Mexico Visa Required with Temporary I-551

Almost_Done

Registered Users (C)
FYI for everyone.

The Mexican consulate insited that a Mexican visitor visa is required even tough a passport has an endorsed U.S. immigrant visa with the words "Once endorsed, this serves as temporary I-551 for 1 year". Any one else with this experience? I thought countries recognize the temp I-551 as evidence of permanent residence for the U.S.

The consulate didn't even think the temp I-551 (person was admitted as a PR in the US) would allow a person back in the U.S. They're obviously mistaken but you would think they should know better...

Anyways, we go the Mexican visa but it think it was wasted money...

FYI for everyone.

The Mexican consulate insited that a Mexican visitor visa is required even tough a passport has an endorsed U.S. immigrant visa with the words "Once endorsed, this serves as temporary I-551 for 1 year". Any one else with this experience? I thought countries recognize the temp I-551 as evidence of permanent residence for the U.S.

The consulate didn't even think the temp I-551 (person was admitted as a PR in the US) would allow a person back in the U.S. They're obviously mistaken but you would think they should know better...

Anyways, we go the Mexican visa but it think it was wasted money...

http://www.consulmexny.org/eng/english.html
( click on Visa to go to Mexico) then left side click on Tourist visa then select your country of citizenship)
If you are Citizen of India then you will find below info:
As of December 1st, 2003,

Permanent Residents of the United States traveling to Mexico as Tourists

Do not need a visa to enter Mexico when departing from the United States. However, it will be required to present the following documents at the airport or port of entry into Mexico:

Valid passport (for at least 3 months)

USCIS Permanent Resident Alien Card (Green Card) valid for at least 3 months, or the USCIS stamp on the passport that establishes Permanent Residence in the United States until 3 months after date of travel)

US permanent residents traveling to Mexico from elsewhere but the US or Canada into Mexico may require a visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a visa

Oddly enough, the person at the consulate did not recognize the immigrant visa endorsed as proof of permmanent residency. She refered to the visa expiration date and said it won't work. In fact, I was told that once a person is admitted on an immigrant visa, and the passport is stamped the visa becomes a temp I-551. So either I was told wrong, or the lady at the consulate didn't know the rules.

Oddly enough, the person at the consulate did not recognize the immigrant visa endorsed as proof of permmanent residency.
-----you dont have immigrant visa as you filed I-485 in US. Immigrant visa is stamped when you go for CP processing and the US consulate stamp immigrant visa then you enter US and at POE you give your papers and the officer stamp the passport

She refered to the visa expiration date and said it won't work.

In fact, I was told that once a person is admitted on an immigrant visa, and the passport is stamped the visa becomes a temp I-551. So either I was told wrong, or the lady at the consulate didn't know the rules.
once you adjust status or I-485 gets approved then you get the temp I-551 from Local USCIS office and that is proof that you are permanent resident of US or green Card holder.

I don’t know in what context you are posting the above info