Married in US for 4 years... no paper work.

good question but I think this is how you are going to be nailed, you just need an id for traveling internally, you don't need your AP.
but if you don't have driving license then you need an ID, so to show a British Passport, then you might get a way with it or you might be question about visa and all that and you will be nailed. so it is not about the AP and traveling internally.

GeneralG, Where are you from originally and what exactly are you saying here?

Southner - Haha, that was comical, perhaps some good tips? When I last spoke to my lawer she mentioned a simple travel visa to allow entry back into the states? as I am married I am told there is no ban, but there will be problems... as I experienced before.

Sounds like your lawyer was talking about travel on AP (parole), but as noted by others, the "no ban" for those married to a USC only takes effect for travel after you've obtained your GC.

Don't Give Up

Hi Dan,

Your biggest problem is probably going to be coming up with the application fees. You can file the paperwork yourself but before you do, there's some things that might help you. My late husband was from Pakistan and we did all of the right things, filing the paperwork (thru and attorney) and so on. The process was made easier because everything was in our names jointly. Since there are many people who get married just for immigration purposes, the government is on the lookout for these types. My husband and I had a true marriage but we were also wary about the immigration process so we made sure that our bank accounts were joint, we had pictures and copies of hotel bills from trips we took, including our honeymoon and so on. Make sure you have as much information as possible to prove your marriage is real. Then make sure to file every piece of paperwork they ask for. My husband and I did and when we moved, we called immigration and told them that we moved and they changed our address in the records. But, even though we did that and can prove it by the fact that they had our new address in their data base, because we didnt actually complete some form that we didnt know about, he lost his status. After 5 years of marriage and a mountain of paperwork, they wanted us to file again. I believe the stress of the threat of being sent back to Pakistan contributed heavily to his death. Therefore, before you do anything, read as much as you can on immigration before you file. There is a website that has a lot of information in easy to read language that you can register with and it also has information on the immigration lottery: http://myusai.com/usai.php?src=71
Good luck babe and I hope it all works out for you. Remember that knowledge is power!

website is bogus..

Hi Dan,

Your biggest problem is probably going to be coming up with the application fees. You can file the paperwork yourself but before you do, there's some things that might help you. My late husband was from Pakistan and we did all of the right things, filing the paperwork (thru and attorney) and so on. The process was made easier because everything was in our names jointly. Since there are many people who get married just for immigration purposes, the government is on the lookout for these types. My husband and I had a true marriage but we were also wary about the immigration process so we made sure that our bank accounts were joint, we had pictures and copies of hotel bills from trips we took, including our honeymoon and so on. Make sure you have as much information as possible to prove your marriage is real. Then make sure to file every piece of paperwork they ask for. My husband and I did and when we moved, we called immigration and told them that we moved and they changed our address in the records. But, even though we did that and can prove it by the fact that they had our new address in their data base, because we didnt actually complete some form that we didnt know about, he lost his status. After 5 years of marriage and a mountain of paperwork, they wanted us to file again. I believe the stress of the threat of being sent back to Pakistan contributed heavily to his death. Therefore, before you do anything, read as much as you can on immigration before you file. There is a website that has a lot of information in easy to read language that you can register with and it also has information on the immigration lottery: http://myusai.com/usai.php?src=71
Good luck babe and I hope it all works out for you. Remember that knowledge is power!

Hi,

The website contained in your post is bogus and dangerous. The only website you should refer people for diversity lottery is department of state, because it is run by the govt, not some people looking to steal your personal information and screw you...:eek:

be careful what you refer people to... these website are all over the world, scamming people with promises to coming to the US, and most people never make it...:rolleyes:

GeneralG, Where are you from originally and what exactly are you saying here?

you really want my personal info? here?? :rolleyes:
all of what I'm saying is, you can totally travel internally in the US with a driving license, otherwise if you show a foreign passport (which most likely will be examined) then you will be more vulnerable to be exposed as of where and when did you enter the US.

can you please read the previous posts?

you really want my personal info? here?? :rolleyes:
all of what I'm saying is, you can totally travel internally in the US with a driving license, otherwise if you show a foreign passport (which most likely will be examined) then you will be more vulnerable to be exposed as of where and when did you enter the US.

can you please read the previous posts?

Hey G, unless the law has changed with the threat levels, the regulations say that you can travel just with a photo ID.

I personally traveled many times by plane with just my VALID passport, although out of status.

I am not advising anyone to do the same, but since in his case he already has the notices of action for AOS, his or his wife's status (talking about bbchickenrobot, not OP) is I think is set to "ADJUSTEE".

Therefore there is even less to worry about. I didn't have any of that and hadn't filed any AOS papers at the time and I was fine.

The regulations state (stated) at least back up to 6 months ago that if you travel within the US you need a valid photo ID:US DL (if you have one), American or Foreign passport.

Now I DEFINITELY wouldn't advise to go to Hawaii and Alaska. Back in the days when I was in good normal F1 status with current I-20, they checked just my valid passport at Dulles and LAX airports but on the way back from HAWAii they checked for student status at Hawaii airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey G, unless the law has changed with the threat levels, the regulations say that you can travel just with a photo ID.

I personally traveled many times by plane with just my VALID passport, although out of status.

I am not advising anyone to do the same, but since in his case he already has the notices of action for AOS, his or his wife's status (talking about bbchickenrobot, not OP) is I think is set to "ADJUSTEE".

Therefore there is even less to worry about. I didn't have any of that and hadn't filed any AOS papers at the time and I was fine.

The regulations state (stated) at least back up to 6 months ago that if you travel within the US you need a valid photo ID:US DL (if you have one), American or Foreign passport.

Now I DEFINITELY wouldn't advise to go to Hawaii and Alaska. Back in the days when I was in good normal F1 status with current I-20, they checked just my valid passport at Dulles and LAX airports but on the way back from HAWAii they checked for student status at Hawaii airport.

I wonder if you may noticed or may not noticed, I DID MENTION YOU MAY GET AWAY WITH IT OR YOU MAY NOT !!!!

To the OP,

You don't need a lawyer to file for paperwork. My husband and I did it on our own, just go online and request the for the forms and follow the instructions and mail the checks and other requirements to the lockbox. You don't have to worry because your marriage is real, you have been married for four years! Just make sure you have enough money to pay for the applications and the medical exam and the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) has to be valid, either signed by your wife or if she doesn't make enough money, she'll need a co-signer like her parents.

It doesn't matter that you've overstayed in the US. Just don't leave the US, even if you overstayed or worked illegally you will be pardoned by being the spouse of a US Citizen. That's the truth. I have been overstaying for a freaking decade and I didn't get in trouble for it.

So, curious... what if you have overstayed and you are traveling by airplane WIHTOUT an AP to the inter-continental 48 states? Will they nail you there as well? I.E. - you were married before over stay, you filed AoS after you fell out of status (but were married already) and then get on an airplane, let's say from LA to Vegas or Chicago...

Hi BBQChicken,

Anybody can travel within the US, as long as you have an ID that matches the name on the plane ticket. When they ask for an ID, it's for identification purposes only, it's not like they're going to call the USCIS when they suspect something. Can you imagine the thousands and thousands of people who go in and out of airports on a daily basis, they can't possibly check or report everyone, it's just not cost-effective.

I just got my greencard this week! Prior to that I have flown all over the US from Los Angeles or Burbank Airport to airports in Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis, Chicago, Florida, Colorado, etc. I do have a valid CA license that I use when I get asked for identification but I'm sure any other ID is okay. As long as you're not leaving the US you're okay. I have never left the US, I never attempted coz I know it's wrong, not even to Mexico or Canada, but now I can :)

Constructus, I'm a little worried by your post re:Hawaii. I'm supposed to travel there next week from LA, and I was under the impression that this was intra-US travel and thus not connected in any way to "immigration."

I'm an F-1 student (still in status) just married to a USC. I filed my I-130, I-485 etc this week.

I know I shouldn't be travelling outside the US anymore (without AP, at least) until I get my green card, because even if I am readmitted with my F-1 visa it will trigger all the "you used your non-immigrant visa to reenter the US even though you were obviously intending to immigrate" stuff. But I thought Hawaii was safe! Are they really going to have an issue with me "reentering" from Hawaii?

Hi guys I was on a F1 visa. I got out of status (a year after I met my wife USC). We lived together for two more years before we started the procedure. Note that I had no intention on staying here in the first place, and then decided she was the one that's why I let my status get out of whack.

I thought that once married to USC, it didn't matter that you were not in status? I thought as long as he entered legally (k-1 visa) and can prove it with I-94 everything was fine since he married a USC?

That's what I was told till now and that's why I filed mine and you can see my timeline. Things seem to be moving alright because USCIS says to prove that you have prove the basis for qualifying for AOS: in our case isn't it: immediate relative of a USC?

I think, the only problem in his case is with the finances. If he has the money to file
I-130, I-485, I-765 (to work), I-693 (medical doctors) it should be enough: am I not right here guys?

He would also probably just need a co-sponsor: RIGHT?

A lawyer could be good, but is it really that necessary?

You are correct.

I really don't like smart a**es, I didn't make that out of nowhere.
I have a friend who is married for 6 years to his wife (the resident alien) which doesn't have a status whom she leaves the US back and forth voluntarily all that time, so she never stayed here for continuously. how did they know, by running a credit check.

her husband is trying to do the same thing and their lawyer (who they can totally afford) with the immigration asked her to do the same thing, leave the US voluntarily and let your husband apply for GC again!!! :rolleyes:

you are suggesting to avoid contacting the USCIS and do it quietly, how smart, as if they won't know about this case until his GC interview approved and they will go ooops we missed this one.. right?

Your advice is incorrect, please nomore...you will get this guy deported if he listens to you.