Maryland SESA Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
PERM Coming Soon According to DOL Regulatory Agenda

On June 28, 2004, the Department of Labor (DOL) published its Semiannual Regulatory Agenda in the Federal Register. This document presents the Department's semiannual agenda of regulations that were selected for review or development during the coming year. Several items were announced that reveal important immigration law changes in the near future. Below are the provisions in the report relating to immigration matters:

H-1B

The H-1B visa program allows employers to temporarily employ nonimmigrants admitted into the United States under the H-1B visa category in specialty occupations. The employer must file a labor condition application (LCA) with the DOL before USCIS may approve a petition to employ a foreign worker on an H-1B visa. The Department published a proposed rule on January 5, 1999, in response to statutory changes in the H-1B program made by the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998.

Changes made by the act place additional obligations on “H-1B-dependent” employers (those whose work forces were comprised of more than 15 percent H-1B workers) and on willful violators. These employers must recruit and hire US workers who are at least as qualified as H-1B workers, and not displace US workers by hiring H-1B workers or placing them at another employer's job site. Additionally, the 1998 amendments imposed additional obligations on all H-1B employers, such as offering similar benefits to H-1B workers as those offered to US workers, and payment to H-1B workers during periods they are not working for an employment-related reason.

On December 20, 2000, the Department published an interim final rule to implement the recent amendments and clarify the existing rules, and requested further public comment on those provisions.

H-2B

Under the redesigned H-2B temporary nonagricultural program employers seeking to import H-2B workers, (except for applications filed for employment on Guam or in logging), would file directly with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The employer will be required to conduct recruitment before filing its petition and DHS will administer the petition adjudication process. After adjudication, the Department of Labor (DOL) will audit selected approved petitions. In such audits, DOL will determine whether the employer has complied with those aspects of the approved petition related to the labor market and other related attestations.

Employers will be expected to have documentation supporting their attestations and will be required to provide this documentation to DOL within 30 days from the notice of audit. If, after completion of the audit, DOL determines that the employer has failed to comply with the terms of the attestations contained in the DHS petition or made material misrepresentations in its attestation, after notice to the employer and opportunity for a hearing, DOL will recommend to DHS that the employer be debarred for a period up to three years.

LCA

Currently, the DOL allows employers to file labor condition applications (LCA) electronically, by facsimile transmission (fax), and by mail. The Department has proposed eliminating the provision that allows employers to file LCAs by fax. Employers that could not file LCAs electronically due to physical impairments would be allowed to submit LCAs by mail. The Rulemaking would also inform employers of an impending change in address for the submission of LCA by mail. The Department believes the e-filing process will ensure faster processing of H-2B petitions and limit the number of potentially incomplete applications. In addition it will ease the filing burden on employers. Through e-filing, the Department will be better able to obtain statistics and analyze program data to identify areas that need improvement and any fraud or abuse.

Labor Certification

The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) is in the process of reengineering the permanent labor certification process in order to streamline the process, save resources, improve the effectiveness of the program and better serve DOL customers.

The labor certification process has been described as being complicated, costly and time consuming. ETA, therefore, is taking steps to improve the effectiveness of the requirements and application processing procedures, which would save resources both for the Government and employers, without diminishing protections now afforded U.S. workers by the current requirements.

On May 6, 2002, the Department published a notice of proposed rulemaking and requested further public comment on those provisions.

H-1B1

The DOL intends to amend the regulations for the temporary employment of foreign professionals in order to implement requirements for a new visa category: the H-1B1 visa. Congress created the new visa category as part of its approval of the Chile-United States Free Trade Agreement and the Singapore-United States Free Trade Agreement. Under the legislation and the Chile and Singapore agreements, the H-1B1 program would be similar to the existing H-1B program for temporary employment in specialty occupations. Employers in the United States seeking to temporarily employ foreign professionals in specialty occupations through H-1B1 visas must file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor making the same attestations regarding payment of prevailing wages, working conditions, absence of strikes or lockouts, and notice to other employees that employers currently make when seeking entry of a foreign worker under the H-1B program.

H-1C

The Nursing Relief for Disadvantaged Areas Act of 1999 amended the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to create a new temporary visa program for nonimmigrant aliens to work as registered nurses for up to three years in facilities serving health professional shortage areas, subject to certain conditions.

Centralized Processing of Labor Certifications: PERM vs. Backlog Reduction Center

As the DOL moves step by step from the local/regional processing system to national/centralized processing systems, the labor certification process will witness uniformity and consistency in processing time, application of standards, and adjudications. Accordingly the current variance of practice, processing times, standards and adjudication among the 50 states and six regions (10 practical regions including the subregions of New York, San Francisco, Denver, and Kansas City) will gradually disappear and influence of human factors and idiosyncrecies will also be drastically reduced. This drastic change will be more noticeable in the PERM program in that the electronic system will play a much bigger role in this system than Backlog Reduction Center system in that the PERM application will introduce certain machine readable features in the form and machine will read and determine the eligibility of the application to a greater extent leaving the tasks of human analysts and certifying officers to de minimus. In the Backlog Reduction Center, it is likely that the two centers, Philadelphia and Dallas, will take over the cases on file at the state offices and regional offices and complete the whole labor certification for each individual application from the start to the finish. Accordingly, unlike the PERM program, the analysts and leaders of the each Reduction Center will play a bigger role in processing and adjudication.
Supposedly, the Backlog Reduction Centers are mandated to process and adjudicate the backlog applications under the current rules and standards. As everyone knows, the labor certification offices in states and regions run de facto 50 different rules, standards, and practices under the current system, producing the winners and losers among the immigrants depending on the location of the jobs. These 50 practices and policies run on a wide spectrum from the most conservative offices to the most liberal states. Obviously the current winners and losers will be profoundly affected by the directions and policies of the Backlog Reduction Centers depending on how liberal or conservice each Center will be. This is indeed a big open question. Reduction of backlog does not necessarily imply that it will come with increased rate of approval depending on their policies and directions. The processing times will be definitely reduced, but it is an unknown territory when it comes to the rate of denials. One just pray that the rate at least stays with the current trend.
As we reported earlier, the two Backlog Reduction Centers will be mostly manned by the contractors and the DOL has already selected the contractor to run these two centers. The sources indicate that each of these two centers in Philadelphia and Dallas will have approximately 60 analysts with the total manpower of from 80 to 100 people. As the state offices gradually phase out of the permanent labor cerification process, some of the analysts at the current state labor certification offices and regional offices may be absorbed into either the PERM Centers (Chicago and Atlanta) or these two Backlog Reduction Centers as the employees of the private contractors. Along the way, the two Backlog Reduction Centers will develop their own uniqueness and different directions and policies just like those which we are witnessing among the Service Centers in the USCIS. But two are better than five or 50 different idiosyncrecies.
The centralized labor certification systems grant a monstrous power to the Chief of Forein Labor Certification Division or National Certifying Officer at the DOL HQ. The nature of future directions and idiosyncrecies of the centralized processing centers for the PERM and Backlog Reduction Centers is expected to be molded into the new reengineered labor certification systems by the HQ in the forms of Directives and Memorandums. We just hope that the policies and directions be not molded into a restrictive and conservative shell leading to rise of the rate of denials. We also hope that most of 300,000 backlog cases be not only adjudicated swiftly but also liberally so that the 300,000 souls soon see the bright light at the end of tunnel in the near future.

Approved

My case has been approved and moved to Philly office according to my attorney. Sesa had lost my file and we were asked to send the copies again with the new application. We did that about a month ago and today I came to know that my application is with Philly now.

My application was filled in 2003 November.

Congrats Suagup!!

Was it 2003 November or 2001/2 November?

saugup said:
My case has been approved and moved to Philly office according to my attorney. Sesa had lost my file and we were asked to send the copies again with the new application. We did that about a month ago and today I came to know that my application is with Philly now.

My application was filled in 2003 November.

That really sucks. Effectively it is not moving at all. There is significant movment in other states (mostly the dates move by weeks if not months).

At last update RIR was at 17th March 02 (Sunday). Now after more than 2 weeks it is at 19th March 02 (Tuesday). So they just processed one day applications (Monday). Really frustrating.

mdgc2001

General phone 410 767 2058 is not updated.
But Yolanda updated her voice mail, according to her voice mail that is the date.

Thanks NMRA! Keep posting the updates whenever you see the dates change.
I e-mailed Yolanda a couple of times but she never replied to me.

Looking at the processing dates in MD for the past several months, they are mostly processing NON-RIR. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Hey guys

VA is racing ahead, and we poor souls are being tortured by MD SESA. Latest updates from VA:

RIR: March 4, 2003
Non-RIR: May 6, 2002

VA was also stuck at April 2001 along with MD, but since then, they have improved so much that they are almost a year ahead of MD for RIR and even more for non-RIR. MD SESA sucks! WE pay much higher taxes in MD and what do we get in return? TORTURE. I am cursintg that day when I decided to take up my job in MD.

Hey, don't lose hope.
It's like a traffic jam and everybody feels that the lane in which he/she is driving is the slowest. I know in our case it's been running slow for a lot longer. Look at DC. They are still in April 01.

Let's hope for something good to happen with MD. Like, it may so happen that cases from MD will be transfered to backlog reduction centre and it may be far ahead of VA (+ no wait at DOL).

We'll get there someday.

Garfield said:
Hey guys

VA is racing ahead, and we poor souls are being tortured by MD SESA. Latest updates from VA:

RIR: March 4, 2003
Non-RIR: May 6, 2002

VA was also stuck at April 2001 along with MD, but since then, they have improved so much that they are almost a year ahead of MD for RIR and even more for non-RIR. MD SESA sucks! WE pay much higher taxes in MD and what do we get in return? TORTURE. I am cursintg that day when I decided to take up my job in MD.

Cases from MD will be transfered to backlog reduction centre !!!

Hi pgarg,,

Cases from MD will be transfered to backlog reduction centre !!! Are u sure..
some body was saying BRC will handle Federal only NOT state .. If u have more information please clarify ...

Like is there any cut-off date for MD state to transfer to BRC

BRC - Backlog Reduction Center

Cheers...

I'm sorry if my previous mail meant that the cases from MD are getting transfered to BRC. I'm just hoping that something like that happens. I don't have any information or news on that.

Let's hope for something good to happen with MD.....

Oh.. ok...

Thank u pgarg for quick response.....

Let's hope for something good to happen with MD.....

Cheers..

This is just a clarification of the issue raised by Venu2000 about BRC. Look at the murthy.com bulletin article published on July 23, 04. The BRC will first start processing the cases backlogged at the federal regions. Particularly the BRC in Philly will start processing cases pending at Philly DOL first. They may transfer the cases from state SESAs, but it is not clear when they intend to do that. We just have to wait and see. But my guess is that it would be at least another 6 months before MD SESA can take advantage of BRC at Philly.

I include the paragraph from murty.com bulletin article. Look at the last two sentences in the first paragraph. Go to the site to read the complete article. I too wish that something good happens at MD SESA soon.

mdgc2001.

"Procedure for Processing Cases at the Backlog Centers:
The NCO will issue a directive to the SWA or regional office regarding how to identify the cases to be transferred. For each case transferred from an SWA, the centralized processing site will complete all the functions normally performed by the SWA and the Regional Certifying Officer. If the case is unique or complex, the central processing site will consult with the NCO, who may assume responsibility for completion of the case. The NCO may also direct that certain types of cases be sent from their respective centralized processing sites to the national office of the Department of Labor. We also note that, although cases can be transferred from the SWAs, the DOL has stated that the plan is to transfer cases initially from regional offices, as explained below."

"We do not expect that all cases caught in the backlog will be sent immediately to the central processing sites. The NCO is permitted to send cases to these sites, but is not required to do so. As detailed in the earlier MurthyBulletin article, cited above, the DOL intends to send cases from
the Philadelphia and Dallas federal regions to these centers first, followed by cases from the Atlanta and Chicago federal regions. Atlanta and Chicago are also expected to be the two future homes of centralized PERM processing centers. After those case transfers are complete, cases from other regions may be added. Since the NCO has discretion in this matter, however, this plan
may change at any time."

Any estimates as to how many RIR LC Applications has the MD SESA received since March 2002 :confused: 50,000? 100,000?

Trying to judge how long will it take to process a application filed in Jan 2003.

hope27485 said:
Any estimates as to how many RIR LC Applications has the MD SESA received since March 2002 :confused: 50,000? 100,000?

Trying to judge how long will it take to process a application filed in Jan 2003.

I would hope not too many, as economy was in a bad shape at that time. However, it doesn't matter coz whether there are 100 or 100,000 applications, someone has to work on those to certify them. TA present, it seems like those idiots at MD SESA dont do any work :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.