Minor came on SB1 visa, Green card was taken at port-of-entry

wantmygcnow,
Thanks for the explanation and I think I don't have to go to InfoPass now. His GC would come in a month or so.

I think you should still take an INFOPASS. It is not completely clear what exactly happened and you won't know for sure until you talk to USCIS.
As I remember, when someone enters the U.S. on an immigrant visa, that person has to complete some form, including the current address. The green card is then mailed to that address.
See http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/entering_iv.html
"The Department of Homeland Security will mail the card to you at the address of final destination you give at the time of your admission to the U.S. as an immigrant."

You don't know if you son completed such form and if he did not, the paperwork needed for his new card may not be complete.
You need to be proactive here, IMO.

I think you should still take an INFOPASS. It is not completely clear what exactly happened and you won't know for sure until you talk to USCIS.
As I remember, when someone enters the U.S. on an immigrant visa, that person has to complete some form, including the current address. The green card is then mailed to that address.
See http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/entering_iv.html
"The Department of Homeland Security will mail the card to you at the address of final destination you give at the time of your admission to the U.S. as an immigrant."

You don't know if you son completed such form and if he did not, the paperwork needed for his new card may not be complete.
You need to be proactive here, IMO.

When SB1 visa is issued at a Consulate, he filed a ds-230 part 1 & 2 which asks for where to send the GC etc so I don't think he needs to go to do that since it was already done at the Consulate.

BTW: Consulate also handed over a sealed envelope asking my son to give it to immigration officer at port-of-entry and the immigration officer took the sealed envelope. May be that envelope has the required paper work. I still want to go for InfoPass and make sure everything is ok, it may take an hour to do this, thats ok.

BTW: Consulate also handed over a sealed envelope asking my son to give it to immigration officer at port-of-entry and the immigration officer took the sealed envelope. May be that envelope has the required paper work. I still want to go for InfoPass and make sure everything is ok, it may take an hour to do this, thats ok.

Right..that envelope has everything like the ds-230 and all the paperwork you filled. i would suggest you wait 30 days before an infopass...you are just wasting your time in my opinion. You should get a welcome letter 3 weeks from the entry of your son and a gC 2 weeks after that.

Info:
I went for an InfoPass with my son and found out that the SB1 stamp and other stamps at port of entry are not considered as LPR stamp. I have to apply for replacement Greencard in the Lost/Stolen category using form I-90. After 5 working days of sending the application, take another InfoPass to get the Greencard stamp on the passport. Today I got the LPR stamp on my son's passport valid for 1 year.

Info:
I went for an InfoPass with my son and found out that the SB1 stamp and other stamps at port of entry are not considered as LPR stamp. I have to apply for replacement Greencard in the Lost/Stolen category using form I-90. After 5 working days of sending the application, take another InfoPass to get the Greencard stamp on the passport. Today I got the LPR stamp on my son's passport valid for 1 year.
So they only stamped passport after you showed proof you applied for replacement eventhough CBP were the ones who took it away in the first place?

Info:
I went for an InfoPass with my son and found out that the SB1 stamp and other stamps at port of entry are not considered as LPR stamp.

The wording was different. Your son's passport said "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year", but actual I-551 stamps say "Processed for I-551..."

Perhaps the "endorsement" they referred to is a "Processed for I-551" stamp, which he didn't get.

A weird story...
rchigurupati, glad to hear you finally got your kid's passport stamped with a proper LPR stamp. Wish you and your son to get your US passports soon.

Bobsmyth: The answer to your question is Yes.
Jackolantern: You may be right, I haven't looked at the stamps carefully to read the wordings.
Thanks to all for your contributions. This is a great forum helps so many answering their questions.
My USC has almost come to an end and will keep contributing to this forum from my experiences.

Hi All, I have gone through forum and I have received lot of information, But still I have questions:
Hi All, I am facing difficult situation .My Daughter is a Green Card Holder.And she is only 12 year minor. My Daughter went to India 3 years ago for education, because my health was not good. When she went to India we applied for Re-Entry document( travel Document ). When she wanted to come to USA on 06/30/2010, They stopped her for expired travel document. And re-entry expired on 02/25/2010. I had surgery on 01/09/2010. Doctor's suggested me avoid to stay with kids, that is the reason I did not bring her back. and also I was going through the lot medical checkups. Now it's already expired almost over 125 days ago.. Please any suggestions to get the travel document renew or apply for new travel document in India or any other way to get her here ( USA ) as soon as possible with her existing green cards status. Because I want put her in school here in USA. I am supposed to apply for citizen ship. I am waiting for her to come here. Your feed back and suggestions appreciated.
I am not a US citizen, I am a permanent resident since 2005 March, My daughter is permanent resident since June 2005 , I am eligible to apply for citizen ship. I am waiting for my daughter to come here and apply citizen ship for all. My Wife and Me staying in US.
When I go through the online documentation for SB1 visa. I saw lot of information needs to fill up and sign the forms DS 117 and DS 230.
1. My Daughter is minor, So we ( both parents ) are here in USA.
2. Is it ok to fill up the forms and sign by my brother or my wife's brother.
3. Should I fill up and send the documents to India by fed ex.
4. Or do you suggest to go through the attorney.
5. Is this process fast to bring my daughter back to USA before the start of the schools for this academic year ( Last Week of August 2010 ) .
6. Right now my daughter is in Hyderabad, India. Where should I file the form DS-230 Part I and DS-230 part II.
7. Do I need to submit the DS-117 also.
8. I can get my health reports saying that I was on dialysis for almost 29 months before my surgery, And I can get the hospital documents that I had kidney transplantation in Jan'2010. And I also I can proof that My father was in hospital for almost 30 days in intensive care in Mar' 2010 in India.
Please advise me.
I will appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, I have gone through forum and I have received lot of information, But still I have questions:
Hi All, I am facing difficult situation .My Daughter is a Green Card Holder.And she is only 12 year minor. My Daughter went to India 3 years ago for education, because my health was not good. When she went to India we applied for Re-Entry document( travel Document ). When she wanted to come to USA on 06/30/2010, They stopped her for expired travel document. And re-entry expired on 02/25/2010. I had surgery on 01/09/2010. Doctor's suggested me avoid to stay with kids, that is the reason I did not bring her back. and also I was going through the lot medical checkups. Now it's already expired almost over 125 days ago.. Please any suggestions to get the travel document renew or apply for new travel document in India or any other way to get her here ( USA ) as soon as possible with her existing green cards status. Because I want put her in school here in USA. I am supposed to apply for citizen ship. I am waiting for her to come here. Your feed back and suggestions appreciated.
I am not a US citizen, I am a permanent resident since 2005 March, My daughter is permanent resident since June 2005 , I am eligible to apply for citizen ship. I am waiting for my daughter to come here and apply citizen ship for all. My Wife and Me staying in US.
When I go through the online documentation for SB1 visa. I saw lot of information needs to fill up and sign the forms DS 117 and DS 230.
5. Is this process fast to bring my daughter back to USA before the start of the schools for this academic year ( Last Week of August 2010 ) .
6. Right now my daughter is in Hyderabad, India. Where should I file the form DS-230 Part I and DS-230 part II.
8. I can get my health reports saying that I was on dialysis for almost 29 months before my surgery, And I can get the hospital documents that I had kidney transplantation in Jan'2010. And I also I can proof that My father was in hospital for almost 30 days in intensive care in Mar' 2010 in India.
Please advise me.

I think you should apply for your citizenship. Once you become citizen, your daughter would automatically
become citizen...
Second, I don't know the specifics of India, but if your daughter has greencard and expired travel document,
she should be able to go the US embassy and get a some sort of travel paperwork from them. If you hold
greencard, and you lose or travel document expires, Embassies issue travel document that is good for returning
so before everything else your daughter should go to the embassy see what they can do...I think that is best
choice.........good luck......

Not if his daughter is outside the US or lost her permanent resident status.
Did you read the guy's post....he is waiting for her to come so that they can apply citizenship together...and
I am suggesting that he applies himsilf so that she can derive citizenship...

Nobody is talking about her losing her greencard, or her not coming back to America...remember, she has
been permenant resident for the last 5 or so years...so I believe if her father becomes citizen and she comes
here she should be able to derive authomatic citizenship...

Hi All, Thanks for your help to get my daughter here.
My first concern is bring her back here as soon as possible. What I should I do to bring it here and how long is going to take for SB1 visa and what they going to ask questions. Are they going to ask question my daughter or somebody who is going to go with her to US embassy.
Because this forum started saying the person who started this forum , he said his son ( minor ) came on SB1 visa.. Where did he get the visa, What is the procedure to get that and where should we apply for that..
Even please if anybody knows how to apply and where to apply that will be great suggestion... I really thank to jack Fasal and others. Please keep helping me.. Thx

Did you read the guy's post....he is waiting for her to come so that they can apply citizenship together...and
I am suggesting that he applies himsilf so that she can derive citizenship...
Did you read sbokka2001's post? He is asking how to bring his daughter to the U.S., not what happens after.
For sbokka2001 naturalization is certainly a good idea, but it does not solve the immediate problem of bringing his daughter back to the U.S.
The only realistic option is to get an SB-1 visa, which will still be necessary even if sbokka2001 naturalizes.

Hi All, Thanks for your help to get my daughter here.
My first concern is bring her back here as soon as possible. What I should I do to bring it here and how long is going to take for SB1 visa and what they going to ask questions. Are they going to ask question my daughter or somebody who is going to go with her to US embassy.
Because this forum started saying the person who started this forum , he said his son ( minor ) came on SB1 visa.. Where did he get the visa, What is the procedure to get that and where should we apply for that..
Even please if anybody knows how to apply and where to apply that will be great suggestion... I really thank to jack Fasal and others. Please keep helping me.. Thx

There is only one person in this thread (rchigurupati) who has had direct experience with SB-1 visa, and he seems not to follow this forum for the moment.
In general, SB-1 visa is something rather rarely discussed here, so I doubt you'll get answers here to the kind of specific questions you are asking.
You need to get in touch with the U.S. consulate in Chennai and ask them these questions.
The consulate does have a web-page with instructions for an SB-1 visa application:
http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/immigrantstous/for-returning-legal-permanent-residents.html
and
http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/immigrantstous/documents-required-for-your-visa.html#DARRV
On the first of these pages they give an e-mail for scheduling an SB-1 visa appointment: ChennaiIVU@state.gov
You may try using this e-mail to ask your questions first.

Here are a couple of other pages with general info about SB-1 visa:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/returning-resident-visa.html

You could also try contacting the State Department here in the U.S. and ask them some of your specific questions, see the contact info at:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/about/how/how_1463.html

Also, you might try sending rchigurupati a private message and/or an e-mail. To do that, find any of his posts and left-click on his username there; this will produce a drop-down menu with options for sending a PM and an e-mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please advise me.

You will need to submit DS-117. Contact the consulate with a short, to-the-point email regarding questions 2 and 6. An attorney should not be necessary.

The answer to 2 will tell you if you need to fill it out yourself and send it to India.

For #5, the poster who started this thread applied in April and his son was back in the US in late May (not sure when the visa was issued). No guarantee yours will take the same time, but it is one example of how much time it takes.

Thank you Jack and All. I will send an email to HYD US embassy and Chennai Embassy. Will see what they are going to reply.. I will keep posting once I get the reply back from them. Thanks once again.. If any suggestions, please keep posting...

Hi All, The first step application ( Returning Resident Visa ) DS-117 is approved today for My daughter in India. I just to want let you know, And thanks for your help. I will keep posting the updates.

Sorry guys, I was not following the forum for a while and I couldn't answer your questions on time.
I was asked at Hyd US consulate to contact Chennai consulate for SB1 visa.
I have taken an appointment using email address: ChennaiIVU@state.gov
Then they issued a specific date and time for interview. It took about 7-10 days.
To issue the SB1 visa; Chennai consulate officials asked my son to go through the medical test in Hyd. This took about 23 days.
After sending the medical test results to Chennai consulate; they took about 10 days to send the SB1 visa to Hyd.
My son traveled with the SB1 visa stamp on India passport to US
At port of entry; his Greencard was taken by the immigration officer and an entry stamp to US.
I have taken a InfoPass appointment with local USCIS office and applied for replacement Greencard. (I-90). Then the officer at local USCIS office stamped my son's passport with temporary Greencard stamp.
while his I-90 was pending; I've become naturalized USC and my son was eligible for USC.
Went to US Passport office and applied for my son US passport along with mine at Regional passport office (they issue the passport on the same day, in-person)
I have shown my son's temp passport stamp on India passport.
My son did not received his US passport because the pending I-90 should be approved. But they did not deny the US passport application. Instead they issued a letter saying the application was processed and ready to issue the US passport at any US passport office or at any US consulate abroad by presenting approved I-90 & this letter.
So, that is my story until now.