Miami interview experience

goodyear07

Registered Users (C)
Nov 21st (tuesday): Here is my interview experience. I wanted to share while it is still fresh in my mind. Me and my wife arrived at Miami, FL INS district office around 7.00 am. We were in line. The parking in the building was $20.00 for whole day. After 15 minutes we were asked to show interview appointment letter + green card before the entrance into security check. The interview was in second floor. The desk man at frontdesk collected our interview letters and put them in a bin, asked us to take a seat (its a big hall). we waited for 45 minutes. Our appointment on the letter was 8.15 am. One by one is being called by Interview Officer into their individual offices. My turn came first. I left my wife and went for the interview. My interview lasted 30 minutes or so. All "yes" or "no" questions on good moral character, alligiance (these are last page parts of N400 application forms). These were like 20 questions or so.

IO asked me how did I supported family for 6 months in 2001 without a job. I replied " with severence pay from previous company and state unemployment benifits I was able to support my family".

Why I moved to florida (I said its because of job and sunny florida)

He asked me about any violation of law citations etc. I replied yes because of speeding ticket citation. He asked me if it was DUI or related. I said no. I was carrying my court disposition (reciept of fine payment). But he was not interested in seeing that paperwork. He just wrote on my application, about speeding ticket.

Asked me about two trips to india which were like 2 to 4 weeks in length.

Asked me to write "TODAY I GO TO THE STORE". Asked me to Print (capital letters not cursive) the sentence. I did that

Asked me easy 6 questions I got all correct. He had a list of 10 or so to ask. First 6 right, I wont be asked any further it seems.

Who is vice president (Dick Cheney)
What is the national Anthem (Star Spangled Banner)
How many senators (100 senators = 2 elected from each state)
What is consitution (supreme law of the land)
Can the consitution be changed (yes it can be changed)
why we celebrate the july 4th (independence day)

At the end of interview, he said he is approving my application. He "CAN NOT MAKE DECISION YET" at this time. I hope it is not the dreaded name check delay. He said there are couple of oath dates are coming up. He stamped the application "APPROVED". But it can take anywhere from 1 o 4 months to recieve oath letter. Did not give me N652 form. I asked should I wait for any form after the interview in the hall. (I meant N652 or oath form). He said no. I thanked him and left to the hallway where I left my wife.

In the meantime my wife had her turn, by the time I returned to the hallway. I waited for her. She had an issue with her name before marriage. THe issue was her first name was Venkata Madhavi, in the application we only put Madhavi (with maiden last name). But she was told she will be given oath at a court room (in a small session). She passed the test. But the mess was about the missing part of the firstname, according to the birth affidavit. At the end her application was stamped "APPROVED" and given N652 form indicating the test is completed successfully.

Hopefully things dont drag for us. If they do, we have to resort to lawsuits (we made up our minds... ).

I wanted to share this exprerience with fellow applicants. Hope yours will be much smoother and easier. Good luck all.

Can someone who experience interview tell what "CAN NOT MAKE DECISION YET" with "APPROVED" stamp on application means?

USCIS Center: Texas Service Center
DO: Miami, Florida
N400 receipt by TSC - July/10/06
FP - July/28/06 (day 22)
Online status changed - Sept/10/06 (day 66)
Inverview Notice - Sept/15/06 (day 71)
Inverview Date - Nov/21/06 (day 128)
Oath Date - ??/??/?? (day ???)
Passport App - ??/??/?? (day ???)
Passport Received - ??/??/?? (day ???)

Please Share your thought

Why are you calling your wife’s first name issue a mess? Did they grill her with lot of questions? What is birth affidavit? My wife is planning a name change, is that a big issue? So, it looks like they would not give you the oath letter even if you pass the interview. Why they gave your wife N -652 and gave you nothing??

I am afraid it means that your namecheck did not come back yet. I had the same exact sequence of events 9 months ago in downtown Miami. Officer told me that I should get my oath ceremony invitation in 3-4 months after the interview.

The only difference that I also received my N652 with "decision can not be made" checkbox marked.

Hope everything works out fine with you and your wife.
Regards.

I'm surprised you weren't given an N-652 - smells rotten to me, almost as if they were avoiding handing over the one critical piece of evidence you'll need if you have to file a lawsuit.

Good luck - I hope your namecheck clears quickly.

Interesting

I never heard some thing this before where they never gave any letter at the end of interview. Another thing as far as I remember USCIS stopped calling for interview till all security checks are not complete they have memo that got sent out to all offices.

If you got called for interview I believe all security checks are complete.
Are you sure you have negative factors in your N-400 ?

Some thing you forgot to mention or some thing like this?

wenlock: thanks for your reply.
No, I dont have anything negative factors (none except a speeding ticket which I mentioned in the application and interview), IO was only concerned about DUI cases. I completed everything fine.

What puzzles me is, Interviewing Office (IO) did not give me N652 form after the interview. But he told me he is recommending me for naturalization and "APPROVED" stamp on application, was told "A DECISION CAN NOT BE MADE", I will get a oath letter in mail 1 to 4 months, was mentioned that there are oaths in December 19 and 20th.

Usually after how long people in Miami get oath letters after the interview?

boatbod: thanks for your reply. I was not give N652 form after the interview. I asked the IO if I should wait in the hall for the form, he said no. He told me my case was approved and recommending for naturalization, and mentioned "A DECISION CAN NOT BE MADE" and I will get a ltter in mail for oath in 1 to 4 months. I am getting anxious whats in store for me regarding this last step.

Usually after how long do we get oath letters after the interview.

Is it after 120+ days we can file lawsuit for moving things for oath? I need to educate myself just in case I had to file suit (WOM).

edgrapes: thanks for your reply. I think I might end up just like your case. What bothered me most not getting N652 form indicating I attended the interview. I didnt even copy the original interview notification letter.

dadababu2000, I dont think your wife intended name change is going be any issue at all.

Like I said, my wife has two worded first name before marriage and maiden surname. At the marriage, her surname was changed to my surname and two-worded (Venkata Madhavi) was changed to one word firstname (Madhavi). She removed the first word in her firstname. Her first passport name was according to marriage certificate (as per after marriage). All documents incl green card has same name. Her birrth certificate was given as name: Nill (Her parents named right after her birth, this is normal in India). So for during GC we got her parents birth affidavits for her,as her birth certificate showed as Nill (stupid system, what a pain). I hope this clears what I was saying about my wife's name.

INterview officer asked my wife, aboout the missing part of her firstname (venkata is the missing part). USCIS interviewing officer had GC time birth affidavits, so they asked questions regarding that. My wife got N652 form fine. I did not get 652 form after the interview. My wife was told her oath will be at a court room session for some reason, she was told her application was APPROVED stamped and reccomended for naturalization.

We both were told we will get oath letters in mail in 1 to 4 months.
As far as my case, I was told "A DECISION CAN NOT BE MADE AT THIS TIME" blah blah.

this is what happened. Hope you guys will have smooth processing during interview. Good luck. Also post your dates and experience once you are done with your interview.

thanks

It did happened to my friend, but in West Palm Beach office.

He passed the exam, but the offecier found out thaat his I-751 was still pending.

they THINK by doing that they can avoid getting sued under the 1447b rule, what a crab.

My case in Miami as well, they are the worst in the Nation, espicially if you are not SPANISH.
You can see my full story here:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=223103&page=1

Don't worry, they can't deny the fact that you passed the interview, in case you resort to the Law Sue, hopfully not.

Regards,

Moody

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Interview in Miami on Nov 1, The IO was kind he went thru all the questions asked me six question. Write a sentence "You cook Very well". Told me congrats, you have passed the test. Since you have Name change you will have your oath at the Court house. And I did see him putting a stamp Approved and told me to wait for 2 to 3 weeks for the oath letter to come in.

He walk me to thru the Hallway to the elevator and wished me good luck.

Here were I am confused, I was not given any form N652 as you mentioned, and he did not say A DECISION CAN NOT BE MADE AT THIS TIME.

What does this all mean to me ????????

I know my friend who had a Interview at Miami office in April did not recieve oath letter for three months, he took a infopass in August and when he went there they told him their computer system is down. He again took a infopass in september and he recieved his oath letter in October(5 months).

Hearing all the stories in Maimi anything can happen. :D :D

All Miami folks,
I finally received my Interview letter today. Interestingly enough the I-797C notice was mailed exactly the same day as the FOIPA letter from the FBI. This gives some credibility to the theory that, in Miami, they are now only calling for interviews after the name check is done. Otherwise how would you explain the large discrepancy of the timing experienced by goodyear07 of this forum and mine?
PD Aug 7 06
FP notice Aug 23 06
Actual FP date Sep 9 06
IL Nov 24 06

Does anybody know how long the Oath ceremony takes if the name check is OK at the time of interview?

And, BTW I have a European, not Latino name.

A typical DO oath ceremony lasts 1-2 hours, depending how many people need to be processed. By far the longest time is spent checking people in and questioning them on the answers on the back of the N-445. Once that is done, the ceremony starts and its just a matter of taking the oath, watching a short video and reciting the pledge of alliegence. Last thing you do is collect your natz certificate as they call your name.

Hey guys, where should I send the FOIPA letter to in Miami ? I have been waiting for interview letter since fingerprint on September 23.

goodyear07, thanks for sharing your story. Hope you get the oathfor both of you very soon.

Edgrapes, I have been following to your case for a while. How has it been? I'm sorry that you have been waiting for so long. Hope hear your good news soon.

Hi Moody,
thanks for your reply. You had definitely gone thru very frustrating delays in application. Hopefully things will start moving along for you. Thanks for your reply.

Just yesterday I got my oath notification letter for Dec-19 at Miami Beach Convention Center at 12 noon. My wife hasnt. Like I posted in the earlier interview experience for my wife (first name related), she was told she has to go to a court place to get the oath. So we are waiting for her notification to show up in the mailbox.

I wish we both had ours in the same place. But whatever, its upto INS, I guess.

thanks again for your reply.

Miami_Beach_boy: thanks for your reply. Same story as mine, exception with mine is "a decision can not be made". I think they changed their mind :)
Yesterday in mail I got my oath letter. But my wife has not got her oath letter yet.

It was normal white paper N-452 form (not like the notification paper we used to get) prinited letter. I got the oath notification yesterday for Dec 19th 12pm.

I have to find this place. I heard parking is a bit hard to find from my colleague who did last year.

I hope by this time you might have got your oath letter too. I was told Dec19, and Dec20 (or may be just Dec19) for oath for naturalization.

We are still waiting for my wife oath letter.

Will keep you posted as I go along this journey. I will share all the information on this board.

thanks

neverthere: thanks for your posting. I got my oath letter scheduled for Nov-21 12pm at Miami Beach Convetion center. Hope your interview went thru smooth. My wife hasnt got her oath letter yet. Only I got it yesterday.

will keep you posted. Keep us posted your progress.

thanks

zozo, as you can in my signature, my FP was in july and interview was in nov. So it can take atleast that much time. My FP came right after the application in 15-20 days timeframe.

thanks for your reply. I will post all my progress so everyone else can have an idea/info.

thanks again,

My next step will be applying for passport. I am thinking to apply expedited by paying extra 60 bucks (so I can get the passport in 2 weeks). I am from india. planning to apply for OverSeas Citizen of India (OCI - like psuedo dual citizenship) after I get the passport.

Will keep you all posted my progress. I request everyone who read these post their progress/issues so everyone can share and learn.

thanks all for your time.

how to find out if FBI has cleared/reported the FP

I had my FP done on 11/21. How to find out if FBI cleared/reported it..Any number or website? Also, is there a point in taking an infopass?
My RD is Oct,2006.(Miami Center)
Thx
Andiron