pleaded guilty and was let go with a $325 fine and D&A class/anger mgmt. class.
No sentencing,no jail time..But i was arrested the night of the incident.End result : Pleaded guilty,negotiated. Had to attend 1 30 day anger mgmt and DUI class and provide the court a certificate of completion.
I'm eligible to apply for my C'ship soon. My question is specific to section 10 (i answered Yes to 16,17) of N-400 form. What do i check 'yes', what do i check 'NO'.?
I'm confused since i already got a green card [having to go thru same Q & A's]..if USCIS would give me a hard time, this time around [logic says 'NO'] ?

fyi- I have been trouble free ever since that incident and i'm still a model citizen.I guess, People make stupid mistakes sometimes . I still regret that incident.

Any inputs on this thread are much appreciated, way in advance.

Hope you all realize your American Dreams :)
:D

Hi freinds ,

I regretfully have a "disorderly conduct" , class B misdemeanor back in 2004 and i pleaded guilty and was let go with a $325 fine and D&A class/anger mgmt. class.
No sentencing,no jail time..But i was arrested the night of the incident.End result : Pleaded guilty,negotiated. Had to attend 1 30 day anger mgmt and DUI class and provide the court a certificate of completion.
I'm eligible to apply for my C'ship soon. My question is specific to section 10 (i answered Yes to 16,17) of N-400 form. What do i check 'yes', what do i check 'NO'.?
I'm confused since i already got a green card [having to go thru same Q & A's]..if USCIS would give me a hard time, this time around [logic says 'NO'] ?

fyi- I have been trouble free ever since that incident and i'm still a model citizen.I guess, People make stupid mistakes sometimes . I still regret that incident.

The truth shall make you free and YOU SHOULD CHECK YES on that answer. Do you have all court documentation proving that you paid the fine and completed the anger management class? Do you have a court disposition indicating that you have paid your debt to society? USCIS doesn't deal with issues of logic, the deal with truth...truth...truth....:rolleyes:

What do mean by this statement below?
"I'm confused since i already got a green card [having to go thru same Q & A's]..if USCIS would give me a hard time, this time around [logic says 'NO'] ? " USCIS will conduct a thorough background check, and the FBI might pick-up your name in their national database which is linked with court system throughout the US, which will then be provided to USCIS. However, since logic tells you to check NO, USCIS will have questions regarding why your name appears in the FBI name check, whereas you check "NO":eek: It will be at that time I wouldn't want to be present with you at the interview...:p

Hi freinds ,

In my opinion since the mistake was done in 2004, you should wait until 5 years are passed and apply after few months. So you dont have to worry about it, the D/O will not give you any hard time.
Even though the conduct is not serious, but waiting few more months can make you more confident.

I am not a Lawyer.

thanks for your feedback.. Al and Sirus..

yes, i have all the necessary documents and i have checked Yes [since my GC application probably said yes.]

Since the case happened in '04, it has been 5 yrs. couple of months ago . I guess i'm good to apply.

Consult a lawyer

In addition to what other said - please consult a lawyer initially to sort it out

yes, i have all the necessary documents and i have checked Yes [since my GC application probably said yes.]

Since the case happened in '04, it has been 5 yrs. couple of months ago . I guess i'm good to apply.

I dont think he needs a lawyer, I dont like when ppl here suggest to get lawyers as soon as they see something different than normal. This is not a big deal it has passed 5 years, you just need to check YES and have all CERTIFIED documents sent with ur N-400 and get an extra certified copy to take with you to the interview.....end of the story.

Greenhorns,

If you have all the paperwork, this process is going to be a piece of cake for you. Check YES, send copies of all court documentation regarding this incident with your N400 application. Once you are scheduled for interview, take additional copy plus the original. 5 years has passes since this incident and I am certain your have cleared the moral standard set forth by USCIS. :cool:

No drinking and driving ever for you dude, no speeding also because USCIS will look at those offenses if their fines exceed $500 for the duration of your application till you are sworn-in as the next USC. So, be on your best behavior and I wish you all the luck the world can offer...:D

Make sure you have certified court documents, otherwise, that's not a problem. I went through same thing. Oath next week Wednesday.

Did you write a letter aside from you record arrest and disposition? I'm ready to apply for my citizenship but I want to make sure I send all complete documents. Would really appreciate all you input thanks!

In my opinion since the mistake was done in 2004, you should wait until 5 years are passed and apply after few months. So you dont have to worry about it, the D/O will not give you any hard time.
Even though the conduct is not serious, but waiting few more months can make you more confident.

I am not a Lawyer.

Do i need to write a letter together with my arrest record and disposition (dismissed) . An explanation of what happened and th reason why I did it? Although it says in my report I plead "not guilty" and it was dismissed. Please help appreciate any input. I'm ready to send my n400. The letter is just holding me back