Married after asylum approval and before applying green card.

freedomland

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
When I checked my case status online, it says "Case status cannot be found" so I guess I am approved. (Yay!!! :) ) But, I have one more problem: my wife case status has been unchanged.
We got married after my asylum status got approved. And, she could not file for derivative asylee because we need to be married before the asylum application was filed. So, when the time came to file I-485 for green card, my lawyer include her in the application even though she was not a derivative asylee. And, we have been going for finger print together, sending required documentation together. And, today, only my case status is changed so I am worried about her case.
So, have anybody been through like this or do you know anybody whose case like my wife case got approved??? I cannot find any threads or cases like to this forum. So, please help us!!!

Thanks a lot!

freedomland said:
Hello,
When I checked my case status online, it says "Case status cannot be found" so I guess I am approved. (Yay!!! :) ) But, I have one more problem: my wife case status has been unchanged.
We got married after my asylum status got approved. And, she could not file for derivative asylee because we need to be married before the asylum application was filed. So, when the time came to file I-485 for green card, my lawyer include her in the application even though she was not a derivative asylee. And, we have been going for finger print together, sending required documentation together. And, today, only my case status is changed so I am worried about her case.
So, have anybody been through like this or do you know anybody whose case like my wife case got approved??? I cannot find any threads or cases like to this forum. So, please help us!!!

Thanks a lot!

What do you mean 'your wife was included on your I485 based on your asylee status?' I believe even if she is married to you, your getting GC through your asylum status has nothing to do with her. She will need to file her own I-485 when you get your GC. Her I485 will be based on a marriage to a GC holder (I think will take quite a few years for her to get her GC). Was she legal all this time while you guys were waiting for your I485? At least this is what I remember from my experience. The immigration law on this may have changed. Anybody else can help Freedomland?

freedomland said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot!

Congratulations, by the way!

Hi 14ksusha & nasrmobin,
Thanks for your reply. And, sorry for the confusion. when I say "include her in the application process" meant we filed two seprate I-485 applications (one for me and one for her). And, yes, she has legal status all the time and she is F1 student. And, I heard about "Follow-to-join" special case but I am not quite sure what it is. Anyone know about this? Can her situation be treated as "follow-to-join" case?

freedomland said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot!

Can you ask your lawer what was the reason for filing I-485 for your wife? Right now it sounds like non-sense.

freedomland said:
Hi 14ksusha & nasrmobin,
Thanks for your reply. And, sorry for the confusion. when I say "include her in the application process" meant we filed two seprate I-485 applications (one for me and one for her). And, yes, she has legal status all the time and she is F1 student. And, I heard about "Follow-to-join" special case but I am not quite sure what it is. Anyone know about this? Can her situation be treated as "follow-to-join" case?

What was her application based on? Yours was based on asylum status, what about hers? Sounds like she will need to file a new I485 based on her marriage to a GC holder (you, when you get your CG). It will take a few years for her to get adjusted. The good things is that she has a legal status here, so there will be no adverse circumstances.

Today, I got my green card and welcome letter in the mail. (it is fast!! I was expecting to get this in next week.) My online status is still "case status cannot be found." My wife case is still unchanged.

I would like to thank you all for your support and suggestion!!

Let me call my parents! Talk to you later.

Okay... i have a similar question... i'm from Indonesia
my asylum case got approved on June 9th 2008... and then.. i will apply for green card after june 9th 2009, right?!
but i'm getting married with my girlfriend on July 2009 in Singapore... and she live in Singapore because of school..she's from Indonesia as well.. so.. if i got green card through asylum... can i take her to USA? what's her status would be? can she go back to Indonesia to visit her parents like for a week? and should i apply green card as "single" or "married"? please help me with this problem.. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you explain what category she is applying under.As far as I remember, there is not anything on I-485 she can apply based on.Hopefully I am wrong but I am sure that she will not get approval based on your case.

Okay... i have a similar question... i'm from Indonesia
my asylum case got approved on June 9th 2008... and then.. i will apply for green card after june 9th 2009, right?!
but i'm getting married with my girlfriend on July 2009 in Singapore... and she live in Singapore because of school..she's from Indonesia as well.. so.. if i got green card through asylum... can i take her to USA? what's her status would be? can she go back to Indonesia to visit her parents like for a week? and should i apply green card as "single" or "married"? please help me with this problem.. thank you.

hi.

I think, you can apply for GC on may/mei 9(sembilan) 2009, 30 days grace period.

twisted situation :|
try to get free/paid consultations from some good (2-3) lawyers, what is the best scenario.

@Freedomland

I am not sure if you still visit this blog but i have same situation like yours and i was wondering if you could help me with any kind of information. I really appreciate your help and information.

Thanks