• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage Licence - from home country or anywhere?

smcg

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Have sent off my forms to KCC as I was selected for the DV2009 lottery.

I am looking to marry my long term girlfriend before the end of the year and get on my applications too.

Just finding out the issue ridiculously here is you sign up with the registar for the marriage and then you have to wait a minimum of 3 months before getting married.
Thing is though seem earliest date to sign up and start the 3 month wait is November - which pushes it out far too far past my deadline and too close to the interview stage.
Just want a simple quick small registry office thing. Nothing big or anything.

So for the marriage license (in order to get my wife on my application) does it need to be from my home country?
Or can we just go to the US or some other country and get married and get a marriage license out of that that will work for the application?

would really appreciate your advise and help

Where is here?

We are from Australia but got married in Las Vegas, it was a planned thing as we wanted a Star Trek wedding...not because we wanted to get the visa.

The only issue we had was changing my name to my married name back in Australia. I had to change my name with the department of Birth, Deaths & Marriages in the state I was born (Queensland). As all the paperwork relevant to the visa had to be in my married name (including medical paperwork, passport etc) we had to be sure there was enough time between getting married and changing my name on everything! It takes a while so give yourself approx. 3 months to do all the paperwork.

Check with the relevant authorities in your country whether they will recognize an overseas marriage certificate as legal before you do anything.

thanks. Here is Ireland.

You really have to go through all that hassle?

Is that only if the woman chooses to change her name?
Surely its just get married and get the license cert and few days later or on the day.

Doesnt matter to me if she changes her name or not. If she doesnt then am i right in thinking there isnt the issues that you went through with getting passports etc changed? Should be ready to go with adding her to the application as soon as we get the marriage license?

Thanks

I would say it would be ok. As I said though, just check with your local authorities that wherever you decide to get married is accepted as legal in your home country.

I only changed my name because of personal reasons...was never planning on it but loved my husbands family so much and his dad got brain cancer and passed away a couple of years ago & we were really really close (he used to call me his twin) so felt the need to go through the name change for him.

Where is here?

We are from Australia but got married in Las Vegas, it was a planned thing as we wanted a Star Trek wedding...not because we wanted to get the visa.

The only issue we had was changing my name to my married name back in Australia. I had to change my name with the department of Birth, Deaths & Marriages in the state I was born (Queensland). As all the paperwork relevant to the visa had to be in my married name (including medical paperwork, passport etc) we had to be sure there was enough time between getting married and changing my name on everything! It takes a while so give yourself approx. 3 months to do all the paperwork.

Check with the relevant authorities in your country whether they will recognize an overseas marriage certificate as legal before you do anything.
Does the spouse's last name have to match the husband's as you mention above? Isn't it possible to have different last names for husband and wife?

As I just said in my last post, it would be ok to have different last names, as long as you can prove you are legally married. I had to make sure everything was in my married name because that is the name I put on the forms sent to KCC.

marriage certificate needs to be from the country where you actually married. Where you marry - is up to you.

What about trying over in the UK? I bet that they don’t have the ridiculous three month rule thing that has come here in Ireland, and would be relatively cheap to get to for any one that wanted to comet to it.
Consequently are you actually telling me that If I wanted to get married I would have to wait till November and then a further 3 months from that? So the earliest time you could get married from now is next February? That’s crazy! Typical Irish bureaucracy :)