Maternity while on J1

anjali_sharma

Registered Users (C)
Greetings!!!!!
I am in USA on J1 since last 2 months. My husband is in India. He will come here on J2 next month. When I was in India then I got pregnant and now expecting a baby. My main problem is that sooner or later the owner of my training company will come to know about this.
Now if it would happen, then what would happen next? Would I be asked to leave USA and go back to India. What if the owner will think that I lied as I did not inform him about this before coming to USA on J1.
I have still 11 months of training time left.
Is there any law in USA regarding maternity on J1 which can help me as I do not want to travel back to India because it would be bad for me and baby.
I have checked lots or resources but have still found no answer.
Immigration masters please help!!!!!!!!!! and suggest me that what should I do?
Awaiting response.
Regards,
Anjali
E mail: mailtoanjalisharma@yahoo.com

Greetings!!!!!
I am in USA on J1 since last 2 months. My husband is in India. He will come here on J2 next month. When I was in India then I got pregnant and now expecting a baby. My main problem is that sooner or later the owner of my training company will come to know about this.
Now if it would happen, then what would happen next? Would I be asked to leave USA and go back to India. What if the owner will think that I lied as I did not inform him about this before coming to USA on J1.
I have still 11 months of training time left.
Is there any law in USA regarding maternity on J1 which can help me as I do not want to travel back to India because it would be bad for me and baby.
I have checked lots or resources but have still found no answer.
Immigration masters please help!!!!!!!!!! and suggest me that what should I do?
Awaiting response.
Regards,
Anjali
E mail: mailtoanjalisharma@yahoo.com

If you are on J visa you have all the rights regarding maternity leave like any one what ever her status. You have the right for paid vacation according to the roles of your place exactly like any other lady (three weeks in my place). It is not required to till the employee that you are pregnant or not, this is not his business and your confidentiality. It is not required to return back to India because of that. Good luck.

mmed, every company and every state have different maternity rules.

You need to ask your Human Resources Rep. Most of the time people who worked less than a year for the company are not eligible for Short Term paid Disability leave of 6 weeks (especially, if they are working as a contractor and not an employee) and sometimes they are not eligible for FMLA. You need to inquire at your company.

mmed, every company and every state have different maternity rules.

You need to ask your Human Resources Rep. Most of the time people who worked less than a year for the company are not eligible for Short Term paid Disability leave of 6 weeks (especially, if they are working as a contractor and not an employee) and sometimes they are not eligible for FMLA. You need to inquire at your company.

Yes, Every state and company has its own roles. The point is; these roles are applicable to all the people equally whatever their status, no difference between a J visa and citizen. To declare pregnancy or not, this is confidentialty any where in the US and no roles can force you to declare pregnancy or not.

The point is; these roles are applicable to all the people equally whatever their status, no difference between a J visa and citizen.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. After all, a US citizen can just stop working, and he won't lose any status. However, if J-1 stops working, most of the time he/she finds themselves out of status.