marry and overstay visa?

sunshine10

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone.
here is my situation. i have been in the us for a year now on a J-1 visa which expires in february. if i marry my boyfriend of two years who is a us citizen (has dual citizenship, born in the us), is it ok to stay in the us and file papers, although my visa will have expired by then? thank you in advance!

sunshine10 said:
hello everyone.
here is my situation. i have been in the us for a year now on a J-1 visa which expires in february. if i marry my boyfriend of two years who is a us citizen (has dual citizenship, born in the us), is it ok to stay in the us and file papers, although my visa will have expired by then? thank you in advance!

You under no circumstances should leave :eek: You are to stay in the USA while your paperwork is being processed. You won't be out of status. Once paperwork is filed, your status is considered "pending" and you won't be in an overstay situation at all. You are good. Don't worry. Just prepare paperwork accurately and enjoy your marriage. Best Wishes. :)

sunshine10 said:
hello everyone.

Hi:

Do you have a 2yr foreign residency requirement on your J-1 visa? This is a possible obstacle. Otherwise I do not see a problem based on the facts provided.